Wye and Usk Foundation

fruitowl

Reaction score
Does anyone live local or fished the Upper and Lower Canon Bridge stretches of the Wye been looking at booking one of these stretches for opening day next year.
Would be interested in any information people may have.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I'm not absolutely sure but if you do a ' search ' using the names you've mentioned you may well find something...

I put a Thread out some time ago on WUF and some didn't seem to like them at all....................

Anyway, have a quick look !

ps You obviously know you can receive a regular WUF email on local river conditions etc via the website

aebitim

Reaction score
Have posted about the Wye a few times and its a waste of time,
Have you fished the Wye before, if the answer is yes then go for it, if the answer is no then find somebody who has fished it and buy them a ticket and a beer.
May sound a bit harsh but fed up with posting about 12lb straight through and losing loads of tackle only to hear that the hooklength snapped and lost loads of tackle etc etc in the catch report,
I fish the Wye a fair bit and if your fishing the cannons because thats the local solution then enjoy, will probably be fishing a few miles upstream on opening week and I quite like beer.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
And I can help if you are wanting to fish the Hay on Wye area.

A useful link for the entire river is the EA site. Google 'Wye river level' and 'Hay' (or wherever you want to fish) for an up to date report on what the river is doing.

fruitowl

Reaction score
Have posted about the Wye a few times and its a waste of time,
Have you fished the Wye before, if the answer is yes then go for it, if the answer is no then find somebody who has fished it and buy them a ticket and a beer.
May sound a bit harsh but fed up with posting about 12lb straight through and losing loads of tackle only to hear that the hooklength snapped and lost loads of tackle etc etc in the catch report,
I fish the Wye a fair bit and if your fishing the cannons because thats the local solution then enjoy, will probably be fishing a few miles upstream on opening week and I quite like beer.

my main line if 15lb I never fish straight through after my very first session a barbel snapped me and took 5ft of line with the hook fortunately my friend at the time then caught it and we removed the line.
as for fishing am just looking at the wye I fancy a change from the severn and plan to be somewhere on opening day.

pikepro1

Reaction score
I fished Lower Canon Bridge last summer during the hot weather we had. My brother had 1 Barbel and we had 6 chub between us. We couldn't have fished it in worse conditions, low with an algal bloom, scorching heat and not a cloud in the sky. Be prepared for a good 20 minute (fast paced) walk to the river from the car so travel light! The top end of the beat is shallower and I donned the chesties and waded over to the far side to try and winkle out a chub from under the bushes...I failed! There aren't too many swims accessible unless since I was there they've done some bank clearance. Although we struggled, the beat has featured in several of Dean Macey's tv programmes and proven that there are plenty to go at in there.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I'd say go for it. The wye is a great river to fish, i think the point Tim was making is that people can end up going rather underprepared... I certainly cant imagine what would happen if i ever took on the wye with the feeder gear I use on the thames. I doubt if i'd ever retrieve either fish or terminal tackle on a single cast! But i suspect the severn can probably throw all that at you too.

On even my best wye sessions, i've usually lost a fair number of feeders - funny how the best pegs are often the ones that eat tackle. That's ok, i make my own now, so i'm not throwing away £2.50 every time i cast.

The only other issue with the WUF beats is that the prebooking means you'll often be committing yourself to fishing well before you know what the conditions will be like, and like Geoff says the EA level guides are an excellent resource for finding out what the river is doing (and importanly, what it's been doing over the weeks before your visit). Based on that, you can make some decisions on what to take with you, if it's lower than normal then I will generally do a bit of trotting during the middle of the day.... however, you may be lucky and catch it when it's just dropping nicely from some higher water, in which case a normal groundbait feeder approach will work all day.

Last year on the 16th, that's exactly what the wye was doing, it had been quite high right at the start of June and had dropped a bit for the start of the season but still had more colour than you might have expected, the chub in the river were absolutely suicidal and this created a problem I've never encountered before, how do I keep a bait in the water long enough for a barbel to find it without it being grabbed by a chub?! I never managed to work the problem out, but I did catch nearly twenty chub between 2 and 4 pounds trying!

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want to loose the chub then feed floating bread, eventually they will start to drop downstream to follow it. It used to work at Bransford on the Teme about 10 years ago and I can't see the Wye chub being any different.

onemorelastcast

Reaction score
I'd say go for it. The wye is a great river to fish, i think the point Tim was making is that people can end up going rather underprepared... I certainly cant imagine what would happen if i ever took on the wye with the feeder gear I use on the thames. I doubt if i'd ever retrieve either fish or terminal tackle on a single cast! But i suspect the severn can probably throw all that at you too.

On even my best wye sessions, i've usually lost a fair number of feeders - funny how the best pegs are often the ones that eat tackle. That's ok, i make my own now, so i'm not throwing away £2.50 every time i cast.

The only other issue with the WUF beats is that the prebooking means you'll often be committing yourself to fishing well before you know what the conditions will be like, and like Geoff says the EA level guides are an excellent resource for finding out what the river is doing (and importanly, what it's been doing over the weeks before your visit). Based on that, you can make some decisions on what to take with you, if it's lower than normal then I will generally do a bit of trotting during the middle of the day.... however, you may be lucky and catch it when it's just dropping nicely from some higher water, in which case a normal groundbait feeder approach will work all day.

Last year on the 16th, that's exactly what the wye was doing, it had been quite high right at the start of June and had dropped a bit for the start of the season but still had more colour than you might have expected, the chub in the river were absolutely suicidal and this created a problem I've never encountered before, how do I keep a bait in the water long enough for a barbel to find it without it being grabbed by a chub?! I never managed to work the problem out, but I did catch nearly twenty chub between 2 and 4 pounds trying!

I had a similar problem the first time I fished the Wye, nearly every take was from a chub, and mostly I was striking into nothing. A local advised me to bait band a 14 mm pellet and wait for the run to develop from a barbel, I didn't own a bait runner in those days so had to slacken off the clutch, but despite a lot of fumbling it worked and every take was a barbel.
The reasoning was that chub 'feel' the bait which results in those tap tap's whilst barbel of course don't and will cover' the bait, simple eh?

greenie62

Reaction score
...A local advised me to bait band a 14 mm pellet and wait for the run to develop from a barbel, I didn't own a bait runner in those days so had to slacken off the clutch, but despite a lot of fumbling it worked and every take was a barbel.
The reasoning was that chub 'feel' the bait which results in those tap tap's whilst barbel of course don't and will cover' the bait, simple eh?

Sounds like "give 'em a big enough bait and they'll catch 'emselves" - can't wait to try that one! ;)
Tight Lines!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Sit on your hands.... always good barbel advice (as long as you remembered to turn on the bait runner....)

I'm vaguely hopeful that this (relatively) warm weather will continue... another week or two of this and a degree or three warmer and the last week of the season could be very productive.

arthur2sheds

Reaction score
I have heard conflicting stories about the WUF some like it, some don't, as an alternative you could try the Red Lion at Bredwardine's stretch... they have four beats that are easily accessible and are quite prolific.... and a hell of a sight cheaper than the WUF stretches... the bailiff is knowledgeable and friendly and will put you onto fish and Mike, the Guv'nor of the Red Lion keeps a nice pint and the grub there is brilliant... give it a look-see

jasonbean1

Reaction score
i fished that beat a couple of years ago and caught a few barbel and chub..nothing special and very hard work. its quite a long stretch but with very few decent swims. the top bits shallow and weedy then it comes to the big wall and then goes off as a featurless canal like bit to the end. to be honest the WUF waters are not woth the money, there not particularly well looked after, alot have poor access with very few swims. i know i wont fish there waters again.

as i've said before the best value is Hereford on a day ticket miles of water good access and fishable in any condition and free honest advice from Woody's tackle as long as you spend a few quid.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Bear in mind that WUF only sell tickets. They don't own these stretches, they only sell the fishing for them and they get commission on those ticket sales. They have no responsibility for the banks/access etc and don't really care as long as they sell tickets - which is their priority.
The river at Hereford is very different to the river at Hay, you might as well be fishing a different river so it's not really for comparing. When it's rained in the preceding days, the fishing on one section of the river can be wiped out whilst a half hours drive up or down-stream can fish really well. Hence the importance of the EA site.

....and Brewardine and Hay are much prettier places to fish than in Hereford town... ;)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I know Geoff, I fished your stretch a couple of years ago, I stayed at peters on Steve popes first gig!