First (real) go at floodwater fishing

cal_sutt

Reaction score
Over my (few) years of fishing I've never had a real go at winter floodwater barbel fishing as I only properly started barbel fishing this summer just gone. I'm hopefully planning a fair few trips down to my local River Idle over the next few weeks as I walked by it the other day and it is up a good foot or two and very coloured so I think now is about the right time to give it a crack. I did fish it in November targeting chub with a great deal of success, however it was still extremely low and clear for the time of year.

My first trip shall be Wednesday I think, when the river is low I typically tend to fish the link leger with three or sometimes four SSG shots. I'm assuming a 1/2oz bomb would be appropriate now that it has an extra 18 inches or so of water but will probably take a couple of 1oz with me just to be safe.

Has anyone got any tips on good winter baits and feeding techniques? Would be much appreciated! :w

greenie62

Reaction score
......I walked by it the other day and it is up a good foot or two and very coloured so I think now is about the right time to give it a crack..... when the river is low I typically tend to fish the link leger with three or sometimes four SSG shots. I'm assuming a 1/2oz bomb would be appropriate now that it has an extra 18 inches or so of water but will probably take a couple of 1oz with me just to be safe.....

Hi Cal,
My local river has dropped from 4ft above normal - down to about 1ft above when I recce-ed it the other day, and is still dropping down slowly.
The biggest surprise you might find is in some of the pools you've been used to in the summer-autumn may have changed their shape and contours as well as having lumps of log and branches in them from well upstream.

I'd be tempted to stick with your normal 3-4SSG link-leger to start with - and try to find the resting places - bearing in mind there may well be tons of detritus on the river bed - maybe even lengthen the link and/or hook-length so you stay out of the mucky bits as much as poss. Only go up to an oz if you really need to get it down quick because of the rate of flow, rather than the depth.

H&S note: Take care on the banks - some of mine have been undercut/washed-out and are only there because of surface tree roots - in some cases the trees are only there because of the same roots - the whole lot could give way very easily then bury you in falling tree-trunks!:eek::eek: Take Care!

thecrow

Reaction score
Fishing upstream will require less lead than down, fishing downstream bottom can be held quiet easily if after the lead has settled you let out a large bow of line. try to imagine where will be comfortable for the fish to lie in floodwater conditions, a lot of the time it will be closer to the near bank than you would imagine.