Barbel east anglia

justabitpikey

Reaction score
Hi all

So I'm based near bury st edmunds in suffolk which isn't exactly spoilt for choice when it comes to rivers...

Thing is that I'm mad keen to do a bit of barbel fishing. So where do you all reckon is my nearest reasonable chance of catching barbel? I've heard that the barbel stocks in the stour leave a bit to be desired so where else? Are there any stretches of the wensum that are on a day ticket basis?

Thanks in anticipation

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
River Lee, the Great Ouse or the Nene are probably your best bets. I don't think there are many on your doorstep and you'll struggle to find Wensum bank that isn't on a syndicate - that which isn't, has been ottered, too. A shadow of its former self as a barbel river.
But maybe someone knows differently

john step

Reaction score
Whilst barbeling on the Trent I had a conversation with an angler from Norwich.
He makes the long trip several times a season and kips in his car or a bivvy to make the trips last a few days so making the journey worthwhile.

I queried why the Trent, as the Wensum had barbel. His humerous reply was
"It's been caught".

hyperdrive

Reaction score
River Lee, the Great Ouse or the Nene are probably your best bets. I don't think there are many on your doorstep and you'll struggle to find Wensum bank that isn't on a syndicate - that which isn't, has been ottered, too. A shadow of its former self as a barbel river.
But maybe someone knows differently

This has just about summed it up. There has been some stocking in one stretch but they are still small and in that area you can have more fun with the dace, and the odd decent chub. making the trip to the trent could be worth it, makes a long day of it though

Keith M

Reaction score
River Lee, the Great Ouse or the Nene are probably your best bets.

You can add the river Ivel to this list of rivers that hold a good head of Barbel (which is between the river Lee and the Gt Ouse) and further south you could try the river Lodden near Reading which nicepix mentioned.

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
Hasn't the Loddon got any barbel?
I was stood on the banks of the Lodden in early November! all I could see in it was a jag, a women and two kids, it was flooded but , like some drivers on the outside lane of the M1 who can see in fog , she could make her car swim.:eek:mg:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
I am not a barbel angler but i would have thought it was the larger rivers e.g. Trent or Great Ouse mentioned in this thread that would offer best chances. In small rivers like the Wensum (and the Ivel to some extent too i think) otters have had a field day over the last 5-10 years. Perhaps that is why these rivers were never renowned for barbel back when otters were last around in numbers (say up to 1960s). In the case of the Wensum i know barbel weren't introduced there until late 60s/early 70s (same for chub too!). Perhaps the upper Lee4 which in understand is prolific for barbel hasnt had otters yet?. There are a few large urban areas that could prevent their spread up towards Luton!

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Perhaps the upper Lee which i
I understand is prolific for barbel hasnt had otters yet?. There are a few large urban areas that could prevent their spread up towards Luton!

You are right, the upper reaches of the lea (also called the Lee) do not suffer from having Otters or Crayfish (Yet) but the Otters and Crayfish are in the Lea further down the river so it probably won't be long.

Our Gt Ouse stretches have Otters and one of the members said that he had seen them swimming up and down right in front of him in broad daylight and the Otters weren't spooked at all by anglers.

Keith

Last edited:

Barrie Hicks 2

Reaction score
You are right, the upper reaches of the lea (also called the Lee) do not suffer from having Otters or Crayfish (Yet) but the Otters and Crayfish are in the Lea further down the river so it probably won't be long.

Our Gt Ouse stretches have Otters and one of the members said that he had seen them swimming up and down right in front of him in broad daylight and the Otters weren't spooked at all by anglers.

Keith

Sorry Keith but I live in Luton just a few mins walk from the Lea and I am afraid that there are crays in there. You are right in that there are not any (many?) yet, slightly lower downstream - Leasey/Marford etc, but I guess it wont be too long before the huge populations in the lower Lea and the small but growing population in Luton meet and join up!