Okuma Proforce.

bunnybantam

Reaction score
Hi all does anyone own a Okuma proforce baitfeeder reel ?.
I've just purchased a JW Young barbel rod and was thinking of getting the PFRB 30/130 Proforce to go with it.I've never had a baitrunner reel before ,in the past I've just been using the rear drag on my reel.However I'm wanting something more instant when striking .

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi all does anyone own a Okuma proforce baitfeeder reel ?.
I've just purchased a JW Young barbel rod and was thinking of getting the PFRB 30/130 Proforce to go with it.I've never had a baitrunner reel before ,in the past I've just been using the rear drag on my reel.However I'm wanting something more instant when striking .

Hi and welcome bunnybantam,

To be honest, i should stay clear of Okuma bait runners (and Shakespeare etc) and buy in to the only two companies that manufacture decent bait runners, Shimano (the innovators of the baitrunner system) and Daiwa! Okuma are not the quality reels that their advertising spiel makes you believe! I have had several of the centerpins that they produce, and while being ''fit for purpose'' they are not as reliable as they would have you believe!

Always remember, buy ****, buy twice!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hi and welcome bunnybantam,

To be honest, i should stay clear of Okuma bait runners (and Shakespeare etc) and buy in to the only two companies that manufacture decent bait runners, Shimano (the innovators of the baitrunner system) and Daiwa! Okuma are not the quality reels that their advertising spiel makes you believe! I have had several of the centerpins that they produce, and while being ''fit for purpose'' they are not as reliable as they would have you believe!

Always remember, buy ****, buy twice!

I've only ever had / got one okuma fixed spool but it was their best speck reel retaling over here in the UK at 200 notes (if you could find one) ! I only paid a quarter of that price to a foreign seller. I can't fault that particular reel but being honest I wouldn't buy any of their cheaper models.
I'm curious what prob's you've had with the centrepins Mark ? I have three different models ...a bowler, pro and sheffield and I haven't had any issues with 'em.

sumtime

Reaction score
I've had three Okuma's in the past (Epix), one was a baitrunner, couldn't fault them, I gave them to my youngest son who's reels and other gear went missing.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've only ever had / got one okuma fixed spool but it was their best speck reel retaling over here in the UK at 200 notes (if you could find one) ! I only paid a quarter of that price to a foreign seller. I can't fault that particular reel but being honest I wouldn't buy any of their cheaper models.
I'm curious what prob's you've had with the centrepins Mark ? I have three different models ...a bowler, pro and sheffield and I haven't had any issues with 'em.

Meant to tell you in my last PM mate,

the anodizing started to peel on the RAW (cant understand why it did that?)
and the bearings where faulty in the Sheffield, but probably just a one off...

Last edited by a moderator:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I don't think Okuma reels are anything like as good as they once were. I still have. a couple of the original Epix and 3 Epic Pros. Terrific reels for the money but in recent years their fs offerings IMO have become exceptionally ordinary. I have a Sheffield and that is great but I cant see me buying another Okuma f/s.

john step

Reaction score
I don't think Okuma reels are anything like as good as they once were. I still have. a couple of the original Epix and 3 Epic Pros. Terrific reels for the money but in recent years their fs offerings IMO have become exceptionally ordinary. I have a Sheffield and that is great but I cant see me buying another Okuma f/s.

That's very interesting as I would say that Okumas are good value and robust but they are old ones that have been in use for years with no problems.
If the newer ones are not so good that is very nice to know too.

I also have Shimanos and must say the freespool is so smooooth!

BUNNYBANTUM, I wonder if you are thinking about a small reel judging by the reel you mention. If that is so I think a 30 size would feel a bit undersize for a barbel rod. Consider a size up, a 40.
As I mentioned above Shimano are pretty good. I have one in a 40 size and cannot fault it.
My last trip of the season on the Trent saw me putting away the float rod due to heavy wind and getting out the barbel rod. To my dismay I realised I had bought the wrong reel..the 40 size Shimano instead of the big guns.
I have only 10lb bs on it but carried on nevertheless. I must say I was impressed and it coped very well with some nice fish caught but I wouldn't use it all the time for such heavy work.

bunnybantam

Reaction score
That's very interesting as I would say that Okumas are good value and robust but they are old ones that have been in use for years with no problems.
If the newer ones are not so good that is very nice to know too.

I also have Shimanos and must say the freespool is so smooooth!

BUNNYBANTUM, I wonder if you are thinking about a small reel judging by the reel you mention. If that is so I think a 30 size would feel a bit undersize for a barbel rod. Consider a size up, a 40.
As I mentioned above Shimano are pretty good. I have one in a 40 size and cannot fault it.
My last trip of the season on the Trent saw me putting away the float rod due to heavy wind and getting out the barbel rod. To my dismay I realised I had bought the wrong reel..the 40 size Shimano instead of the big guns.
I have only 10lb bs on it but carried on nevertheless. I must say I was impressed and it coped very well with some nice fish caught but I wouldn't use it all the time for such heavy work.
I do like the shimano reels,in terms of both drags been on the rear.Its just I cant really afford to buy them.I need 2 as my girlfriend also fishes with,she'd be a bit ****** off if I had a good reel and she didnt lol.
What about mitchell avocet are they any better ?.
And a 40 size reel would be fine,im only going to be fishing the swale but would love to fish the Trent sometime.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Meant to tell you in my last PM mate,

the anodizing started to peel on the RAW (cant understand why it did that?)
and the bearings where faulty in the Sheffield, but probably just a one off...

Now you've jogged my memory I have noticed the anodising is wearing off a pro, and that's after little use really. The anodising on a friends Bowler pin has worn off and it does look a mess, I haven't used mine a great deal but looking at the anodising it won't last long.
My sheffield is holding up ok, fingers crossed I haven't tempted fate with that statment :eek:mg:.

I know the older epix pro fixed spool reels supposadly functioned ok but I also know the paint peeled off after a short period.
The Okuma VS reel I got was their top end reel so i'm hoping it'll last !
At the end of the day Mark, I know you like quality tackle and it's hard to get it to a standard you would like. Everything seems to be built for a throw away society, even some of the higher end gear !

[ you have a PM ]

Last edited by a moderator:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Tigger,

You have a PM

Hi Peter,
thank's for the PM, i've just replied to it.
I've just noticed you've removed some of my post and said that i'd written an insulting comment.
I can't think what was insulting about it as I didn't name anyone.
Was it because the serial troll I refered to may realise I was referring to him get upset...and maybe start to throw some more insults about....as he usually does ?

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Bunnybantum, If the Shimano is too expensive go for something cheaper as you suggested. It will last a couple of seasons at least by which time you may be able to afford something better.
It will work after all and you can't fish without a reel.:)

The following is not my ideal view but it is something I have put on FM before regarding reels......
I have a fishing mate who is not very flush. He will not spend more than £10 on a reel. He catches an awful lot of fish. (Its sickening how many fish sometimes). After a year or two he bins it and goes off to a bargain outfit and gets another.
Folk can get too bothered by this and that spec, just like Hi Fi, cars, laptops etc.
They all work. Thing is to just get out and enjoy what you can afford.

bunnybantam

Reaction score
Well I've now been looking at shimano st 6000 reels £54 each on ebay,are these any good.One of my fave sayings is you get what you pay for,but being a yorkshireman im a tight ****** lol.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well I've now been looking at shimano st 6000 reels £54 each on ebay,are these any good.One of my fave sayings is you get what you pay for,but being a yorkshireman im a tight ****** lol.

You may not, but I'd consider the 6000 ST to be a bit big for Yorkshire river barbel fishing. Other than that, it's a perfectly good lower range Shimano reel. Personally, I'd go for a 4000 or 5000 sized Shimano or Daiwa. Unfortunately, for some reason, Shimano decided to cut the 5000 size from their standard Baitrunner ranges. If you find a 5000 sized Shimano Baitrunner, it's either second hand or new old stock.

If you wait for Bobco's bank holiday sale (rumoured to be on Easter Monday only and restricted to in store customers this year) you should be able to get 20% off any reel you fancy. That might make one or two more options viable or get you something you already fancied for a little less.

nicepix

Reaction score
I'd agree with Sam in that a 5000 size Shimano reel is about right for the type of fishing involved. However, I've found that Daiwa 5000 size reels are much bigger and a 3000 is roughly equal to my old 5000 Aeros.

It does seem odd that Shimano dropped the size of reel many found ideal.

Also, it seems that today's Okumas aren't as good a value for money as they used to be. Not so long ago I always used to be pleasantly surprised at the quality of an Okuma reel compared to more expensive brands. Not any more. Still good reels, but no longer the cheap equivalent to Shimano.

bunnybantam

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice,still not sure what to go for though.
I'm now looking at the Fox EOS 5000,does anyone have any info on theses reels?.They look nice enough but has an ugly bird would say looks arnt everything.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice,still not sure what to go for though.
I'm now looking at the Fox EOS 5000,does anyone have any info on theses reels?.They look nice enough but has an ugly bird would say looks arnt everything.

I would steer clear of fox reels, they make some decent rods but they can't seem to get the reels right...jmo of course.

B

binka

I would steer clear of fox reels, they make some decent rods but they can't seem to get the reels right...jmo of course.

Not just your opinion Ian, after owning two of them in the past I wouldn't go near one with a barge pole :eek:mg:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I quite like Okuma reels myself. I have had a couple and they are excellent, especially for the money.
I bought a Okuma Carbonite last year and it was useable, but not nice to use. I gave it away within the month. I usually buy top end reels and that may be why I was disappointed. Their centrepins are ok although the Sheffield I bought was badly out of balance.