River Ribble. one rod or two?

mickb

Reaction score
Hi all. I've fished for barbel on the Ribble for the past few years and have always fished with one rod even though I do own two. I'm not sure whether this season to try a two rod approach. I've thought about it time and time again and think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. My biggest concern is hooking two barbel on both rods at the same time or playing a barbel on one and then the other rod takes off. Also with two rods you can lose twice as much tackle with the Ribble being very snaggy and swimfeeders costing so much these days. The plus side is obviously double the chance of getting a bite and experimenting with different baits. Can anyone shed any light on this please? What do other Ribble barbel fishermen use?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have used two rods on occassions but as you say there are drawbacks. I think using a single rod as you do is a much more sensible approach.

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Save money make your own feeders. Setting out with one rod would keep you more mobile, tho the Ribble can be busy, mobility can be a boon. When you settle in to your 'last' swim you could still stay put, feed a part of it, leave it while fishing the far bank, then come back and cast over the feed after an hour or so. Lots of choices, most become 'enslaved' to what to rods dictate. You'll learn more about the river I'd bet and 'focus' better.

greenie62

Reaction score
I've frequently set-up 2 rods for the Ribble - a feeder on one and float on t'other - using whichever one is applicable for the swim at hand.

As Paul says a 'roving' approach can be used helping you to explore the water and get a better idea where you want to concentrate on in future.
In summer/autumn I might even take a fly rod as well - how can you walk past a stretch of water with fish rising? - I know - carry 2 feeder rods! :confused::eek::eek:mg:
Tight Lines!

Keith M

Reaction score
I would much rather be spending 100% of my concentration on one rod cast in the right spot than having to split my concentration between two rods.

Yes you might get a chance of an occasional extra bite on your second rod if you are lucky, but you will have to make sure that you don't get tangled with your first rod while you are playing your fish; plus you stand a good chance of getting another bite while you are still playing your first. Both good reasons to stick to just one rod when you are fishing for Barbel.

The only time I would think about using two rods for Barbel is if I'm fishing a water where Barbel were fairly scarce; but even then I would have to think very hard about it.

Keith

Last edited:

mickb

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The reasons you give are the exact reasons I have never fished with two rods for barbel. I never felt comfortable. Ive thought about it time and time again but never have. Its not as if you can use back leads on the Ribble to 'tuck' the line to the bottom so the lines don't get crossed whilst playing a fish. It seems that two rods are ok with two different rigs but never to fish the two rods together. I always thought that barbel anglers fishing two rods side by side are irresponsible as catching two barbel at the same time can happen no matter how low the odds. Thanks for the replies and good luck for the new season.

B

binka

Not aimed at the Ribble as such but I fish a single rod for barbel, I've had the odd session "carbelling" with two rods but I just don't find it relaxing or as enjoyable for fears of a double hook up which has happened.

I think Keith M summed it up perfectly by covering waters with two rods where they are sparse.

Reaction score
Hi all. I've fished for barbel on the Ribble for the past few years and have always fished with one rod even though I do own two. I'm not sure whether this season to try a two rod approach. I've thought about it time and time again and think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages. My biggest concern is hooking two barbel on both rods at the same time or playing a barbel on one and then the other rod takes off. Also with two rods you can lose twice as much tackle with the Ribble being very snaggy and swimfeeders costing so much these days. The plus side is obviously double the chance of getting a bite and experimenting with different baits. Can anyone shed any light on this please? What do other Ribble barbel fishermen use?

hi Mick,

A few bits of advice, if you are using 2 rods fish one upstream & ALWAYS use the baitrunner facility if you have it.
I have fished the Ribble for a few years now & done well using 2 rods, problem is if the fish on the upstram rod decides to go downstream & VV.
Good luck anyway mate Mrs Ribble is a fickle lady at the best of times, I have gone days without catching then had 16 in one afternoon/evening!

john step

Reaction score
Just a point on swimfeeder costs.
You can buy a sheet of fine wire mesh from hardware and garden centres which can be cut easily to make a tube. A strip of builders valley lead can be folded for the weight just like the shop bought ones.

Mine don't look as neat as the shop bought ones but they work just as well.

mickb

Reaction score
Hi John. I was thinking of making my own feeders after losing quite a few last year on the Ribble. Was looking at the different codes of lead flashing you can buy and wasn't sure which would be best. I believe a visit to the scrap yard is worthwhile too. I've given up the idea of two rods. Even the best barbel anglers in the country can't convince me to use two now.

---------- Post added at 02:48 ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 ----------

Then again the best barbel anglers in the country probably only use one rod anyway :)

The bad one

Reaction score
Really don’t see what your problem is fishing two rods on the Ribble. Unlike most who have made comment so far, it’s a river I’ve fished for over half my life (30+ year) and for the last 20 with two rods most of the time.

As to two fish at once - in all that time I can only think of it happening to me 3 times and all fish being landed. Baitrunners set properly are essential! If you hook a fish learn to automatically flick the runner on whilst playing the hooked fish, on the rod still left fishing.

Fish crossing your other line – the Ribble because of width (30-50 yards) gives you lots of room to avoid this happening. One directly in front of you and the other 20+ yards down stream.

Weight of feeders - it’s important that you use the correct weight on them to make them stay where you put them. Too little weight and the feeder moves, sweeping it across the river with the potential of it coming to rest between the rocks. So forget lead-flashing strips, as you just can’t get enough weight on them, you need proper weights, so make your own moulds out of a wooden block, it’s not difficult. Here’s how by me http://www.fishingmagic.com/articles/howto/11780-diy-big-swimfeeders.html

It’s also important to use appropriate line strength and hook links, 12 lbs minimum main line and 15+ lbs hook links. My preference is for Kryston Super Mantis and Jackal on the Rubble :)

theartist

Reaction score
Fish one rod, spend the rest of the time looking at the scenery and the wildlife that passes you by. If you have two rods make the other a sleeper rod with a float on so you can stretch your legs and run a float through every now and then. If you don't catch then you're feeding your swim. What could be better?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Phil,
I prefer to use a mainline of 12lb (nash bullet, sensor, soft steel or fox camo) and a lesser B/S hooklength (daiwa sensor), usually 8 or 10lb (rather than the other way round as you do phil). For my leads or feeders I tie a loop of line onto the swivel or loop which is of a lower B/S line than my mainline (usually 6 or 8lbs) so if the lead does get stuck in rocks etc a strong pull will always loose the lead.
As I said earlier i've often used two rods...I have also had two fish on at once on quite a few occassions. I've always coped okay but it's a pain in the crack when it happens. If i'm fishing two rods and find i'm catching ok with one rod then I just wind the other in to make my fishing more relaxing. Once a rod starts catching it's usually that same rod that catches them for the rest of the session (if I stay in the same swim) anyhow. Funny enough most of my more productive days have been when i've just taken the one rod...no idea why but it always seems that way.
I nearly always float fish now so ne arsin about with leads and feeders...i'll leave that to the old creeky coffin dodgers...Phil :).

Keith M

Reaction score
When I'm not trotting a stick or Avon float; which I often do; I will be touch legering and using the smallest lead I can get way with so that a simple raising of the rod tip would trundle the lead a foot or so further downstream, and you can't really do this with more than one rod, and this is another reason why I only ever use one rod when I'm after Barbel.

I will usually be using 6lb or 8lb line (usually Pro Gold) tied directly to my hook so that there is only one weak point (at the knot) and using a short link leger with a variable length hooklength. I don't often use a feeder as I prefer either loose feeding by hand or catapult or with a bait dropper or using PVA mesh attached to the hook or weight; depending on the swim I'm fishing and whether I think that there are Barbel nosing around in the swim which I could spook.

Using touch legering allows me to feel if a Barbel moves over my bait or mouths it or ejects it, I can often feel what the bed is like (gravel or silt) and feel the difference between streamer weed rubbing against the line and a fish plucking at the bait. Plus I can feel a takeaway instantly and find myself lifting into a take even if I'm looking the other way.

So you can see why using more than one rod would be alien to me when I'm after Beards. Not to mention the other reasons like not being able to concentrate 100% on one rod cast into the most likely spot because I'm using two rods, and having to worry about my other rod getting in the way when I'm playing a Barbel etc.

If you can honestly do this without these problems (and it's obvious that some of you can) then I take my hat off to you. LOL..

Keith

Last edited:

mickb

Reaction score
Is 6 or 8lb line not a bit light for barbel Keith? I was always lead to belive that a minimum of 10lb was necessary. Do you fish rivers with very few snags? I'm sure 6lb line would snap like cotton on the boulders of the Ribble. I do not know the diameter of pro gold but I know some of these lines are confusing how they rate them. One at .30 can be 10lb whereas another manufacturer rates the same diameter as 15lb.

B

binka

Straying a little but seeing as it's been mentioned I did very well with Terry Eustace Pro-Tough for both mainline and hooklinks last season where I was up against it in snaggy/rocky swims, I can't honestly say how it compares to others but as a stand alone opinion on this product it's a very robust mono with very consistent characteristics...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Is 6 or 8lb line not a bit light for barbel Keith? I was always lead to belive that a minimum of 10lb was necessary. Do you fish rivers with very few snags? I'm sure 6lb line would snap like cotton on the boulders of the Ribble. I do not know the diameter of pro gold but I know some of these lines are confusing how they rate them. One at .30 can be 10lb whereas another manufacturer rates the same diameter as 15lb.

I think Keith will be float fishing with the 6lb.
I use 6lb or 4lb straight through when float fishing and have never been snapped off with a barbel. I would imagine 6lb or 8lb would be good for rolling / freelining a bait.

Keith M

Reaction score
I think Keith will be float fishing with the 6lb.
I use 6lb or 4lb straight through when float fishing and have never been snapped off with a barbel. I would imagine 6lb or 8lb would be good for rolling / freelining a bait.

Hi tigger, you took the words right out of my mouth LOL.

I do generally fish smaller rivers where there are a fair amount of snags both above and below the surface however there are usually very few large boulders to contend with (see pic below):

Pro Gold is one of my favourite lines for this type of fishing as its tested abrasion resistance and suppleness is a lot better than some other well known lines and its quoted breaking strains are a little understated.
It always does extremely well In the official EFTTA line tests and I can only remember having one snap off last year when a Barbel went around a corner with a tree root sticking out and I didn't manage to stop it in time.

Keith

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
Ian if I catch that bar steward who’s leaving ever more coffins on the river for me to dodge, he’ll be wearing the next one. :D

It’s interesting you say about using the match tactic, less line strength hook link, and why I fish it the opposite way. The reason being in many cases it’s the pellet/boillie or the hook that gets stuck in the rocks and not the feeder. With the combo I use 95 % of the time I’ll get the lot back minus the bait. The two Kyrston brands are coated braids and the best abrasive resistant hook links I’ve ever found and I’ve tried a few over the years. Main line is always TE’s Pro Gold won’t use anything else for my fishing, still or running, these days.

Likewise my feeders are always fished as running, never fixed and the hook links never longer than 18 inches. So if a break does happen the feeder drops off and the fish is left trailing only 18 inches of hook link and small swivel about with it.

It’s also important on the Ribble to check the first metre and a half of the main line above the swivel every few casts for rock chaffing, which will weaken the line strength at that point and cause unforeseen breakages if not dealt with.

Keith you just can’t afford to roll any weight about on the Ribble, the gravel in it is the size of car tyres or bigger in many places. In fact in one swim I sometimes fish the gravel is the size of a family car. That swim is a one rod swim only, but you need two rods set up for the inevitable bum cast you make missing the clear spot in the feeder grave yard.

Sorry keith that's not a river that's a ditch :D

Last edited:

bigfish74

Reaction score
I always use two rods on the ribble but no chance of double hookups as i dont catch that many but then again there is three of us who always fish together always have always will
And losing lead i should ha e shares in korum the amount of their feeders i lose

Andy