barbel fishing on the thames(richmond)

slipstream87

Reaction score
Wow lots of info here guys thanks.
Due to a busy weekend I haven't managed to get out yet but will after work this week. Just got some 4 oz leads to hopefully hold bottom when it's not pushing through.
The stretch where the river bends at Petersham meadows is the bit I'm very close to and was thinking of just targeting up to river lane until I get more confident. I've been walking it every day and found someone's swim in the long grass by some concrete steps.
My line of attack was going to be a pva bag of pellet with a pellet hair rigged or boilie into a crease.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Oh yes them boats are always there like permanent fixtures, but could also be used as shelter for fish. It the canoeist that are the main problem as far as I could see.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Wow lots of info here guys thanks.
Due to a busy weekend I haven't managed to get out yet but will after work this week. Just got some 4 oz leads to hopefully hold bottom when it's not pushing through.
The stretch where the river bends at Petersham meadows is the bit I'm very close to and was thinking of just targeting up to river lane until I get more confident. I've been walking it every day and found someone's swim in the long grass by some concrete steps.
My line of attack was going to be a pva bag of pellet with a pellet hair rigged or boilie into a crease.

---------- Post added at 15:28 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Oh yes them boats are always there like permanent fixtures, but could also be used as shelter for fish. It the canoeist that are the main problem as far as I could see.

In the Angling Times this week some bloke caught a big carp at Teddington on the Thames, the actual location was secret but, at least it shows there's some big fish around if you can find them.
When I used to fish at Richmond as a kid we were always told the big roach were under the moored boats. How true that was I never found out but, there could be something in it.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
At low tide, check out good areas in what will be the margins at high tide. Under trees are good. Bait them, fish them and the fish will come. Don't think you'll need 4oz leads though.

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 ----------

Seek out TAC members on the banks - these are the regulars. Befriend them. They'll teach you more in a couple of hours than you'll learn yourself in a year.