barbel fishing on the thames(richmond)

slipstream87

Reaction score
hi i am looking for a bit of help, i have never fished a river before and the richmond stretch is 5 minutes from my house and is free to fish. i was just after some general advice to get me started. what to look for watercraft wise, would it be better to ledger. really looking forward to it but rather daunting as only fished lakes. thank you

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi.
Firstly I would wait until we have a decent bit of rain as the Thames is in a very poor state at the moment. Slow and full of algae sickening the fish.

Look for any edge of the flow or ideally some tree cover as well.

As a general rule about 1/3 of the way across especially if you note a slight drop off.

Start simple. If you can dropper out a fair bit 5/6 pints hemp slightly upstream that should help.

As I said start simple. Simple link ledger with 1-2 foot tail. .Probably 2oz lead up to 3 oz with regular flow.

Size 4 or 6 wide gape hook with hair rigged spam not smaller than an inch . Ideally 2 inches.

Tie some pva string by your lead with 4 or 5 pieces of meat threaded up it.

Bare in mind 10pm to 2 am best time on the Thames.

Mainline 12lb. Hooklink 10lb. Rod suggested 1.75 or 2lb.

. Be prepared to wait at least an hour after each cast. GOOD Luck.

Graham

slipstream87

Reaction score
top man. that is exactly the kind of info i was looking for and more. thank you for taking the time to reply.

point noted about the rain to wash away the crud and levels rise, so presuming then after a good rain is always a good time to fish then.

was going to head down around that time tomorrow actually to have a few casts with pva bags.

after years on lakes around the same crowds so excited to have abit of mystery and every is all new again.

greenie62

Reaction score
...Look for any edge of the flow or ideally some tree cover as well.

As a general rule about 1/3 of the way across especially if you note a slight drop off....

Good advice from Mr Elliott - the only thing I'd add is - you'll be lucky to find any tree-cover at Richmond! ;)

Well worth plumbing for the drop-offs - some are very close-in depending on the tide!
Tight Lines!

Rich P

Reaction score
Be prepared to wait at least an hour after each cast.

Just wondering about that last bit, Graham. Before hooking a fish, or before reeling in to see if the bait's still there? :)

Top bit of advice though. As an angler of predominantly small rivers, I'm sure I'd find my first session on the mighty Thames quite a daunting experience. I might well find out one day.

Good luck ss87!

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Greenie. Yes I wondered about that.....the trees.

All my Thames stuff further dstream to be honest.

Graham

slipstream87

Reaction score
cheers again guys, i have walked the stretched a few times. Yes not many tree cover on the richmond side more on the twickenham side where i have seen some carp jumping. the only real issue is getting down to the water when its low, but for now i will stick to areas i can get down to, like the stairs and the boat ramps.

now i wish i wasn't lazy and didn't walk it in november when they lower it right down for maintenance.

so if i have this right, i want to fish as close as possible to the drop off, where some slack is meeting the flow and if any trees are about even better.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Ah that makes sense. I fished it once when the lad was rowing the stretch.

Amongst trees.

The abiding memory was the most stupid annoying swans ever that had no sense if line in the water.

I know some huge carp have been caught by pals there from a club punt.

Yes. Make sure your meat is just below the hook bend by 1/2 inch.

When the river is pushing don't worry about tightening up too much and moving the bait.

Watch out for zebra mussel beds and maybe mitten crabs!

Graham

john step

Reaction score
Things must have changed a awful lot since I was a Richmond regular. The thought of a barbel would have been a novel idea. It was wall to wall with dace.
I am surprised there are enough barbel in the tidal above the half lock to bother trying for. Things must have changed for the better.

When the repair work was carried out on the half lock, one exceptional dry Autumn, the river was just a narrow trickle, through the central arches of Richmond Bridge.

What was surprising was the river bed was a glutinous sticky silt deposit. That was despite the fast tides.

Knowing that barbel love gravel I must assume that flows have improved for the fish to spread.

There used to be large gravel beds however just below the limit of the tide
below the lock gates and weir above Ham.

If I were targeting barbel I would have a cast around with a lead there for a "feel".

Just a few thoughts.
John.

barbelboi

Reaction score
You could always try a little further downstream (I believe it's still free) at Teddington weir stream from the island between the footbridges.

theartist

Reaction score
Ted weir is upstream from Richmond, which is gravel in most places but flow is minimal all summer aside from when they open the half lock. What with it either being a pond or lots of rubbish coming down it's not the easiest of places to fish.

slipstream87

Reaction score
yes not as good for the dace anymore. lots of bream a few carp, i know barbel have been caught in this section.

there are loads of areas of gravel dotted about that i can see on low tide, may target these at high tide to start with then.

you can fish all the way to staines for free for the bank but need a permit to fish from the weir islands at teddington.

i have purchased the prince of the river by chris yates to have a read through aswell.

thanks again guys very much appreciated

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
You'll find most if the Thames stuff is about my part of the World.

Sonning Hurley Maidenhead Dorney and Oxford.

Walking away from the Thames about Potts stream is a cracking read in your book.

If you want a book to enjoy and get you in the mood for your adventure I would get his first barbel book The Deepening Pool about his conversion from lakes to barbel heaven.

Anyway. If I had a choice in your position I would venture nearer Staines Boatyard or the Desborough Cut......

Last edited:

slipstream87

Reaction score
i have heard of the desborough cut but it can be bivvy city at times.
i will keep a eye out for that book after i have read chris yates book.
will do a couple of hours either tonight or sunday

john step

Reaction score
Just another thought...
If you only live 5 mins from Richmond have you facilities for storing a fishing punt/boat and trailer?

That would open up a whole new horizon away from the dog walkers and joggers.:)

greenie62

Reaction score
Just another thought...
If you only live 5 mins from Richmond have you facilities for storing a fishing punt/boat and trailer?

That would open up a whole new horizon away from the dog walkers and joggers.:)

And - you could you acquire a whole bunch of fishing friends almost overnight! ;):cool::wh:eek:mg:

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Not quite correct - you need secure parking for a car and trailer on a launching position. Then you'll have some new friends!

john step

Reaction score
Another thought or two...punts boats......there are varieties that fit on a roof rack.
Also there is or was a large free car park by the river at Ham House.
Also a cycle path all along for exploring stretches.

I looked at Google maps and was dismayed/surprised to see the prolifieration of boat moorings below and around Teddington Weir.

There is a club called Francis Francis after a famous Thames angler who base their fishing on punts that are stored at Richmond. Worth investigating.

Anyway.. good luck with the fishing as there is a wealth of it on the lower and tidal Thames.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Just some old news John which I thought worth a mention, many years ago saw some big carp just off a boat slipway at Twickenham. About 5 years ago walked the Richmond stretch and a bloke pulled in a 7lb barbel. I think he had been fishing quite far out with a swimfeeder but, I cannot remember what he had on the hook. It was where the river bends halfway between Richmond and Twickenham where there's a big green on the Richmond Park side; about beneath the old Star and Garter home on the hill..
Thirdly, Last year I spotted a punt hire place at Hampton Court, 50 yards up stream from the bridge, opposite side to Hampton Court (I think it was about £28, I did have a card somewhere but, cannot find it now)---thinking of fishing the weirs there which I believe hold some good barbel. What the license, rules are about that I am not up to date though. Maybe have to check that out for yourself; however, looked very nice fishing if you can get to the weir which you can only do by punt and not too far from Richmond.