The Barbel Society Midlands’ Rivers Annual Research & Conservation Fundraiser

black kettle

Reaction score
Adrian,

"More fun than playing a big old chub in a snaggy river on light tackle."

Methinks that's a bridge too far comment mesen. But every single word apart from those were spot on.

Could anyone really make any of this up? The BS is in undeniable demise and have been loosing members steadily since 1999. Steve Popes very own figures say so. They have lost a lot of their fisheries. They are down to just two mags per year. They are wanting to send out newsletters electronically to save money. They are talking about lowering the joining fee to 20 quid. They are talking about "INCREASING" the chiefs with their crazy two tier committee structure whilst "INCREASING" the amount of people involved in their so called Research and Conservation thingmy. I wonder if claims for "expenses" will soar at the same time with this increase of hierarchy. They are increasing their R&C fund raising efforts. They are about to get into the match fishing scene in attempts to make money. This is the Barbel Society remember, the society that once championed their highly publicised anti barbel in keepnets campaign.

The Barbel Society are extremely small beer and any number of my local fishing clubs have far more members than they have. The same can be said up and down the country where other anglers live. The difference between them is that these esteemed clubs are well run, democratically operated clubs which are thriving with many having stood the test of time for well over a hundred years. Without these cherished fishing clubs, coarse fishing as we know it today would simply not exist. Nor would the old NFA, the old ACA and the current day Angling Trust/Fish Legal who rely on our nations fishing clubs for their very existence OR the angling press and nations tackle dealers. Indeed, the whole coarse fishing infrastructure as we know it would not exist without our glorious fishing clubs. But if the Barbel Society disappeared overnight I seriously doubt that one single barbel would bat an eyelid over its departure.

As for the Barbel Society Research and Conservation? I wouldn't give them a single penny piece of my money. Not before, not now, not ever.

Regards,

BK.

---------- Post added at 12:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 ----------

Peter said;

"Now, personally, I no interest in the Barbel society or how it is run, but if I did have an interest, and it was at odds with those who manager and run the organisation, then I would be inclined to become a member and fight for the changes that I feel so passionate about from the inside."

I feel some clarification is in order pertaining to your words above Peter. Have you any idea just how many have tried the insider member route before in order to bring about change inside the BS heirarchy? Have you any idea just how many tried to do the very same thing by becoming a BS committee member Peter? We are not talking about one or two people here, we are talking about a long succession of members and ex committee members who all to a man tried to change things from within and all left disgruntled because their efforts were either thwarted or their concerns wasn't listed to. Even recently ex committee members, loyal members at that, have vented their frustration about there being no change in the way the BS is run and said so on the BS Facebook page.

Peter, there have been far too many for this all to be "nit picking" or "sniping from the sidelines" Doesn't 1300 members down to just 550 (could even be less than that) tell you something Peter?

Many of those campaigning for change in the BS hierarchy wanted to see full democratic elections take place to ensure that the members, not just a small inner circle, ran the society because after all said and done, without members there is nothing.

Like any other democratically run fishing club, the members themselves should decide who represents them and what direction the club/society should be taking. And whilst the current situation within the BS hierarchy prevails, so will the protests for democracy within the BS.

One last thought Peter.

In any democracy the members/people have the right to vote in representatives who they feel will look after their interests. But by the very same democratic protocol, they have the right to vote out anyone deemed to be under performing and not representing their best interests.

Regards,

BK

bennygesserit

Reaction score
if the barbel society is so far removed from what you originally intended then all you are fighting over is the name , or what remains of it.

Whatever did happen all those years ago to cause such deep seated anger ?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
BK, as I said, I have no interest in the Barbel Society as an entity, but I do see that many have tried to alter the way it is run.

I do wonder however just how long this has gone on for?

We anglers (collectively) are indeed a strange bunch and angling is a wide church, so surely there comes a time when, even for sanity sake, one puts the cudgel down and just moves on?

ray thorpe

Reaction score
BK, as I said, I have no interest in the Barbel Society as an entity, but I do see that many have tried to alter the way it is run.

I do wonder however just how long this has gone on for?

We anglers (collectively) are indeed a strange bunch and angling is a wide church, so surely there comes a time when, even for sanity sake, one puts the cudgel down and just moves on?

Peter. I think the only way people will put the cudgel down and move on, is if Steve Pope resigns as Chairman. Or if Steve Pope is elected by the membership as The Chairman at the Barbel soc AGM.

Regards Ray Thorpe , Barbel soc member for 15 years. I would rejoin if election's took place at the AGM. Like election's do at all the Sports clubs and Societies i belong to.

ken more

Reaction score
Can you access the Barbel Society forum as a guest, like other open forums?

tonybull

Reaction score
Can you access the Barbel Society forum as a guest, like other open forums?

No and when I was a member some of my posts got pulled down and the reason given was quite clever the way it was worded :D

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
ray thorpe;1344381 Regards Ray Thorpe said:
Ray,
Someone, I think it was a BS officer said that all main officers ARE elected at the AGM. I will have to dig it out.

There you go Ray,

On the 28-11-2014, at 23:24

Pete Reading posted the following,

"The main Officers/President/Vice Presidents are elected at the AGM"

Last edited:

wes79

Reaction score
Why not put a few Barbel on the committee? :eek::eek:mg: I think the Barbel Society is disproportionately run by to many human beings now and it cannot no longer be called the Barbel Society, its undemocratic, what ever next, a Society of Tench being managed by those "out of water" types, are you all mad? Whats wrong with you all, snap out of it man!

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
Peter, if you follow the threads you must realise that most of the protagonists are ex barbel society committee members who have been forced to leave because their voice is stifled by the committee within a committee system which has already been described this week.

Those who I know personally were dedicated members who worked hard and gave freely of their time and money to attend meetings only to see the decisions which were taken at those meetings overturned if they were not in line with the agenda of the inner ring.

I'm sure some of them will be along soon enough to make their own reasons for this public inquisition clear.

I have given up taking an active part in the 'resistance' now as tbh life is too short to spend it trying to move an immovable object but I still follow the debate with interest and enjoy watching the Machiavellian skill with which those been questioned avoid their questioners.

More fun than playing a big old chub in a snaggy river on light tackle.

Ade,

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Sir Winston Churchill

Regards
Ray

tonybull

Reaction score
No contacts on the BS website to ask the question, but under the news/events it mentions a delay in the magazine.

Are members from last season still entitled to another Barbel Fisher magazine ?

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
The second mag is being printed at the mo....why nobody tried to help Rob get it done earlier ???.....you will have to ask yourself because if you ask anywhere controlled by the BS you are simply removed.
I was told that the mag was going to be ready and was at the printers well before the show so it would be ready as a membership join incentive...... but unfortunate circumstances meant that it wasn't but nobody thought or had the gumption to take control and sort it out....then or even up to direct questions were asked just 2 weeks ago....... feel really sorry for Rob because **** happens and you can't control life..... but others could have saved the embarrassment to the society and all those members that only benefit of being a member is the mag.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am beginning to think that if one or all of the Barbel Society Committee were filmed walking on water they would be roundly criticized for:

not learning to . . . . . . . . . . . Swim!

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Been there done that....... if you are in position then my attitude is bloody well do it or sod off....you can't have it both ways. Lapping up the kudos and then not stepping up when needed. Joke.

Ray Wood 1

Reaction score
I am beginning to think that if one or all of the Barbel Society Committee were filmed walking on water they would be roundly criticized for:

not learning to . . . . . . . . . . . Swim!

Peter,
I think that the BS committee are rightly being criticized by both full members and by members of the BS FB page group. They have become a shambles and no one but no one is to blame other than the committee and more importantly the BS chairman it is his job to ensure the BS runs smoothly.

Members are asking question about the late magazine, they are asking questions about other issues that they are concerned about. The BS committee in its wisdom rather than answer these questions are removing members from both the BS FB page group and the BS forum so I am told.

All this just for asking questions, questions that should rightly be asked.

The committee and its chairman have been lax in covering the BS merchandise section of the BS while the guy who deals with it has been out of action. One person waited a month for their order, and over two weeks to get a reply to an e-mail asking where their order was. Are they not to be criticized for this lack of organisation Peter?

In my personal opinion Peter the BS committee get far to much protection on open to everyone forums such as FM.

Lets face it they use FM to promote all there fund raisers, BS regional meetings and everything else BS. It's chairman uses FM to promote his diary and via that his sponsors and his guiding business, FM invite discussion on that diary, it also invited discussion on the latest BS show.

When discussed FM members are politely asked not to ask questions. Well Peter in my book the BS along with its chairman can't have it both ways, or are they immune from the consequences of any short Cummings they may have?

Interestingly the chairman under clause "Committee 4.4" in with the agreement of the president and appropriate members of the committee can remove anyone from the committee.

However for the membership to remove anyone from the office this apparently requires 3/4 of the BS membership to attend an AGM to do so. It appears to me at least that the BS membership serve an unelected committee rather than a committee serving the BS members.

The BS membership are entitled to be able to hold the committee responsible and answerable for the shambles the BS has now become. Just how they do that under the present structure is quite beyond me. Seems as if they made themselves immune from both being removed from the committee and answering questions from it's membership.

The membership should now do their talking with their feet and walk away from it all and leave the committee sitting in an empty hall.

Regards
Ray

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Rich,

You are a bit wide of the mark, if you want to know the exact situation then give me a call.

Tony Bull,

You will be getting a magazine, any queries you have will be answered on the forum, committee members are easily contactable, phone numbers are in the newsletter plus email addresses.

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Really?? there is always a story..... I am on the money on what I have said..... And I am sorry to say you know it too. :(

tonybull

Reaction score
Tony Bull,

You will be getting a magazine, any queries you have will be answered on the forum, committee members are easily contactable, phone numbers are in the newsletter plus email addresses.

Bobby has already pm'd me and I Thanked him it for it.

T Rocca

Reaction score
Sounds to me as if there wasn't enough money in the coffers to pay the printer so a delay was needed, subs due. Seen it many a time with a group on the edge.