The Barbel Society Midlands’ Rivers Annual Research & Conservation Fundraiser

greenie62

Reaction score
It would be nice if some of you reported some of your barbel catches on this forum too.

:)Sound idea PC,
But I think the former & current BS members are practising Barbel Conservation by spending all their time bickering rather than Barbel-fishing! ...maybe?! :eek:mg:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Despite my best intentions to do more fishing this season other commitments have meant my only report from this river season thus far was posted on the 'how did you get on thread'.
However, for those who missed it it was two splasher barbel and a hat-full of big (for the river) bream up to 8 Lb.

I'm sea fishing next week so hope to improve on that a bit.

I've got a website/forum where the 'meeting' can take place. It's called Barbel Wars (I wanted to call it 'barbel fishing wars' and just use the abbreviation but wouldn't you know it, someone else already has the rights to bfw :rolleyes:)

Anyway, it was set up a few years ago specifically for the very purpose of giving the protagonists somewhere to fight but it gets very little traffic; in fact some say there is more life on Hoth, the frozen sixth planet of the Hoth system, located in the Anoat sector of the Outer Rim Territories.

nicepix

Reaction score
:)Sound idea PC,
But I think the former & current BS members are practising Barbel Conservation by spending all their time bickering rather than Barbel-fishing! ...maybe?! :eek:mg:

Joking aside, I've learned a lot about barbel fishing on here and other web sites from these 'antagonists'. They certainly know their stuff and you can only get that from first hand experience. The posts made by 'Trent Barbeller' on BFW a few years ago were excellent.

I don't usually disagree with Peter Jacob's stance. But in this case I do find it strange that Mr. Pope is allowed editorial space to promote the BS and yet he and other officials of the society will not answer questions posed about the BS. It doesn't need a closed shop meeting. Just answer the questions posed by PM or on open forum. Surely they can see the damage that all this secrecy is doing?

sumtime

Reaction score
The posts made by 'Trent Barbeller' on BFW a few years ago were excellent...

Now I remember :) must be about ten years ago I was reading Trent Barbler's posts on another forum, very entertaining, I always looked forward to Lee's posts.

---------- Post added at 16:07 ---------- Previous post was at 16:04 ----------

It's all coming back to me, Lee would explain all about baits and how to prepare them, an education.

black kettle

Reaction score
Just a slight point Nicepix, its Barbeler with just the one letter "l". Soon, when I have more time to actually go fishing there will be some old style fishing tales coming on the River Telegraph.

I had a walk around my local lake the other night and just happened to be in the right place at the right time when I watched a chap play and land a 34lb 14oz leather carp. A personal best for him so he was well chuffed. Inspiring stuff especially as this lake contains carp to mid forties with double figure tench and bream up to a tad over 14lbs. Was I inspired? Kind of. But not in a four rod waiting for ages for a bite set up but moreover a one rod stalking with worm or catch off the top with the adoption of a ever so light hearted campaign thingmy.

They say the older one gets the more patient one becomes but I seem to have gone backwards. I have no patience what so ever with long stay fishing now days as I like to get in on some action pretty quickly.

And if it turns out I don't get any action after a couple of hours I'm obviously in the wrong place so instead of sitting it out where I am waiting endlessly for a bite,.........I go to the pub. Perfick.

Regards,

BK.