Best bait runner reel for new rods

sharpey1993

Reaction score
Hi everyone looking for two new bait runner reels for my barbel fishing just want your opinions what are the best two reels on the market now cheers

11alan111

Reaction score
to be perfectley honest the only time i switch my reel to baitrunner is when im pouring coffee or having a slash,the rest of the time i use the reels in normal mode.

sam vimes

Reaction score
No one can reasonably state that x is the best for you.
You've also got to think about exactly what style of fishing you are going for and the venues are visiting. I'd choose different reels, or sizes of reels, for different venues and different styles of barbel fishing. I wouldn't take the same rods and reels to the Swale as I would to the tidal Trent. If I were to restrict myself to one allround barbel set up, my choice, of both rods and reels, would have to be a compromise.

fruitowl

Reaction score
As Sam has said it's horses for courses my current set up for barbel on the river Severn rather fast and rocky bottom is a Wychwood 12ft signature barbel rod 1.75lb test curve with an Okuma opti drag odb 150 reel with Maxima chamelion line.
I also have a Berkley cherrywood 14ft heavy feeder again with an Okuma dyna drag reel and maxima red ice line.
Not the most expensive kit but fits my budget and have had some nice fish, rod has a nice curve.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Imo one size reel will cover any barbel rivers in the UK if it for legering that is. A 5000 size will cover you for both large or small rivers.
My preference is for the older models of shimano....the 5010's or the 5000 GTE's. Easy enought to pick up on ebay

You'd be wiser to have rods of different test curves than different sized reels.

Last edited:

sharpey1993

Reaction score
Hi guys cheers for all the advice last year was first year on the barbel and what can I say I got the love straight away last year I was just using a carp rod 2lb test curve and just fishing running ledger had some loverly fish then bought a korum 1.75 barbel rod now just got two Martin bowler rods 1.75 and a 2.25 big river one as fancy a go on the Trent this year will check eBay for some of them 5000gte cheers

I have seen a lot of people on the swale fishing two rods with bite alarms to good success what's your opions on this cheers

11alan111

Reaction score
rod wise ive got a berkley tri tip,its a 13 foot rod with 3 tips,1.5,1.75 and 2.0, i find this suitable for any river as i only feeder fish.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
will check eBay for some of them 5000gte cheers

I have seen a lot of people on the swale fishing two rods with bite alarms to good success what's your opions on this cheers

You won't go wrong with the GTE's or the 5010's they're good reliable rels with a smooth drag.

I have alarms but never use 'em on the river, no reason why you shouldn't though if you prefer to. I just can't see any benifit in using them, the click of the baitrunner will alert you to a bite if it's dark or your not looking and for me the noise gets on me nerves.

john step

Reaction score
As Sam says a 5000 size will cover everything as long as its a strong reel when
you go to the Trent.
Although I feel happier with my 6000 size.
The current requires heavy weights and therefore good winching power for retrieval.
Alarms...I always use them on the Trent( where the rods are poking up high to keep the line off the water ). There are plenty of times I am looking around and not staring into the sky and cricking my neck.(Lowest volume that I can hear)
I set the baitrunner fairly stiff as a safety measure so my rods stay on the bank and don't head for the Humber when I am filling PVA stockings or my face.
I did lose a rod and reel a few years ago when I forgot to engage the runner
and reached for my coffee. The rod bounced off the tripod and I wasn't quick enough manouvering on those sharp rocks to grab it.

edited..It was Tigger not Sam.

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Like Tigger I like using Shimano 5010's or 5000 GTE's; unless of course I'm trotting or trundling a bait along the bottom; when I will usually use a Centrepin (wherever possible).

to be perfectley honest the only time i switch my reel to baitrunner is when im pouring coffee or having a slash,the rest of the time i use the reels in normal mode.

I'm the same; however I rarely use more than one rod at a time unless I'm fishing an unfamiliar river (which isn't very often these days) and bites are fairly rare and I am unable to see any bottom features.

If this is the case then I may use 2 rods in different positions within the swim using the baitrunner function set fairly tight so that it just stops the rods being pulled in.

But even if I'm using 2 rods I will usually end up putting one rod away fairly soon once I get a take so that I can concentrate on just one rod in that area and be able to touch leger and lift the rod the instant I get another take.

Keith

Last edited:

Rich Frampton

Reaction score
Shimano Baitrunner 4000D........ great front drag........ and big enough capacity too. Still prefer my centre pins but needs must sometimes.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have no idea which is the best but I will tell you the one sold in Aldi is a cracker mate.
Have a look at it.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I just got a pair of wychwood solace 10 ACS reels... really like them, drag is good, baitrunner works well, spool is somewhere between a standard 5000 size and a big pit, I've definitely been able to cast a bit further with these than the 50 sized Okuma interceptor they replaced.

ken more

Reaction score
I just got a pair of wychwood solace 10 ACS reels... really like them, drag is good, baitrunner works well, spool is somewhere between a standard 5000 size and a big pit, I've definitely been able to cast a bit further with these than the 50 sized Okuma interceptor they replaced.

Got a couple of these in the 6 size. I like them a lot. Not heavy, and the drag,baitrunner was fine and i like the balance with Rods that, to me anyway, are now very very light. How long they last i have know idea, but worth a punt in my opinion. Must add, i got these at a very reasonable price and would not use this size for big feeders for the Trent etc.

kenpm

Reaction score
The "Best" would probably be the new Daiwa Cast'izm baitrunners but at that price they should be.