Stillwater barbel

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Why do people put fish on a pedestal, as if its sacrilege to put them in an environment that isn't natural to them.

I don't hear too many complaining over them being stocked into southern rivers where they had never previously lived or Rainbow trout being introduced into rivers and stillwaters.

Provided they are not removed from rivers what difference does it make? the're only fish FFS not some sort of minor god to be worshipped and revered.

Judas Priest

Reaction score
Well said Ray.

How many people keep fish in tanks or plastic/rubber lined ponds, hardly natural environments.

wes79

Reaction score
.......... Whether I choose to partake or not will effect no difference unless I can convince a majority of my fellow would-be customers to avoid........

I guess you need to draw a line in the sand somewhere, appreciating that you cannot be for something while against it also.
Surely if you are knowing something is not particularly right but have no impetus to change it, that would be called turning a blind eye? Profiteering from it is something beneath even that, all a matter of principle.

Such boycotts are practically impossible to engineer since people are largely driven by personal self interest.

Where do people get their personal self interest from if its not from a medium or organized exchange of information telling them what to fish for and where?

Well said Ray.

How many people keep fish in tanks or plastic/rubber lined ponds, hardly natural environments.

That is another false justification for stocking Barbel into still waters.
"Lot's of people do A,B or C so that makes it ok to do D", the popularity/high percentage V's reasoned minority type argument.
Where do you draw the line?

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

Why do people put fish on a pedestal, as if its sacrilege to put them in an environment that isn't natural to them.

I don't hear too many complaining over them being stocked into southern rivers where they had never previously lived or Rainbow trout being introduced into rivers and stillwaters.

Provided they are not removed from rivers what difference does it make? the're only fish FFS not some sort of minor god to be worshipped and revered.

The difference is exploitation which is quite clearly marked Ray.

What difference does it make to Hens made to produce eggs for people who see pound signs in their sleep?

Easy, its the amount of feather loss, disease and shortened longevity of the Hen (call it suffering or misery or something...) that is allowed before its actually called cruelty as opposed to how many eggs the Hen could actually produce per annum if it was looked after properly and its needs were not neglected.....

For what purpose would a Barbel find its way into a commercial fishery? What need will the Barbel in ponds with a silt bottom have for its barbules or for that matter where will they be expected to spawn? Some female Barbel have been documented to have travelled upto 20km to find suitable spawning grounds/substrait.......should we stock Barbel so that when the drive to spawn kicks in annually they can go through all the effort just to allow the Carp to mop up the eggs that have been deserving of all their energy leading upto that moment......and get even fatter.....now that 's progress!

A line has to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
How many stillwater Barbel have you caught and seen ?

The majority of people fishing commercials are Carp anglers, not the ones who hunt specimen fish, the ones who want a few bites.

The next biggest group are match anglers and they fish commercials to catch fish to win matches, no particular species and commercials stocking Barbel makes no odds to either of the above.

The financial gain is zero imo

Tony,

I think you're right in that it's not a game changer but I think there are some other sets of people worthy of mention in this equation.

Casual anglers - you see a lot of holiday anglers at my local commie. Shortest walk from the car park, picnic chair and the like.

Youngsters.

Both these groups might not have the confidence, ability or even desire to fish for barbel and catching one may very well be a big talking point for a long time.

You may be right in that the number of extra anglers arriving as a result of a barbel stocking may be limited but if the regulars keep coming and catching barbel keeps their income steady, surely there's an argument to be had that the investment is worthwhile if the alternative is a drop off in trade and its consequent loss of revenues?

Just my take :)

---------- Post added at 11:18 ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 ----------

Tony,

The other thing I should have added is that people do get a bit bored with the same old carp, carp and more carp which, I guess the owners understand and are trying to branch out a bit.

I know quite a few river anglers who won't fish stillwaters in the close season and I'm sure you may do too?

I guess commercial owners are just trying to be all things to all men and, to complete another cliché, they can't please all the people all the time?

Have a great day. :)