do you still superglue pellets?

mickb

Reaction score
Hi all. I used to always superglue pellets to the hair when elips pellets were around. I found this the easiest way to attach pellets and never had any fall off. It was easy to get the hair length right. However since then elips pellets do not exist as the machine has been decommissioned I believe. Just wondering how people who used to superglue their elips pellets to a hair have adapted their rigs? I do not feel comfortable using superglue on both ends of the pellets as I think on a long cast on a big river they may separate as the surface area of the pellet is much less than when they were made flat sided. Any advice greatly appreciated.

john step

Reaction score
I have not found they come off on a big river. I find braid hooklengths the easiest to work with for "stickability". However I cannot get on with the liquid glues, finding gel the quickest to set.
I have no idea how everyone else fixes the pellets to the hair but I glue the flat end of one cylinder, lay the hair across it and press the second across the glue and hair making the cylinder twice as long so to speak.
Thats two flat surfaces glued together with the hair sandwiched between...hope that makes sense?

Thinking about it....I have only used this for barbel. I use bands on still waters. I think I will try it on stills come to think of it.

mickb

Reaction score
Hi John. Thanks for the reply? I thought they wouldn't glue together well lengthways as they would when they were flat. Thanks for confirming that it isn't a problem on a big cast. You say gel glue works better and quicker. I've never used the gel glue. Does it set within a few seconds? How long do you wait before casting out?

B

binka

Just out of interest is there any advantage to gluing pellets as opposed to threading them on a hair and using a stop?

I've never glued pellets and only ever tried it once and those who know me will probably imagine the mess I got into :eek:mg:

I would think it's more flexible for the amount of pellets you can use on a set length of hair but I would usually also alter the hook size accordingly?

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Mick. I used to do exactly the same as you.

Now I use pre drilled a la Binka but in warmer temps always add a dot of glue on the base before pulling the hair in place.

Stops the hole enlarging so quickly due water flow through and sitting there with no bait on and secures the hair/stop better.

mickb

Reaction score
Hi Graham. Thanks for the tip. Don't know why I didn't think of that. The reason why I didn't want to use pre drilled pellets was because I thought in the summer months the pellet would break down quicker and the fact that the pellet had a hole in it it would break down both from the inside and outside reducing the time for pellet would stay on the hair. I suppose the pellet could still be taken off the hair and a new one put on easy enough with just a dab of glue on the end?

barbelboi

Reaction score
I don’t glue much these days but often use a bunch of pre-drilled pellets of various sizes. Firstly I tie a small ‘o’ ring (using a KK) to the shank of the hook I am using. Then, all I need to do, is thread pellets as required to a length of braid and tie it to the ‘o’ ring – quick, simple – just cut off the old braid as required and do the same again...............

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've never glued pellets together. For a while now i've attatched a band to my hair, put the baiting needle through the pellet, stretch the band so the pellet slides onto it and then when the needle is removed the band shrinks and swells back up and goes nice and tight inside the pellet making stops redundant. It's perfect for putting two pellets together also and i've never had the pellets come off.

mickb

Reaction score
Binka the advantage of superglueing pellets to the hair for me was that I didn't have to bother tying a loop in the hair and bothering with hair stops. Also I could change the length of the hair very easily if I needed to. Also I just found it much quicker to tie up a hooklength. I don't believe the smell of glue affected the fishing at all. Many of times I caught a barbel within a minute or two of casting out using superglue on the hair.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Just to clarify.

Yes I tie a loop to the end of the hair. Yes I use a stop.
Just add a drop of glue to the pellet before pulling stop into place.

Only when highish water temps melt the bait too quickly. More important when using smaller sized drilled under 10mm.

Sometimes they only seem to want these sometimes if using maggot feeder with 2-3mm inside.

With braid (powerpro) hooklink it pushes through hole without a baiting needle needed. You can double up smaller (6mm) pellets if hair length allows.

To take old pellet off if its looking likely to come off after long time just break up.

B

binka

Binka the advantage of superglueing pellets to the hair for me was that I didn't have to bother tying a loop in the hair and bothering with hair stops. Also I could change the length of the hair very easily if I needed to. Also I just found it much quicker to tie up a hooklength. I don't believe the smell of glue affected the fishing at all. Many of times I caught a barbel within a minute or two of casting out using superglue on the hair.

Cheers Mick.

On the subject of the drilled hole wearing the pellet down quicker I have found it a problem but only in the fastest of flows, I often plug it with paste or meat which I think gives it a bit of extra attraction.

john step

Reaction score
Hi John. Thanks for the reply? I thought they wouldn't glue together well lengthways as they would when they were flat. Thanks for confirming that it isn't a problem on a big cast. You say gel glue works better and quicker. I've never used the gel glue. Does it set within a few seconds? How long do you wait before casting out?[/quote

I may have not been very clear. I meant that I glue the flat end of a cylindrical pellet to flat end of another cylindrical pellet with the braid sandwiched between. When the pellets dissolve a bit, wipe the braid hooklink, dip in crumb to dry and glue more on.

Casting with gel is almost immediate.
Just a point worth mentioning..... If you use a longer hair than you would use for one pellet, you can glue two SMALL pellets (end of cylinder to end of cylinder) on the end and then ANOTHER pair a bit nearer the hook. This way the small pellets are in tandem with a GAP between each pair and mimic bait laying in the bottom.

Gets 'em when you feel they are getting shy:)

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
When I use pre drilled pellets I use a bait band on the hair. but instead of banding it I push a baiting needle through the hole in the pellet and pull the band through. The elastic expands inside the pellet(s) which in turn eradicates the chances of the drilled hole getting bigger. A hair stop can be inserted too for extra grip...

Rich P

Reaction score
I still glue pellets and use liquid glue. With my trusty swiss army knife I shave a flat side on each pellet (actually two flat sides so they also won't roll off my knee) and glue together as I used to do with the elips. Initially it all seemed like a lot of bother, however it takes seconds and make tying rigs easier - not having to incorporate a loop in the hair.

I've tried something called Gorilla super glue, though it's not as good as the proper stuff.

mickb

Reaction score
Got forced into going to asda yesterday by the missus and saw some of the gel superglue john suggested using. It's much, much better than the liquid glue. I struggled to pull the pellets apart once it set. Nice easy to use bottle too. Cost 3 quid. Called loctite ultra control gel glue I think.

Rich P

Reaction score
Got forced into going to asda yesterday by the missus and saw some of the gel superglue john suggested using. It's much, much better than the liquid glue. I struggled to pull the pellets apart once it set. Nice easy to use bottle too. Cost 3 quid. Called loctite ultra control gel glue I think.

I've tried the gel variety but didn't really get on with it (not that we fell out). Liquid for me! :)

laguna

Reaction score
Never glued pellets as I believed the smell might put fish off, though some seem to do okay.
As an alternative to glue, you can band them by tying the hair onto a bait band, you could also use a lasso hair.
Middy Tackle Las-soo Carp Rig, size 12s to 0.20 | GO Outdoors

I know hinders stopped making flat ones but I heard someone else makes elliptic shaped pellets now as well.

Rich P

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear who, Laguna, as I read somehwere that the machinery (of which there was only one) was taken out of commission. Hinders, T7, etc are all out of elips pellets.

I've glued for about fours seasons now and it seems the lure of the pellet's oil overrides any negative effect the glue may have (and which is probably negligible).... I even glue boilies (cut in half then glued) as it means I don't have to bother with the loop at the end of the hair.

john step

Reaction score
I'd be interested to hear who, Laguna, as I read somehwere that the machinery (of which there was only one) was taken out of commission. Hinders, T7, etc are all out of elips pellets.

I've glued for about fours seasons now and it seems the lure of the pellet's oil overrides any negative effect the glue may have (and which is probably negligible).... I even glue boilies (cut in half then glued) as it means I don't have to bother with the loop at the end of the hair.

Just goes to show you never stop learning. I never thought of gluing boilies.
I will give it a try.

I think it may prove effective for the mini boilies I use for tench. To fix the 10mm boilies I have been using a mini bait spike on the end of the hair made from old eyed hooks with the bend snipped off.

This works well most of the time but there have been occasions where the boilie flies off. I find it difficult to use a commercial bait spike on such small boilies without splitting them as the spikes are generally quite thick.
Perhaps two minis with the sides cut off to make two flat surfaces to glue.
Will give it a try.