Just add idiot...

B

binka

The tranquil, idyllic scene...

A warm and breezy afternoon on a stretch of river with no PRN and in the distance is a shallow gravel bar where you watched barbel spawning not a week and a half ago.

The next generation of fish and future quarry safely tucked in the gravel just waiting to hatch.

Oh wait a minute, some idiot trespasser paddler has beached on said gravel bar and is digging it, and our future quarry, away with their oar...

It was great listening to that paddle churning all the gravel away along with our future river stocks.

Nice, innit? :mad:

Still...

They mean no harm, let's have a free for all.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
There is no doubt whatsoever that damage to spawning areas is done by illegal paddlers, this wouldn't be allowed if it were birds eggs that were being destroyed oh no the RSPB would be up in arms against this illegal activity so why is the organisation that is supposed to protect angling doing sod all? oh I know why they are to busy blowing their own trumpets about the next big thing.

mikench

Reaction score
You can buy miniature torpedoes which you launch from a fishing rod tube with just enough explosive power to sink a kayak and dunk its occupant in the river;)

Now if Carlsberg did miniature torpedoes...... :rolleyes:

You would have so much fun you wouldn't do any fishing!

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
The inconsiderateness of some people knows no bounds. Big Dave told me of incident where a mate of his on a stretch of the Wey got harangued mercilessly by a dog walker because he was sat in the spot where "I always swim my dog".

"Well...not today" said Dave's mate who then pointed out that the club paid a not inconsiderable sum of money for the fishing rights whereas said dog owner paid precisely nothing. It almost came to blows until Big Dave rocked up who has an impressive physical presence and is not known for taking cr@p off anybody. The dog swam elsewhere that day !

People are just so selfish nowadays. Never used to be like this.

cg74

Reaction score
If anyone mentions educating them I reckon I will explode unless its education of a sort that doesn't need a classroom :)

Ah but, education is the most powerful weapon and education is the key to success!!:D

Binka, did you video the incident or just take stills as it's illegal to disturb spawning grounds.

B

binka

Binka, did you video the incident or just take stills as it's illegal to disturb spawning grounds.

I did both.

I'm currently talking with our Secretary regarding this and other paddler related incidents, who in turn is looking into the whole paddler issue.

Either way I doubt that the perpetrators in this case will ever be identified and tracked down :(

dannyboy1

Reaction score
There is no doubt whatsoever that damage to spawning areas is done by illegal paddlers, this wouldn't be allowed if it were birds eggs that were being destroyed oh no the RSPB would be up in arms against this illegal activity so why is the organisation that is supposed to protect angling doing sod all? oh I know why they are to busy blowing their own trumpets about the next big thing.
Because fish are not visible and/or cute and cuddlely.

Its the way of the world now unfortunately

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

B

binka

You saw barbel spawning there 10 days ago!

Time for a closed season debate!

Well we could but we would have to fix the weather and flood conditions, regardless of region, for the entire existence of any newly imposed dates ;) :)

---------- Post added at 19:36 ---------- Previous post was at 19:30 ----------

To add:

Here's another pair of suitably attired tossers negotiating the same gravel bar at even lower water last week whilst I was out with Graham.

When challenged and told it was illegal they simply replied along the lines of "Oh really, we wouldn't know that not being fisherman"!

And they say that ignorance is no defence of the Law...

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
I witness this sort of thing all the time on the Wye. When I complained to the EA/NRW they sent an officer down who told me that I could report every incident but it wasn't really worth it. Why? Because the perps would be long gone by the time they got there and anyway, the fish have plenty of other places to spawn.

Honest. That was what he told me. These are the protectors of our rivers :(

B

binka

I witness this sort of thing all the time on the Wye. When I complained to the EA/NRW they sent an officer down who told me that I could report every incident but it wasn't really worth it. Why? Because the perps would be long gone by the time they got there and anyway, the fish have plenty of other places to spawn.

It's a disgrace Geoff.

Hence my suggestion over in the other thread of "stings" on troubled stretches with the outcome publicised for other offenders.

The additional problem there is the assumption of a positive outcome.

Out of interest I wonder how many, if one, illegal paddler has ever been prosecuted?

Time to set a precedent?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

If only a hand full of these prats where prosecuted and given some heavy fines etc the news would travel fast and it would make the rest of the scrotes think twice before doing these things. If the EA can spend time checking for anglers rod licenses and dishing out fines to them without a license then i'm sure they should be able to do the same with differing offenses on the rivers.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
and anyway, the fish have plenty of other places

That's what we get for paying the fishing tax and my comment on the other thread that I consider it money wasted if I don't get checked for it, its an absolute travesty that neither organisation that is supposed to protect angling do nothing.

ken more

Reaction score
That's what we get for paying the fishing tax and my comment on the other thread that I consider it money wasted if I don't get checked for it, its an absolute travesty that neither organisation that is supposed to protect angling do nothing.

My logic say's "f@ck them" i'm not paying any more:confused:
Do Salmon spawn in that neck of the woods or where canoe/kayak's are aloud to behave like that?