Barbel on bread.

dicky123

Reaction score
Has anyone caught any barbel on bread? I ask as one Youtube fisher seems to take a decent number on the white stuff. He's called the Ginger Fisherman.

Worth a look anyway as he is really old school and catches good barbel anyway. No fancy rigs of baits. Worms maggots and bread, appeals to me as I'm still stuck in the 60/70s.

Cheers.

B

binka

Quite often, more so on crust than flake although I always tear a piece of crust off with plenty of flake attached.

A couple of weekends ago I had three on it whilst chubbing and feeding mashed bread.

It doesn't seem to matter what time of year it is either, they love it!

Last edited:

dicky123

Reaction score
Well I'll be.

I'm stunned. Never heard of anyone taking barbel on bread, just shows.

I'm sure Dynamite will have flavoured bread out soon, all crust!:w:wh

Thanks Guy's really food for thought.:eek:mg:

Cheers.

flightliner

Reaction score
Well I'll be.

I'm stunned. Never heard of anyone taking barbel on bread, just shows.

I'm sure Dynamite will have flavoured bread out soon, all crust!:w:wh

Thanks Guy's really food for thought.:eek:mg:

Cheers.
A commercial near to me has barbel in one of the lakes, one of the regulars fishes it most times he goes and always with flake and mash, he's had dozens, more than most who fish pellets, maggots etx.:)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've had a fair number over the years on bread.....Usually when fishing for roach or chub but it happened too often for it to be a fluke. Years ago when I fished the Kennet there was an Old Boy who used nothing else for barbel come winter and he caught shedloads. This was pre pellet/ boilies when everybody was using meat and he comfortably outfished them. I listened to him,tried it and it worked.

barbelboi

Reaction score
I've also had a fair few over the years on free lined or trotted bread - only a couple on minnow live bait though.............

dicky123

Reaction score
Well the whiskered buglers didn't want it today. Water very cold, lots of people about, non catching,like me,

But I really will fish it ŵith more confidence from now on.

john10

Reaction score
I've caught lots of barbel using bread flake, feeding mashed bread in the swim also helps. I've never thought of it as NOT being a barbel bait.

Philip

Reaction score
They love bread no doubt about it. I remember reading a really interesting piece were they were saying before the Luncheon meat era, bread was the going bait for barbel on the Royalty.

Weirdly (or at least it seemed weird to me) allot of my catches on bread have come in the cold. I say weird as I would have expected meaty baits like maggots to do better but its happened a few times now including one I had on trotted bread when literally the river was at freezing point. The fact it took a moving bait suggests to me that not only did it want it in those conditions but it was actually prepared to chase it ! Another occasion I remember having 3 or 4 in a quick session on bread in very cold conditions and went back to the swim with a load of maggots & a feeder and couldn't catch any.

Another often overlooked bait is cheese. Try sticking a lump of Gruyere on the hook...they will scoff that no question ! ;)

ken more

Reaction score
Like this thread and would really like to fish for Barbel with bread. The only thing that puts me off is that i would be worried if the bread was staying on the hook and for how long. The thought of having a bare hook scares me off without having to reel in too much. Does that even make sense :)

ian g

Reaction score
I've caught quite a few fishing the Severn with bread , while trying to avoid them really chasing chub . I've also caught a few pike and a salmon on bread , I'm not sure it would be my first choice but it works.

B

binka

If anyone's going down the crust route take the glossy but still supple (if it's fresh) stuff off the top and hook first through the flake side, twist the hook 180° towards the body of the bait, and go back through the crust side so that the more durable crust is on the pressure point of the bend, then thread so that the shank is running horizontal to the crust.

Works for me, add a smear of Dairylea and double the attraction :)

Philip

Reaction score
Another tip for keeping Bread/Crust on the hook…get an old Crusty loaf, it can literally be rock hard, & stick it in a couple of air tight plastic bags and tie them tightly shut then bung it in your garage for 2 or 3 days.

The resulting loaf becomes almost like rubber and will stay on the hook like a dream.

If your so inclined you can even add a few drops of flavor to the plastic bags before you tie them up. Give it a try !

B

binka

When fishing crust do you put a shot by the hook?

Yes...

Anywhere between 1" and 4" from the hook and up to a single SSG if it's a large piece of crust, I found it difficult to get my head around at first but it seems to have no detrimental effect on the fish whatsoever.

benny samways

Reaction score
Thanks, binka.

I always fish flake and know it to be floating at first but will sink down eventually.

Ive never been able to get my head round fishing crust. Im gonna nip out now and give it a go

Philip

Reaction score
When fishing crust do you put a shot by the hook?

For what its worth, yes I also sometimes put a shot near the hook but often I dont for the reason you mention, that the flake or Crust will eventually sink on its own accord. it also depends how much you squeeze it as you put it on and you sort of get to know how long its going to stay popped up as such depending on how hard you squeeze.

On some occasions I quite like the idea of a bit of crust starting off boyant and slowly sinking as your "searching" the water as such. Other occasions I dont want it too high and I might put a shot near the hook.

Something I have been doing quite allot of late is to fish flake and crust on very short hooklinks ...2 or 3 inch sort of things so the swivel and the lead act as the weight to hold it down. Keep in mind I usually fish it on tiny link ledgers of 1/8 or 1/4 oz .

One other tactic I use allot is to fish as I mention above , a tiny link ledger of 1/8oz and a bit of boyant flake on the hook. I then cast out into the current and then sort of "bounce" the bait down and round under near bank marginal trees or rafts where the current is more gentle and the lead will settle. This can be deadly and if you get the Crust/lead ratio right you can literally get the bait to settle static miles unders overhanging cover...places you could never reach with a float or conventional lead setup.

Last edited: