The New Adcock Stanton Centre Pin Reel

Bryan Lambton

Reaction score
It is with great honour and pleasure that I get to annouce the re-release of the Adcock Stanton Centre Pin reel. The reel have undergone some enhancements to the classic design all approved by Cliff Adcock himself and will be ready for the marketplace very soon. Please direct all inquires to www.adcockstanton.com and register your interest. Particulars will be emailed out to all who preregister next week.

Some of the enhancements include:

-100% manufactured, designed, and hand assembled in Great Britain
-High grade aircraft Aluminum
-Solid Reel Foot with recessed solid brass label
-ABEC 5 Precision Bearings
-Dupont Krytox lubrication good down to -60 C/-80 F
-Polished Stainless Steel Shaft
-Quick Release spool
-Ultra low start up maintaining adequate inertia
-Improved clicker mechanism
-4.5" and 5" availability
-6 fantastic Rock Solid Anodizing Colour options
-100% Reel customizing availability and accessories
NJB_1100-1.jpg

<a href="http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c314/lambton/NJB_1092-1.jpg">
NJB_1092-1.jpg

</a>
NJB_1095-1.jpg

NJB_1085-1.jpg

NJB_1089-1a.jpg

NewStanton_NaturalFinish.jpg

T

The fishing coach

Being a centrepin freak this really drew my attention. I'm a lifelong fan of the Adcock and Stanton, this being the reel that introduced me to ball bearing centrepins many years ago.

I registered my interest on the "proposed" website and read avidly Bob Roberts' article. This is a beautiful piece of engineering and I was on the point of ordering one to add to my arsenal of 'pins, when I realised that nowhere on the description, order form or in Bob's article does it mention the weight.

This is important to me as most of my fishing is done on rivers trotting a float, often with light lines and Bob's description of the reel mentions "the ultra low start up and adequate inertia" so the reel is meant for this purpose, although it would seem that when he penned his article he was still waiting for the one he had ordered. A few grams can make a lot of difference when you are holding it all day especially when your wrists are as old as mine and the balence of the rods will obviously be effected..

I telephoned the manufacturer and spoke to a very helpful chap who admitted he did not know the weight but went and weighed the 4 1/2 inch model while I waited. He told me it weighed 305gms which is 40 grams heavier than my old Adcock and Stanton and 85 grams heavier than my favourite trotting reel the Bob James Lightweight. Even the Youngs Purist 2040 a very solid reel of the same size that I happily load with 15lb line for snag fishing only weighs 282 gms.

I can only suppose that the extra robustness that must cause the extra weight is a requirement of fishing for steelhead in Canada where the reel seems to have been first launched.

I have not ordered one yet and I await replies to this post in the hope that some one will be able to allay my fears.

D

Dave Burr

Martin

How ya doing mucker?

I can't believe you need another pin, but buy one anyway, you'll find a use for it somewhere.

stikflote

Reaction score
I too expressed my interest in the Adcock i paid ?109 for my last one ,im not buying a new one at ?500 ,i could get a full match set up for that money

stikflote

Reaction score
and how much is a Chris Lythe pin
going to cost ??, ive never seen one one of those pins

T

The fishing coach

This should answer that question

http://www.chrislythe-centrepins.co.uk/ajp-deluxe-centre-pin.html

These are true centrepins not fitted with ball bearings and that's all I will say here for fear of starting a controversy on my first day of posting.

stikflote

Reaction score
im not paying ?425 either, have you not heard of the credit crunch ??
in what way will it be better than my okuma sheffield ,or my Anglers Net centre pin ,the real answer is it wont be any better ,its only got to store line ,and let the flow of the river pull it off , and wind in nicely when its got a fish on.

welcome to fishing magic, fishing coach

T

The fishing coach

Ah, if only it were that simple. Why do we fish? I fish for fun and part of that fun is using tackle I enjoy and fishing in ways that give me pleasure.

Why spoil it by trying to put a price on that pleasure?

D

Dave Burr

Well said mate and welcome to FM.

There will be times when you will need to change that floppy hat for a tin one mind, it gets feisty here sometimes /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

stikflote

Reaction score
the tackle i use does give me great pleasure to use, and it wont get any better by useing gold plated rods an reels , im got to the stage where i look at things and realise one centre pin is as good as another ,plus i would always go for bearings in a pin,.
Alot this fancy stuff is to catch the angler im sure

T

The fishing coach

You're not dragging me down that road. One man's meat is another man's poison or should that be "poisson".

Good night, got to be down the river Itchen early tomorrow.

T

Tony Rocca

Stik,

Some folks appreciate the art accociated with angling, others dont care.

Thats just fine,Its nothing to do with how many fish youcatch, but how.

You enjoy your Okuma, I enjoy my Lythe's.......... everyones happy in their own little way.

By the way, itsa good ideato buy something like a Lythe at the moment, I have had mine about 5 years now and they are worth a good bit more nowthan I paid forthem, cost to me then....... nothing, I can turn them back into cash anytime I want.

Okuma seconhand worth half the price of a new one, if your lucky.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you buy your pins for. At present they are fashionable but this wasn't always so. Benny Ashurst was once asked about his opinions on pins and his response was, 'Aye I'll have two one for each side of me barrow!' Until the showing of the 'Passion for Angling' series of programmes that would have been the opinion of most anglers certainly up here in the North West. Prior to the PoA series Aerials fetched between ten and thirty quid depending on condition. Post PoA the prices rocketed and the newer players came to the fore Whitcher, Lythe and Carter produced low volume high priced craftsftman made reels because a market had developed for them.

I have a brace of Carters but increasingly these tend to stay at home out of the way of the mud water maizemeal and groundbait mixture that winter coarse angling tends to bring in it's wake.

And I use....................

My Okumas! They are superb workhorses and as fishing reels are hard to fault....Does it matter about their secondhand value? Not at all as I have no intention of selling them nor will I and if they get pinched from the back of the car or some other horror befall them I shan't weep half as much as if the same befell my Carters as I can easily replace the Okumas. Fishing reels are just that, fishing reels they are not investments nor are they jewelry they are implements that are used to store, pay out and retrieve fishing line as the need arises. Anybody buying a pin should consider the intrinsic value to you as an angler the effectivness of the tool you are buying against the price being charged by the vendor. Above this point lies folly!

Reaction score
I've got 2 pins on order from Chris Lythe. They are stunning. One of the pins will be made in memory of my father and I could not think of a better way to remember the great times we had together.

The other pin will have my dogs name on it lol. Yes I am mad /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

T

Tony Rocca

You are right Newfie, they are "stunning" and worth every penny.

This being despite the fact that a certainly not stunning Okuma will catch just as many fish Alan./forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

phill mcguire

Reaction score
just ordered a chris lythe tony/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

he makes a superb pin, and will be using my youngs trudex untill its ready

Reaction score
I had a good look at the Stanton and must confess its not for me. Its a kind of G-Plan thing, name only sort of thing.

The big thing that I like about Chris's pins is they are hand made by him. Its nice to see that there is still skill out there to produce such lovely items. Every thing is made abroad or mass produced now, which I'm not keen on even if the item is very good.

I've seen some Carters on ebay going for some good money but and being fairly new to ebay I've not seen any of Chris's reels on there.

I keep looking for a Whitcher and maybe one day one will pop up, fingers crossed.

Oh I forgot to say what I really liked about Chris was he was a very cheerful chap and one who was a pleasure to speak to on the phone. You can tell he loves his work and his fishing.

Damian Kimmins

Reaction score
A centrepin is worth what you want to pay for it!

Personally I would find paying for a Chris Lythe centrepin a little painful, though that is not to say it isn't a wonderful piece of engineering. I find Garry Mills' Barbel Catchers Centrepin more than good enough for me, and though it isn't cheap in itself, the facility to adjust the ratchet on it warrants it worth to me -anything else is just another centrepin, though of course engineered to more or a lesser degree.

Regards,

Damian Kimmins

phill mcguire

Reaction score
newfie

you are wright about chris lythe and his passion for his work and his over welming excitment and pesonality shines through him in abundance, he his truly one of our sports gents and great people. i could talk to chris for hours, he gives off the absolute being of being alive and thankfull for what we have in life and proud of it

wish there were more people like him