Centre Pin - Barbel / Bigger Fish

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Having only ever owned and used (with a record best decribed as modest) a centre pin for trotting, an Alcock Aerial Match, I'd quite like to break new ground this coming river season and have a go for bigger stuff on a pin.

What would be your weapon of choice? Antique or Modern? (The reels, NOT you lot!!)

Any thoughts and opinions appreciated. :)

Reaction score
Very little difference imo,the main thing i'd want for leger/feeder work is an adjustment cog for resistance(as your Match Aerial has),mainly so as not to allow line to be pulled off too easily,i.e. if a leaf catches the line,I set mine so as to slowly drop with a 1.5oz lead,i've said on another thread I have a design made pin that is similar to the Ray Walton Rolling Pin,but better,which my family bought me for my 60th,I have great confidence of accuracy with a feeder,or lead/pva bag,which is important to me,the pin is no good for big rivers(unless fairly close in),but for most of my barbel fishing makes a wonderful angling experience.As for me,definitely*#*#*#* ancient.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What would be your weapon of choice? Antique or Modern? (The reels, NOT you lot!!)

Any thoughts and opinions appreciated. :)

As Whitty said it makes no difference wether the reel is modern or older, it's just down to your preference. Your match aerial will be fine unless you just fancy another reel for a change. Having a stronger ratchet or an adjustable one might come in handy if you fish pacier water where it might pull the drum round on a normal reels ratchet. If you are fishing a glide that pulls your reel drum round you could attach a elastic band to the blank and tuck a loop of line under it....cheaper than buying another reel ;).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'm going to disagree slightly. Whichever pin you use I believe its general construction needs to be more on the robust side. I've seen more than a couple of match aerial models almost collapse under the strain of a decent barbel. Also the ratchet mechanism needs to be sturdy as the finer examples can disintegrate or at least fall apart under that sort of pressure.

I have a few :wh but wouldn't dream of using a Swallow MKI, much prefer the Swallow MKII. Some Speedias feel like cotton reels while others are proper winches! I'm very fond of using one of my much abused Okuma Sheffields, they are the proverbial pocket battleships and fit my grip and thumb perfectly for the control I desire.

Other than the occasional away day to places like the Wye, Trent or Severn every barbel I've had in the past 20 years or so have been on one of my pins. Hopefully many more to come as well. :)

Rich P

Reaction score
I use a Speedia deluxe (wide drum) though I also own a Jet and a Lewtham Quest, the Jet gets used when flow is minimal and the Quest when I want to cast farther, with accuracy (I'm a buffoon with the Wallis cast). The Speedia has a three position check, thus great in faster flows or the autumn (leaves, etc).

I don't see the point of bearings if they're not needed - just another moving-part-potential-pitfall. Mind you, some of the bearing reels are lookers!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to disagree slightly. Whichever pin you use I believe its general construction needs to be more on the robust side. I've seen more than a couple of match aerial models almost collapse under the strain of a decent barbel. Also the ratchet mechanism needs to be sturdy as the finer examples can disintegrate or at least fall apart under that sort of pressure.

I have a few :wh but wouldn't dream of using a Swallow MKI, much prefer the Swallow MKII. Some Speedias feel like cotton reels while others are proper winches! I'm very fond of using one of my much abused Okuma Sheffields, they are the proverbial pocket battleships and fit my grip and thumb perfectly for the control I desire.

Other than the occasional away day to places like the Wye, Trent or Severn every barbel I've had in the past 20 years or so have been on one of my pins. Hopefully many more to come as well. :)

Neil, i'm sure the match aerial reels you witnessed collapse must have been seriously nacked, i've caught hundreds of barbel with allcocks match aerial reels and there's never been a time that i've been worried about the reels being under too much pressure even in hit and hold situations. I very often use aerial reels as I like the look of them and like the match aerial they've all coped with large numbers of barbel without missing a beat. I think a persons rod would snap well before a reel would collapse.
Some older reels with solid drums are the trudex and rapidex and they're robust little reels.
As you say the okumas are great and I very often use them.

macko

Reaction score
Have a look at the Mill Tackle Millstream c/pin, it's got 3 settings L/M/H
There's one on the bay at the moment, and no, it ain't me selling it.
It's been re-listed, due to winning bidder not paying, which I personally think is bollox.
I think Mill Tackle price is £375.00 but don't know if your budget runs to this, if not, go for Okuma Sheffield, quite a strong ratchet.

ATB Macko

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Thanks very much mate, really like the look of the Mill Tackle centrepin.

Couple of mates and Ringwood Tackle to pester as well bit I have a feeling I've seen the future......:)

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
barbel31_600_x_450_.jpg

View image in gallery

An excellent Stour double :)

Sheffield Okuma, 10lb main line, 7lbs fluoro hooklink, 1.25tc rod.

Happy hunting! :)

Reaction score
It is a wonderful way to enjoy a great fish,one thing I will say,when you get a wrap round and hook one,don't forget you havn't got a drag.....:D

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
It is a wonderful way to enjoy a great fish,one thing I will say,when you get a wrap round and hook one,don't forget you havn't got a drag.....:D

:confused: :)

You have! Your thumb will be infinitely more variable and sensitive than any gearing ever invented!

:):cool:

B

binka

I've never looked back since returning to the 'pin and can't honestly say I've ever felt under gunned, even with the bigger lumps...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As some people will know I also like using pins....

bel%201.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Some more models of pins...I removed 'em as it seemed a bit much.

Last edited:

dorsetandchub

Reaction score
Some pretty flimsy evidence there.....:)

Seriously, thank you - it looks like so much fun, it would be rude not to wouldn't it?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Removed again as a little borin'.

Last edited:

macko

Reaction score
Some great fish and pins there Tigger:thumbs::thumbs:

swizzle

Reaction score
What a beautiful collection of reels you have Tigger. Must have cost you a fortune over the years.