Opening Day.

dicky123

Reaction score
For the last decade I've not fished opening days due to the crowds. Honestly I've not missed them. When I worked I never missed one, but now find the first week day always peaceful and stress free.

Will you be on the river bank on the 16th?

lambert1

Reaction score
For the first time in a while as it falls on a Friday and I tend to go on Friday evenings after work as we finish at 4pm on Fridays. I have booked the week off as well and hope to get some more evenings in. Got a very long list of chores for the daytime though:eek:

Rich P

Reaction score
Yep - Friday's booked off work and I plan to roll up to the Dove before midnight, lightly bait a few swims (no caviar involved) and cast in at the appointed hour. I don't usually do this, however for some reason I'm more excited this year.

Good luck to all those venturing out.

B

binka

Yep I will be on the river at daybreak, the most magical morning of the year :)

I've got a few pints of reds on order as I will be running the stick through and not looking for barbel for the first couple of weeks although I fully expect to encounter one or two.

I'm just looking forward to getting back onto running water and all the diversity that it has to offer.

Tight lines to one and all...

sam vimes

Reaction score
My work is seasonal and I'm usually finished by "harvest". What "harvest" actually means is something of a mystery. I'm usually done and dusted sometime in June or July. This year, I was due to be finished today, just in time for the new season. Unfortunately, I was asked to work an extra week, possibly three. I can't afford to look a gift horse in the mouth, not if I want to swan around doing nowt but fish for the rest of the year and buy a new car. I might get out on Friday night, but I doubt it.

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Looks like I'm giving it a miss this year, unless I get up silly early on Friday to have a few hours before work. I might just arm myself with a rod, a few slices of bread, a packet of hooks and a net and see if I can freeline out a chub or two. But then again, a 4am start for 2 hours fishing doesn't sound like that great an idea!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
From June 16 for a few months I want to achieve a goal, catch a Barbel, any Barbel will do except the still water variety :eek:mg: not easy on the Canterbury stretches of the Stour nowadays, they've all but disappeared but there are one or two locations where they may still reside, all I have to do is find them.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Same with me on Bristol avon but most have moved on or been eaten by otters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
From June 16 for a few months I want to achieve a goal, catch a Barbel, any Barbel will do except the still water variety :eek:mg: not easy on the Canterbury stretches of the Stour nowadays, they've all but disappeared but there are one or two locations where they may still reside, all I have to do is find them.

Sounds similar to Bedfordshire,they are still there,but much,much harder,it seem fishing at night is best,which rules me out,I just don't enjoy fishing in the dark anymore,used to a lot,not for barbel mind,going to have to fish for other species,which on the Ouse is difficult,lets hope you pick one up...:)

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
I'll be hoping to bag my first ever Barbel from the upper reaches of the Medway around Fordcombe and Ashurst.

But for opening day I'll be found on the Beult near Hunton/Yalding with a couple of mates enjoying trying to catch whatever I can by whatever method I fancy on the day. Many Sausages will be grilled, fine coffee will be quaffed and bets placed for the coming season. The day will kick off at daybreak (4am ish I believe) and will continue until we run out of coffee/sausages/daylight/the will to live.

This will then be repeated on Saturday on the Medway at Porters lock and again on Sunday on a beautiful little stretch of the Eden, barely 10ft wide but home to some spanking Perch and Chub.

I'm like a kid before Christmas at the moment - every evening spent in the Man Cave prepping tackle, re-spooling reels, tying rigs and generally mucking about with my kit.

Bring it on.....

sam vimes

Reaction score
Finished work later than normal and had to go back in today. Finished at half four today and had threatened to get out. Unfortunately, I really can't be bothered. It's too hot, too windy and too early in the season. However, the overriding factor is that I'm knackered. Might get out tomorrow, if I can be bothered! If I don't get out tomorrow, it'll be a couple of weeks until I do. Self employment sucks sometimes, but, hopefully, it'll be all that's wonderful again when I'm finished in a couple of weeks.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Finished work later than normal and had to go back in today. Finished at half four today and had threatened to get out. Unfortunately, I really can't be bothered. It's too hot, too windy and too early in the season. However, the overriding factor is that I'm knackered. Might get out tomorrow, if I can be bothered! If I don't get out tomorrow, it'll be a couple of weeks until I do. Self employment sucks sometimes, but, hopefully, it'll be all that's wonderful again when I'm finished in a couple of weeks.

Your most likely knackered because of the sudden heat, i'm the same myself....shagged out! We just don't have enough of it to get used to it (thank god).
The thought of fishing today makes me feel faint :eek:mg: :D.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Your most likely knackered because of the sudden heat, i'm the same myself....shagged out! We just don't have enough of it to get used to it (thank god).
The thought of fishing today makes me feel faint :eek:mg: :D.

12 hour days might have something to do with it, but hot days don't help.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
12 hour days might have something to do with it, but hot days don't help.

Ste Bink'a seems do manage ok doing 12 hrs on the river, he can't wait to get back to work the very next day n'all....he's a machine!... I bet he's there right now :eek:

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
Bet he still cooks sausages in this heat too!

Whats wrong with that?

I wasn't aware that apart from regularly busting bits of kit Binka was a true devotee of the bankside banger. A true gent in my opinion. I hope to one day meet this angling legend with whom I share so many traits.

B

binka

Too hot for sausages today, even for me.

It was 30° when I turned off the road for the track to the river this afternoon although a good bankside banger is never far from my thoughts...

Mmmm, sausages! :)

(That must be an old picture, the neoprene gas pouch is still intact pre-the day it caught fire and half of it melted :eek:mg:)

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Self employment sucks sometimes, but, hopefully, it'll be all that's wonderful again when I'm finished in a couple of weeks.

Ditto that.

I work as an independent agent directing work through companies of my choice and I also do direct work for myself, from February to May I never received a single order for my direct work and then I got hit with three months worth in a week :eek: