River severn fishing near woolaston/chepstow

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm taking my 2 boys away and was hoping to do some barbel fishing. I've never done it before and was wondering if they habitat that part of the river. Also any tips on bait/rigs etc would be greatly appreciated as we are very inexperienced and have only been carp fishing for a couple of years. Cheers ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Looking at where you are going,you'd be better off fishing for thornback rayson the Severn,the Wye is a better bet but fishing is limited and relatively expensive,look on the 'Wye and Usk foundation' website. Alan

thecrow

Reaction score
To be honest Anthony the lower Severn is not a place to begin fishing for Barbel and the parts you mention are really the lower lower Severn.

I wouldn't say that there are no Barbel that far down but I would say it wont be easy fishing for them, all I can suggest is that if you are willing to travel you could have a look at stretches of the Wye within a reasonable distance.

Sorry not to be able to help you further.

Reaction score
Cheers fellas. I don't mind travelling a bit?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I have no real knowledge of that part of the Severn other than it's massive and hugely tidal. Can't imagine too much barbel fishing going on that far down the river. If there is, then I suggest it's only for the hardened, very experienced angler who knows exactly what challenges that style of fishing entails.

Far better to have a look at the Wye between Monmouth and Ross, 10 to 20 miles from Woolaston, where there's plenty of barbel fishing available, some of which is guided.

Reaction score
I have no real knowledge of that part of the Severn other than it's massive and hugely tidal. Can't imagine too much barbel fishing going on that far down the river. If there is, then I suggest it's only for the hardened, very experienced angler who knows exactly what challenges that style of fishing entails.

Far better to have a look at the Wye between Monmouth and Ross, 10 to 20 miles from Woolaston, where there's plenty of barbel fishing available, some of which is guided.
That's a great help. Thank you Neil ?

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Anthony,
As Alan/Whitty says in his response - the area you refer to is the tidal stretch of the Severn estuary - from memory it is very muddy and you could well lose yourself and /or the kids there!

The Wye flows through Chepstow and is known as a Barbel river - but the favoured stretches are expensive/exclusive and Alan's tip on the Foundation may be the best place to start.

What sort of fishing do you normally do for Carp? - Stillwater?
Fishing a river is quite a different kettle of ....... :eek:mg: ... - sorry! :D

One of the big problems on many rivers - especially the Wye - is accessability down the banks - and getting back up them! There are a few members of this forum that can attest to that!:rolleyes:

I'm hoping that there are some members more local to the area that will be able to give you a better steer on the local fishing. Whereabouts are you based and what kind of waters do you normally fish - and how old are the kids?

Tight Lines :thumbs:

Reaction score
Hi Anthony,
As Alan/Whitty says in his response - the area you refer to is the tidal stretch of the Severn estuary - from memory it is very muddy and you could well lose yourself and /or the kids there!

The Wye flows through Chepstow and is known as a Barbel river - but the favoured stretches are expensive/exclusive and Alan's tip on the Foundation may be the best place to start.

What sort of fishing do you normally do for Carp? - Stillwater?
Fishing a river is quite a different kettle of ....... :eek:mg: ... - sorry! :D

One of the big problems on many rivers - especially the Wye - is accessability down the banks - and getting back up them! There are a few members of this forum that can attest to that!:rolleyes:

I'm hoping that there are some members more local to the area that will be able to give you a better steer on the local fishing. Whereabouts are you based and what kind of waters do you normally fish - and how old are the kids?

Tight Lines :thumbs:
Cheers Greenie, we normally fish for carp. We are located in maghull just outside Liverpool.

Reaction score
Cheers Greenie, we normally fish for carp. We are located in maghull just outside Liverpool.

Sorry my boys are are 9 and 13

---------- Post added at 11:48 ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 ----------

If this link works (usually don't when I put them up :D ) it might help with somewhere to fish not to far away.

https://www.live4fishing.com/river-wye-lower-lydbrook
Didn't work ??

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi Anthony,
Let us know how you get on in finding the fishng on the Wye - there's quite a few Forum members who fish it and would probably help with info if you have somewhere in mind that you want confirmation of - or the reverse!:eek:

This post from John Step, from another thread, illustrates the 'forbidding' nature of some of the banks!:)
Not fishing but just looking.
Whilst visiting relatives, I have had two drives alongside The Wye from Monmouth to Chepstow this week.
Lovely looking river but where the hell would you gain access to fish down those steep wooded sides.
No wonder my non angling brother who lives in Chepstow says he has never seen anyone fishing.

When are you going down there? Hope you all have a good time!
Cheers,
Mike

Reaction score
Hi Anthony,
Let us know how you get on in finding the fishng on the Wye - there's quite a few Forum members who fish it and would probably help with info if you have somewhere in mind that you want confirmation of - or the reverse!:eek:

This post from John Step, from another thread, illustrates the 'forbidding' nature of some of the banks!:)

When are you going down there? Hope you all have a good time!
Cheers,
Mike
Cheers Mike.

Going the end of August. Don't worry, I don't take any risks with the kids. I'm sure there are parts of the river where you have to pay for access? If there is then I imagine they will be pretty safe?

greenie62

Reaction score
.... I'm sure there are parts of the river where you have to pay for access? If there is then I imagine they will be pretty safe?....

You pay for the fishing - not the ease of access! :D

One of my friends 'mountaineered' down a steep bank - only to find the only fishable swim was already occupied by another angler who had been hidden by the forestation!:eek: - his slog back up the hill was so knackering he gave up fishing for the day and went to the pub instead!:D:eek:mg:

A bit different from yer normal commercial waters!:rolleyes:
:thumbs:

Reaction score
Many of the stretches of the Wye and Severn have cliff like banks Anthony,as for paying,there is little day ticket water on the Wye,other than the Wye and Usk foundation water,which you have to book in advance,as it was virtually all salmon angling,no access for coarse anglers was the norm,today as salmon have had such a hard time,the estate owners have been coerced by the foundation to allow limited access,for a price,have a look online mate and see.