Need advice for a budget Barbel reel.

clutch

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have recently started to fish for Barbel on the Severn and I have loved it. However, I have noticed that I could use an upgrade where my reel is concerned. Currently, I have been using a TF gear reel that doesn't fill me with much confidence. The bail arm sticks, the drag is not smooth so playing a fish can be tricky and It just feels a bit naff.

So I am looking for a new reel, but I am on a bit of a budget, £50 ish. Can anyone recommend anything? Also what size should I go for? If necessary I wouldn't mind going second hand.

I see that an online tackle shop are selling a Shimano ST RB 6000 for £35. However, I did not know if that reel would be a bit big.

Would be grateful for any help or advice.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Much depends on the style of barbel fishing you have in mind. However, for many, a 6000 sized Shimano Baitrunner would often be considered a bit big. Unfortunately, Shimano decided that the ever popular 5000 sized baitrunners were no longer necessary. They've left a gap between 4000 and 6000 sizes. 4000s can be perfectly adequate though and they've compensated by giving some models oversized spools. Unfortunately, these models are beyond your budget. If you shop around, you should be able to get a Shimano DL4000FA coming around budget.
If you think they are a little small, and the 6000 size too big, it may be worth looking at the small Daiwa baitrunners. The Daiwa Black Widow BR is available in the 5000 size and is close to budget.

macko

Reaction score
If you're fishing one rod look at the Daiwa Ninja's

ATB Macko

clutch

Reaction score
Thanks chaps,

I thought a 6000 might be a bit big. I will keep looking and see if I can find a good deal on something thats better than what I already have.

mikench

Reaction score
Following a recommendation from Binka and a simply wonderful test drive on the Trent culminating in my very first barbel and 5 more besides, i bought a Diawa Emcast 3500!;) What more can i say and i do know others have done the same ie bought one!

I am delighted with it and have since had bream to 7lb and a tench of around 6.5lb. Angling Direct had them at £60 delivered. A very nice reel and a nice touch is that the symbol to tell you the freespool feature is activated is luminous!:)

B

binka

a nice touch is that the symbol to tell you the freespool feature is activated is luminous!:)

All the night sessions I've done with mine and I've never noticed that lol.

Mind you they do have the yellowy white tinge to 'em which luminous stuff often has, I will be in the garage tonight after dark having a look :)

mickb

Reaction score
I'd go for a decent second hand shimano off eBay as tigger has already said. Either a 5000re or 5000gte. They go for about 50 quid. They are always on ebay because they were so popular. Some of them have hardly been used and as good as new. I think the 5000 size was perfect for rivers. In my opinion the 4000 size is a bit too small for bigger rivers and the 6000 a little bit too big and heavy for my liking on a 1.75lb tc rod. I've bought budget reels in the past and they've not stood the test of time. Won't go wrong with shimano.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Be a little wary of the older 5000 GT variants. Though they are good reels, there's a small part that wears badly which can no longer be replaced, it just isn't available any more.

mickb

Reaction score
I'd just like to add that not all 5000 baitrunners are the same size and weight. The re and gte are very similar. I think the gte came standard with a double handle whereas the earlier re came with a single handle. The later limited edition re came with a double handle too. The gte I think had a couple of extra ball bearings. I did buy a 5000xtea which had the best rear drag I've ever used on a reel but this reel was heavier than the re or gte and didn't feel right on a barbel rod. To cap off I'd suggest the re or gte in 5000 series.

Reaction score
Just to add my tuppence in,I don't use baitrunner reels for barbel,if using fixed spools i'm usually fishing a fairly tight clutch to get the upper hand as early as possible,my reels are normally 40 sized,big reels are not needed where I have fished...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just to add my tuppence in,I don't use baitrunner reels for barbel,if using fixed spools i'm usually fishing a fairly tight clutch to get the upper hand as early as possible,my reels are normally 40 sized,big reels are not needed where I have fished...

The shimano 5000gte's and the even older 5010's arn't big reels really, but they have a hell of a lot of cranking power and seem bomb proof. The baitrunner switch is handy if your pouring a brew or something similar, you can have the runner set as firm as you like up to the point of not having your rods go in just in case you can't put your cup down quick enough ;).

mickb

Reaction score
I find the baitrunner ideal for when I've netted a fish to pay out a bit of line as I bring the net to the bank. It's less tangle prone than using the backwind or open bail arm. I never use the baitrunner to let a fish run as I only use one rod but I find them very handy at times. The 5000 re and gte are not big or heavy and their quite easy to touch ledger with if that's your thing. If however my barbel fishing was restricted to small rivers then maybe I might be tempted by a 4000.

Last edited:

dave m

Reaction score
definitely consider the 6000 sized shimano baitrunners, especially the older models. the aero and aero GT made with the xt7 plastic are much lighter than the 5000 gte or RE as they have a metal body.

on a low river the 5000 seems ideal, but will you be changing to a bigger reel when its 3-4ft up and you need 4-6oz to hold bottom.

sam vimes

Reaction score
definitely consider the 6000 sized shimano baitrunners, especially the older models. the aero and aero GT made with the xt7 plastic are much lighter than the 5000 gte or RE as they have a metal body.

I think you may be mistaken. As far as I'm aware, all of the GTE series (GTE, GTE-B, GTE-C) and the REs have XT-7 bodies. I can be absolutely sure of this with regards to the GTE-Cs, because I have several. The difference was that they applied shiny/coloured finishes to the XT-7 where the earlier reels had the classic matt black look.

To all intents and purposes, the differences between the various X000 GT(E) baitrunners were fairly minimal. Different spools, handles, gear/bearings and cosmetic finishes. Shimano don't make many all metal reels. When they do, they invariably cost a lot of money, way more than any of the old baitrunners have cost. XT-7 is now the most basic material they use. It's been superseded by XGT-7, Ci4 and Ci4+ composites. A shiny or coloured finish is no indicator as to the material used. All of them can be finished this way if they choose to.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know my 5010's and 8010's where graphite bodies and spools (one of the supplied spools had an alloy rim) but I've always thought my GTE 5000's and 8000's are alloy bodied and graphite spools both with alloy rims, the reels definitely feel like alloy. I've seen them when the paint is rubbed off the corners of the feet and it looked like shinny alloy.
I've just looked at th ebox and instructions but can't see it mention what they bodies are made of...i'm sure it's alloy of some kind.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I know my 5010's and 8010's where graphite bodies and spools (one of the supplied spools had an alloy rim) but I've always thought my GTE 5000's and 8000's are alloy bodied and graphite spools both with alloy rims, the reels definitely feel like alloy. I've seen them when the paint is rubbed off the corners of the feet and it looked like shinny alloy.
I've just looked at th ebox and instructions but can't see it mention what they bodies are made of...i'm sure it's alloy of some kind.

5010GTs were definitely XT-7 (a graphite polymer), I've had those too. I guess you could take a hammer to your GTEs for conclusive proof!;):D The GTE-B and GTE-Cs were definitely XT-7 with shiny paint jobs. I have my doubts that they'd take a step back to alloy part way through the model's progression, but it might be possible. Get that hammer out!;)