Presenting bait in heavy weed.

Reaction score
After my two weeks on the lower Stour(evenings only melud)i'm interested in you guys ways round presenting bait in heavy weed,the weed I had problems with was ribbon weed,I used short hooklinks,10-12ins,heavyish leads,attaching a pva bag to the lead,then hooking the bag,trying to ensure the bait actually arrives on the bottom,any ideas fellas???

thecrow

Reaction score
Everything in a bag and then into another bag, heavy lead and short 4/5 inch hook length is one way that I have got through weed previously in both rivers and still waters. Its a method that demands confidence that your rig has got through the weed which it usually does but tart thinking it hasn't and reel in will likely result in hooking weed, a bit like fishing flake and wondering if its still on the hook.

B

binka

Sounds a bit of a tricky one to me and hard to tell without seeing the actual swim.

For me and depending on the flow it would be as much about keeping the bait where I wanted it as getting it there in the first place and maybe something like a relatively heavy soaked pellet would work?

As for getting it there I would go with the lead in the pva bag of feed but maybe consider doing the same with the hookbait except swap the feed for some grit, fine gravel or even a single stone to make sure it has the weight to get through the weed?

You could also swap the bag for pva string if you were just using a stone...

john step

Reaction score
Whitty, after reading your results recently on the Stour I think you were probably doing everything right :D:D

Reaction score
It never hurts for different ideas,or opinions John,as for swims Steve,the vast majority are at least as bad,if not worse,some look relatively clear,but the ribbon weed is at least 3ft long wafting around,the fish probably enjoy a fair amount of security because of it,from us and from otters,ten years ago there was hardly any of the stuff,so nitrates from the land,or our sewage works have suited the weed perfectly.Normally I like smallish baits in singles or pairs,but in the weed two 15mm boilies are favourite,my motto is they have to find it to take it.

I also considered before going down there to have my main feed bag with pellet and boilies on my keyhole clip at the lead,then make a bag with a few broken boilies with my hook and bait inside it,I didn't try it because it was too much faffing about in relatively short sessions.

Last edited:

floatfish

Reaction score
Fishing the Upper reaches of the Yorkshire Derwent for Chub in the Steamer weed. We used to use a big Chubber type float, 6 lb line direct to a 10 or 8 size hook, a couple of decent size Shot to sink the bait Choose what you fancy for bait, but we tended to use big thumb sized lumps of Sliced white bread.. Land the rig between the weed in the clearish bits, let the bait sink. Flick the float onto the weed top and let it anchor the bait,near the edge, the bait went under the weed and moved around with the current,then await results. Bites were hard to miss when any sort of decent size fish took them.

An alternative method to fishing with leads into the weed,and almost silent
when positioning your bait and little to disturb the fish.

Reaction score
Sadly,there are no gaps or runs,apart from above the weed(in places),barbel however,don't seem to want to come over the weed...

Philip

Reaction score
PVA bag, heavy lead and short hooklink as Crow mentioned sounds about right to me.

Alternatively if you dont want to mess around with PVA do the same but use a nice stiff/heavy method ball round the lead. Bury the bait into the ball so it does not caught up on the way down.