Hinders Elips Pellets.....

Reaction score
As many on FM will know some while ago now these pellets were no longer available in an elliptical shape,which as a barbel angler was a shame on a bottom hugging front,yesterday I looked to buy 5 kilos,£15 plus,add on £6-8 delivery and they become very expensive pellets indeed,gold plated in fact,why is it they are not available in more outlets at their retail price,so as to reduce anglers outlay,I am positive they would sell more,Team Barbel sell them(midlands based)but only in 2kg bags.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Sorry Simon,I should clarify that I want 5kg,my problem being the fact that as Hinders charge exorbitantly for what after all is a n other pellet,which added to shipping totals take them over £22 and up to over £24 for a measly 5kg,when Sonubaits and Mistral sold the elliptical pellets(which must have been the same as they stopped being sold at the same time)you could buy them in many tackle shops,now your being held to ransom on carriage making them over £4 a kilo,when you are basically buying in bulk,now they are good pellet,but they are expensive,again because a lot of barbel anglers swear by them they're getting away with it.

thecrow

Reaction score
From what I have read the pellet was made that shape to give them a slower fall through the water to cut down on waste that settled onto the bottom, they were certainly a very popular pellet before production was stopped (why that happened I don't know)

Are the ones sold by hinders made with the same ingredients? they are very high oil and its for that reason I would only use them as a hookbait the oil giving my bait a longer life in the water.

I think that Hinders being a carp bait supplier initially (iirc) and getting away with the over inflated prices some are willing to pay for that has carried over into Barbel bait or it may just be that since the large scale industrial production ceased it costs more to produce them now with overheads being higher.

Reaction score
The elliptical pellets went out of production because the machine was worn out and costing too much to maintain,so it was scrapped I believe,they didn't roll out of the swim as quickly as cylindrical pellets for obvious reasons and yes,they are the same ingredients,the amount I'd be feeding isn't a prob!em IMO,is one pint maximum per session,I hope...

thecrow

Reaction score
The elliptical pellets went out of production because the machine was worn out and costing too much to maintain,so it was scrapped I believe,they didn't roll out of the swim as quickly as cylindrical pellets for obvious reasons and yes,they are the same ingredients,the amount I'd be feeding isn't a prob!em IMO,is one pint maximum per session,I hope...

I don't know how many pints there are in 5 kilo's but I reckon that's quite a few sessions, cheaper than casters or maggots :D

Reaction score
Yes,it is cheaper than maggot,thing is the tightwad in me knows I can buy pellets a fair bit cheaper in the shops,no postage,they aren't quite as good,but still get munched.;)

mickb

Reaction score
Hinders know how to charge alright. I just use dynamite pellets for hookbait and just your average smaller pellets for the feeder. I won't pay them prices plus postage for a not so clever fish that doesn't take much catching. I buy them from a seed merchant for bargain price. Mixed with hemp they last ages. Haven't really seen a drop off in bites. The machine was decommissioned because it was knackered and not worth overhauling for the fishing industry. According to some guy at sonubaits the real reason they were made elliptical was because it reduced the drying time of the pellet which reduced the cost.

Reaction score
:D Mick,you need to move elsewhere if barbel are too easy to catch for you,I wish they were here these days,blanks a plenty,multiple captures rare,enjoy these times while there there...

mickb

Reaction score
Hi whitty. I suppose it's what rivers you fish. I believe a lot of the southern rivers are now devoid of fish as otters have taken their toll. I fish the ribble which is full of barbel. There are otters here but maybe because it's a big river the barbel might have a better chance of avoiding them. Won't ever catch one at a huge size though. Anything over 11 is a rarity with most ribble fish around the 8lb size. Good luck with the barbel and I understand what you're saying about the hinders pellets. They are a bit on the expensive side.

Reaction score
To be fair the Ouse and Ivel were never dead easy,with 4-5 being a brilliant session even at their hayday(for me anyhow),the rivers had a fair head of fish,but they often spooked,on the H.Avon the most I had in a session was 13,but again 4-5 was a brilliant day,similar on the D.Stour,today catching one is a result,maybe two,for whatever reasons the fish aren't there as they were,listening to how many barbel have been stocked into the Trent in recent years(50,000),I wonder how the Trent would be fishing without the stockings,the Teme is almost bereft,I hear the Kennet is a shadow of it's former self,the Wensum is the same,what the future brings,who knows,so as i've said to others,enjoy them while they're there,because anglers on the rivers mentioned wouldn't have believed you if you'd have told them what their rivers would be like today...:(

Rich P

Reaction score
Have you tried West Country Baits? They do an elips (being round, it's probably time they changed the name!). I used to get mine from T7.

laguna

Reaction score
Even though an ellipse holds bottom better than a round, I reckon it had more to do with the composition than the shape imo. Besides, I'm sure it wasn't the reason why they're not made any more, as hammer mills are all the same. A flattened round nozzle is what produces an elliptical shape - cheap!
Possibly a design-right issue.

Philip

Reaction score
A flattened round nozzle is what produces an elliptical shape

Exactly ...so even if the machine was knackered surely you only need to put a flat nozzle on the new machine to make the elipse shape again.

There must be another reason.

laguna

Reaction score
Exactly ...so even if the machine was knackered surely you only need to put a flat nozzle on the new machine to make the elipse shape again.

Yes its as simple as changing a cheap worn out nozzle, not the machine. As I say; I think it had more to do with the design itself which may have infringed on some IP.
* Disclaimer. This is my own personal opinion only, based on pure conjecture not fact. I am not in anyway suggesting it is the case. I am neither associated with, nor have I at any time ever been privileged to know such facts of the inner workings of said company or familiar with their processes.

BTW if anyone is interested in making elliptical shaped pellets at home with PONDBOND, or in fact any other shape for personal use, I might be persuaded to share an idea using crushed trout pellets as a base material.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score

Most likely reason...

They didn't sell enough to be economically viable...

Philip

Reaction score
Most likely reason...

They didn't sell enough to be economically viable...

I would usually agree although as it seemed everyone and his dog was writing about using them I am surprised they dont still make at least some. The cost (as far as I can see) would be exactly the same as a round pellet...you just change the nozzle that extrudes it.

I think Laguna may be nearer the mark that perhaps it was a copyright thing but I am guessing.

Reaction score
Wow,its the developed bit that amazes me,who are they trying to kid,great news though.