First time trotting session

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Not been on the bank for a few days, decided to try some river trotting. Flipping heck it’s harder than I thought but when you get it right it’s quite an experience.

Getting the mechanics of casting sorted out was a challenge, managed several longish casts, when not getting hooked up on reeds, tree branches etc. Quite like the roving approach, at least it keeps you fit.

Impressed with the 13ft Drennan series 7 Tench rod, line pickup is very smooth and the rod weighs next to nowt. Figuring out the bottom depth was tricky but managed some nice thirty yard runs. The river is quite overgrown, which made for some difficult casting. One thing I will,give a shout too is my new roving bag Korum bait and bits bag, managed to get all the stuff I needed in it. Including rig boxes etc. Seems well made and the carry strap is quite comfortable.

So all in all a nice few hours on the Derwent trying something new, need to improve my technique though.

theartist

Reaction score
From small acorns large oaks grow - or something like that

Just enjoy it, don't matter what gear you got if you have the trotting nailed you have a new gift. if you think your'e getting it nailed then it's a great feeling and if your struggling, don't worry, go back to what you know and have a few hours running a float through when things are slow.

Nowt like running a float through, can be hard work but it's fun

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
From small acorns large oaks grow - or something like that

Just enjoy it, don't matter what gear you got if you have the trotting nailed you have a new gift. if you think your'e getting it nailed then it's a great feeling and if your struggling, don't worry, go back to what you know and have a few hours running a float through when things are slow.

Nowt like running a float through, can be hard work but it's fun

Thanks, lots to learn for sure. One thing I am not convinced about, my pin was filled so that the line plays out from the top of the reel, this cause a few issues with the wind blowing it and causing it to snag.

I feel that casting and feeding the line out would be better from the bottom of the reel, any opinions on this ?

Thanks

flightliner

Reaction score
Line coming off the reel top or bottom is a personal choice, no right or wrong choice really but whichever way is fine.
Make sure you have a variety of floats for the Derwent as with other rivers its lined with trees in places, all potential float snatchers but that will lesson as you get more experienced.
The main reason is the way the trees cast their shadow on the water causing one colour tip to be less effective and harder to see for shorter or longer peroods depending.It can be frustrating and hard on the concentration at times and without them it can spoil a potential good day/catch.
Blacks, oranges, whites or tips with a combination of both are usefull to have on your trips out by the river.
Trotting is by far one of the most enjoayable method of catching fish, one that more than any other puts you in tune with the river you,re fishing at the time.
Enjoy the journey, it's one you never want to end.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
Any benefits if any of the line coming off the top are very minimal and as flight says it's up to you, I use an old 'coffee grinder' open face reel and do just as well as I would on a pin. It's all about being comfortable and having fun

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, lots to learn for sure. One thing I am not convinced about, my pin was filled so that the line plays out from the top of the reel, this cause a few issues with the wind blowing it and causing it to snag.

I feel that casting and feeding the line out would be better from the bottom of the reel, any opinions on this ?

Thanks

Imo to have the line coming off the top of the reel is backward and that is a fact no matter what anyone says....your winding in backwards :rolleyes:.

It's far more sensible to have your line coming off the bottom of the reel. It makes winding back easier for starters. If I had to use a centrepin with the line coming off the top i'd get shut of them all and use a F/S or closed faced reel.

You'll still get line wrapping round the foot etc just the same with the line coming off the bottom because of the wind or overruns on casting but you'll learn how to avoid these problems yourself as you tweak your technique.
Ignore all the backward people :eek:mg::D and swap it round the right way ;).

Reaction score
As everyone knows I'm a 'backward' man:rolleyes:,but surely one thing must have some effect is that there must be fractionally more friction when the line comes from the bottom of the pin,purely because of the angle from the drum to the butt ring,do what you prefer mind.
Last year I was fishing for chub,I'd had 6 nice fish when my 'Sheffield' had a problem,so I changed to a fixed spool,now I knew how I wanted the float to go down and it looked right,never had a bite,after an hour or so I changed back to the ailing Sheffield,having to revolve the drum with my fingers,I caught another chub straight away,lost one and had several roach and perch.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
I feel that I have more control over the reel with my thumb going backwards to pay line out, it seems awkward to me having to flick your thumb forward.

Oh by the way, the reel is a Matt Hayes limited edition (pinch of salt applied)
which works quite nicely, it was a fleabay purchase, did the reel come with any instructions, maintenance etc? as I cannot find anything online.

There is something quite nice about centrepins, I can see me getting the bug, lets hope the wife undestands lol.

Reaction score
I feel that I have more control over the reel with my thumb going backwards to pay line out, it seems awkward to me having to flick your thumb forward.

Oh by the way, the reel is a Matt Hayes limited edition (pinch of salt applied)
which works quite nicely, it was a fleabay purchase, did the reel come with any instructions, maintenance etc? as I cannot find anything online.

There is something quite nice about centrepins, I can see me getting the bug, lets hope the wife undestands lol.

I'm the same about the line coming off the top,but when you post this you must do so with a whisper,as you could receive a multitude of reasons why you shouldn't think so....:wh

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
One other question when trotting if your fishing on the bottom and your rolling a bait through how do shot the float, presumably you would have most of the shot near the float thus allowing the bait to be in front of the float.

Whats the score when trundling a piece of meat which is quite heavy I noticed when I was doing this the other day that the float was tipping forward, I was constantly mending the line, how do you overcome the baits weight?

B

binka

presumably you would have most of the shot near the float

It's usually very much the opposite, if you're bulking shot near the float it's serving no other purpose than to add casting weight which usually isn't required when trotting, or to dot the float down.

The two usual styles of shotting are:

Short button style, which speaks for itself and where you position your shot at regular intervals down the line in order to give a more natural fall of the bait and help it rise when holding back

Bulk, again as the name suggests a bulk of shot is placed on the line anywhere from two thirds down to lower with a single dropper between the bulk and the hook, often used in stronger flows where you need to get the bait down to the fish or when you're fishing for fish such as barbel which you know will be hugging the bottom.

If you find yourself bulking shot around your float when trotting just ask yourself why?

If it's not adding casting weight then it's odds on it's not necessary at all.

theartist

Reaction score
Binka's nailed the shot bit there mate I do a compromise between 'shirt' and bulk usually, the last thing you want is all your shot near the float unless you're fishing a dead slow almost still bit of water for fish on the drop

Whats the score when trundling a piece of meat which is quite heavy I noticed when I was doing this the other day that the float was tipping forward, I was constantly mending the line, how do you overcome the baits weight?

In some swims it's pretty hard as the surface water is much faster than down below, it's not so much the bait's weight more the difference of current speeds at different depths, when faced with a really fast swim you have to be on it from the moment that float hits the water, and pray there's no downstream and across wind. Some swims despite the best efforts are best left for the ledger lads - that's the way of float fishing

I'd avoid those spots if your starting out and look for the steady glides, they'll hold plenty of fish especially the shallow ones. As for constantly mending the line well that's a good habit to get in to, so don't scrimp on that as those fish wont go near anything that's going downstream unnaturally.

Another thing with meat that works is to cut it in small chunks the size of sweetcorn, and feed a few each cast (with hemp if you can) big barbel and chub love them despite being small, plus you'll get plenty of interest from the other species to keep you busy. Probably a better bet than trying to trot a big chunk.