What makes a good Centrepin

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Given my recent purchase of a Pin, I have become quite hooked pardon the pun on the Pin design. I'm interested in purchasing another, might replace my obsession with watches haha. What makes a good centre pin?

As an example many folk when tallking of baitrunners always suggest Shimano, not my preference but each to their own. I wonder if the same can be said over a Pin.

Some of these reels are quite expensive, but what makes them more costly, is it the name, or the history. Or are some more style over substance?

Just interested in some comments from some of the Pin Gurus

Thanks

thecrow

Reaction score
Expect lots of different opinions on this, there are some good threads concerning this on FM somewhere but I am not the one that is able to find them :D

Reaction score
As I have a Matt Hayes limited edition,which isn't a brilliant pin imo,but I quite like it,I reckon a machined arbour is better than 'spokes' as the line isn't kinked,I have four pins,two properuns and two bearing reels,both kinds seem OK to me,I'd like a young's but wonder whether its worth the expense as I catch OK with the reels I have.

puffer_

Reaction score
Mostly how well it lets line off the spool, so how it runs and the level of start up inertia. Most serve the purpose pretty well, even the cheaper ones.

Similar to watches in some respect - A digital Casio will tell the time very accurately, but a nice Omega is a thing of beauty.

The build quality of the more expensive pins is generally what people buy into, along with the philosophy that it's nice to have nice things (can't disagree with that!).

Then you've got modern stuff or classic gear (not always good!), or even long waiting list specials! Depends what you want to spend.

The Okuma Sheffield is a lovely pin that costs around £150. I have one and love it. Not too expensive but very nicely made and works perfectly. Ratchet switch is in a bit of a stupid place, but whatever.

There are much cheaper pins and much more expensive pins, and you can probably spend from £30 up to god-knows-what.

Regardless, they seem to be a controversial topic on most forums, bit like fancy watches :D

I like both!

thecrow

Reaction score
The Okuma Sheffield is a lovely pin that costs around £150. I have one and love it. Not too expensive but very nicely made and works perfectly. Ratchet switch is in a bit of a stupid place, but whatever.

That's what I meant by lots of different opinions, £150 is a hell of a lot of money to me for a reel and if I was to ever do the unthinkable and pay it everything would have to be as I wanted it.

I have 2 centrepins a TFG classic which I have only used on still water although I have no doubt about it being suitable for running water, it will start to turn with just the weight of the float hanging off the rod end.

The other I have is a Berwick which is a true pin, I have yet to try it but will be giving it a whirl on Thursday all being well, the only thing I am bothered about is the lack of a line guard (opinions :) ) a couple of sessions should tell me if I need to get one fitted.

On watches.......... I aint got one :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can tell you who makes a good pin, probably the best you'll ever get....Chris Lythe.

puffer_

Reaction score
I can tell you who makes a good pin, probably the best you'll ever get....Chris Lythe.[/QUOTE

Very nice reels and very nice prices I would imagine, what I particularly like is that they all have a line guard listed in the specifications :D

I keep getting told that real men don't need line guards.

I reckon I need one.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I rather suspect that it depends on how much you use them and what you use them for. My preferences are evolving over time. There are perfectly good pins that don't fulfil my preferences. No matter how nice they look, who the maker is, how desirable they may be, or how much they cost, is immaterial. If a reel doesn't meet certain criteria, I won't buy it. My preferences won't necessarily coincide with anyone else's. Half the fun of the fair is trying new stuff, though it can get rather expensive.

This thread demonstrates pretty well that we don't all like the same things.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Superb looking reel, with a price tag to match no doubt, but why the best?
Are there not others out there as good?

Because of the way they function during use and because they're made out of top quality materials to the best possible standard.
It's difficult to explain why they're so good, or why any of the high end pins are so good without sounding as though your up your own backside.

Unless you have a passion for pins and serve your apprenticeship by learning to use one to it's full potential you'll probably not be able to understand the qualities of a bespoke pin.....see what I mean about sounding up ones own crack :eek:mg:.

I would imagine the same goes for many other things where you use an instrument/vehicle etc etc.

I'm not saying you have to use a bespoke reel to have fun and catch fish because you can, and I have ;).

mikench

Reaction score
It would be completely and utterly wasted on me Ian!:) One day though if i live long enough!:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It would be completely and utterly wasted on me Ian!:) One day though if i live long enough!:rolleyes:

Mike, it's like most things, if you want to do it enough you'll master it.
Most people get one, have a dabble, find it awkward and either get shut of it, stick it in a draw or just use it for off the tip fishing etc.
Same sort of thing with other types of angling, fly fishing for example, it's easy once you know how... although i've never liked it enough to go beyond a basic cast because i'm not very interested in the method.
You've got to learn the basics of the method you use and then build your skills from there. You will develop your own little grooves etc and tweak techniques to suite yourself as you get more comfortable in what your doing.
I'm not very good at explaining things so i'll leave it at that ;) .

mikench

Reaction score
You explain it very well Ian and also make casting look easy!:) I will practice and perhaps next time ,without standing in 4' plus of raging torrent , I will perform better!:rolleyes: I exaggerate of course but will get there !

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mike, I'd suggest that, in the short term, you try to find swims that you can fish the pin without the need for wading or casting far. Dropping a float off the rod tip may be scorned by some of the more experienced centrepin users, but it can be effective. Naturally, this will limit your choice of swim somewhat, but it'll give you the opportunity to learn how to use a pin, and catch some fish, without the added pressures of wading in deep water, having to cast further and having to learn how to control a float at range.

nicholaslukey

Reaction score
Because of the way they function during use and because they're made out of top quality materials to the best possible standard.
It's difficult to explain why they're so good, or why any of the high end pins are so good without sounding as though your up your own backside.

Unless you have a passion for pins and serve your apprenticeship by learning to use one to it's full potential you'll probably not be able to understand the qualities of a bespoke pin.....see what I mean about sounding up ones own crack :eek:mg:.

I would imagine the same goes for many other things where you use an instrument/vehicle etc etc.

I'm not saying you have to use a bespoke reel to have fun and catch fish because you can, and I have ;).

Yes i can totally understand that, and thanks for the post.

macko

Reaction score
Superb looking reel, with a price tag to match no doubt, but why the best?
Are there not others out there as good?

Would have to say, imo, probably the best reel out there
is the Barder pin

ATB Macko

sam vimes

Reaction score
Would have to say, imo, probably the best reel out there
is the Barder pin

ATB Macko

That would rather depend on the preference of the individual. No matter how good it might be, it's not for me. I prefer to retrieve "finger through", so the Barder (a rebadged Kingpin iirc) is not my idea of the best. If they contrived to make a reel along similar lines with spokes or finger holes, it might just fit the bill.

xenon

Reaction score

never fails to amaze me how often I hear that sentiment, in all kinds of contexts. My approach, for what it's worth, is to get the best gear you can afford-the notion that doing something difficult is helped by using sub standard gear makes no sense to me.