Where on the wye ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My dad and I are going to think about some barbel fishibg before gets really cold.

Would be traveling from Swindon can anyone recommend a decent section for chub and barbel , around ross on wye or further downstream .

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My dad and I are going to think about some barbel fishibg before gets really cold.

Would be traveling from Swindon can anyone recommend a decent section for chub and barbel , around ross on wye or further downstream .

Thanks

Or if anywhere on the lower Severn above Gloucester are would be ideal as that's even closer but I don't know where decent barbel fishibg starts from ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score

ian g

Reaction score
I heard they had stopped doing day tickets but still a good value ticket , they have some good stretches on the upper Severn

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I heard they had stopped doing day tickets but still a good value ticket , they have some good stretches on the upper Severn
Cheers all , thing is it's a bit of a drive for the upper Severn.

stevejay

Reaction score
Cheers all , thing is it's a bit of a drive for the upper Severn.

Its not too bad mate - I am also in Swindon and a BAA member, although this year have only been up when we stayed for a week in September in Bridgnorth (an annual trip for many years). I have done day trips in the past and its manageable. No even sure that the Wye would be much closer.

Problem is if it is weekends then it will be busy, so best to set off early to get the choice of the best swim. Suppose now its shorter days that might be an easier option, as it wouldn't mean a really early start from Swindon.

Haven't fished the lower or the Avon yet, but hear they are both harder although a better stamp of fish. i prefer to have a realistic chance of a few fish than suffer blanks so the Middle Severn is a better option for me. Still the chance of a double!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Its not too bad mate - I am also in Swindon and a BAA member, although this year have only been up when we stayed for a week in September in Bridgnorth (an annual trip for many years). I have done day trips in the past and its manageable. No even sure that the Wye would be much closer.

Problem is if it is weekends then it will be busy, so best to set off early to get the choice of the best swim. Suppose now its shorter days that might be an easier option, as it wouldn't mean a really early start from Swindon.

Haven't fished the lower or the Avon yet, but hear they are both harder although a better stamp of fish. i prefer to have a realistic chance of a few fish than suffer blanks so the Middle Severn is a better option for me. Still the chance of a double!
I have never barbel fished before so just want to catch them , what areas would you point me towards ?

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Have you checked out the Wye and Usk Foundation? They have a number of stretches you can book. It's expensive (£20+ a day ticket) but you do tend to end up with quite a stretch to yourself. There are also really good catch reports online which can give you a lot of info on which areas of the stretch have produced in the past. As a visiting angler, I've found this a really useful resource. Sure you'll find them on google.

In terms of "below Ross", I've fished Wyatstone Leys, Wyebank, Courtfield, Middle Hill Court and Kerne Bridge and caught barbel from all of them.

Just one note though - how mobile is your old man? I only ask because some of the bank access can be pretty steep sided and not so easy for anyone with any kind of mobility issue. If that's any kind of concern, I'd be inclined to think about courtfield and fish the Legg Meadow area, as it's a relatively easy walk from the parking area and not to much mountain goat action is required. My own favourite swims on that stretch are in the wood section, but at this time of year it's definitely a good idea to take a rope with you to help you get in and out of the swims.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have been talking to Graham and he has advised me to join baa for the price of the ticket .

Also got told to try Hampton loade right near Severn valley railway . Looked on there website and looks good where to start .

He also said to use meat with some in a mesh bag .

So think this seems best idea . Not too far as was up near there last weekend at West Midlands safari park and you can see the railway from the park , 1 hour 20 minutes away so not that bad

stevejay

Reaction score
I have never barbel fished before so just want to catch them , what areas would you point me towards ?

If you join BAA most of the Middle Severn sections are worth a look. I would suggest Eardington Brook or Knowle Sands - have caught almost every time I have fished those sections, although this year we found that if you didn't get a bite within an hour it was worth moving swims.

Have been visiting the area for many years now, and used to fish hemp and casters but these days we mainly stick to pellet as caster is hard work with roach/bleak/dace etc.

PM me if you want a bit more info. Am no expert but have been quite successful these last few years, although still searching for my first double!

associatedmatt

Reaction score
If you join BAA most of the Middle Severn sections are worth a look. I would suggest Eardington Brook or Knowle Sands - have caught almost every time I have fished those sections, although this year we found that if you didn't get a bite within an hour it was worth moving swims.

Have been visiting the area for many years now, and used to fish hemp and casters but these days we mainly stick to pellet as caster is hard work with roach/bleak/dace etc.

PM me if you want a bit more info. Am no expert but have been quite successful these last few years, although still searching for my first double!
Cheers , I will pm you

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Got my BAA ticket through the post so will be going out next weekend . Been to local tackle shop and was advised by Trevor who used to own the shop before got bought out to use big feeders .

So ended up with korum big river feeders there some big feeders for sure ! Got some mixed pellets and some halibut carp/barbel groubdbait .

Do I mix the groubdbait pretty wet to be sticky or to standard fluffy mix to explode ? Would be wise to dampen pellets a bit to stick in ?

Will also be going with meat too

Cheers

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Matt. Not sure of your timings/days but Severn pretty tough for most at moment untill temperature levels for a bit.

Better chance at Bishopswood on the Wye if you not fixed.

You can buy DT at the garage there.

If you do let me know I'll try get there to meet up and advise...pm

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Matt. Not sure of your timings/days but Severn pretty tough for most at moment untill temperature levels for a bit.

Better chance at Bishopswood on the Wye if you not fixed.

You can buy DT at the garage there.

If you do let me know I'll try get there to meet up and advise...pm
Pm coming your way

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Any description on which pegs they are?

First 4-5 are all OK but a little steep and confined, I like 3. There are about three meadows to choose from if you don't mind a walk, it's pretty level and I believe someone who posts here caught some extremely good roach from the pegs upstream. I'd take some pellets (8-12 mm), be aware the banks are steep(ish) but not as bad as the Wye and can get slippy, a rope may help, there's plenty of trees to tie to. River may be a little low and the temperature is unlikely to get much above 12 degrees over the weekend

Tight lines