Anglers prebaiting?

Reaction score
I found out recently that a stretch of river I fish with a fairly small population of barbel has been targeted by two guys sponsored by a local bait company,these fellas have been turning up and regularly feeding two kilos of a prototype boilie along the stretch,I have concerns to the benefits of this for the fish and the fishing as it seems rarer to find feeding fish these days.

Philip

Reaction score
2kilos ? My initial reaction was is that all !

You want to see were I fish ...20kg a day is not unheard of.

I dont see anything wrong with anglers prebaiting. If they are willing to put in the effort to do it why not. If they are sponsored then 2kg per day actually sounds quite reasonable.

benny samways

Reaction score
Has this had any negative impact on the barbel fishing?

Busy stretches have the annoying tendency to hold the most fish, I wonder if the regular bait going in keeps the fish there?

I have found that quieter stretches benefit from regular and quite heavy baiting. 20 baits for every barbel you think is present.

steve2

Reaction score
2kg is no more than most anglers would use in a days fishing it's most probably a lot less.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to pre-baiting then I think a lot depends on different factors:

1. the size of the river
2. the population, if known, of the target species
3. the number of anglers regularly fishing there
4. the amount of bait being used.

It is also beneficial, to all concerned, to check regularly to see how much of the bait is actually being consumed and how much is still laying there . . . . .

There is no one answer fits all solution, obviously, but you have to hope that common sense and experience comes to the forefront . . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I found out recently that a stretch of river I fish with a fairly small population of barbel has been targeted by two guys sponsored by a local bait company,these fellas have been turning up and regularly feeding two kilos of a prototype boilie along the stretch,I have concerns to the benefits of this for the fish and the fishing as it seems rarer to find feeding fish these days.

I think i'd be tempted to fish in the pr baited spot before they do ;).

Philip

Reaction score
I think i'd be tempted to fish in the pr baited spot before they do ;).

One of the reasons I go to a great deal of trouble not to be detected when I bait up - and even then I still get sussed from time to time.

Its annoying but thats life.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the reasons I go to a great deal of trouble not to be detected when I bait up - and even then I still get sussed from time to time.

Its annoying but thats life.

Pre baiting is something i've never done, i'd prefer to go hunt the fish down ;).

steve2

Reaction score
Before the close season was dropped I spent weeks preparing swims for Tench.
Then camped out to make sure we got the swim.
My club as a no prebaiting rule which I have bent many times they even say that dropping a few baits in swims is prebaiting.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I really can't see a problem. 2Kg every few days into a swim or two might be more of an issue. Over a full stretch of river, provided we aren't talking 50 yards, it's not a great deal.

Reaction score
Sorry,I'd forgotten I'd started this thread before being away a week,the stretch in question is fairly short,with a low population of barbel,some chub and bream,from this time of year on I believe feeding needs to be frugal,thus prebaiting 2 kilos seems heavy,as you don't know what a person actually fishing puts in,especially when most boilies are full of protein and filling,summertime is different,as for the amount of anglers fishing the water,that is difficult to gauge as I'm not there at night and this is when these guys are fishing it,when I've read Tony Miles's articles he believed in feeding four to six 18mm boilies into three or four swims and rotating them until he caught,this is at night on the Gt.Ouse and that's why two kilos seems a fair bit,but...

B

binka

Before the close season was dropped I spent weeks preparing swims for Tench.
Then camped out to make sure we got the swim.
My club as a no prebaiting rule which I have bent many times they even say that dropping a few baits in swims is prebaiting.

What did you catch come the big day?

benny samways

Reaction score
Sorry,I'd forgotten I'd started this thread before being away a week,the stretch in question is fairly short,with a low population of barbel,some chub and bream,from this time of year on I believe feeding needs to be frugal,thus prebaiting 2 kilos seems heavy,as you don't know what a person actually fishing puts in,especially when most boilies are full of protein and filling,summertime is different,as for the amount of anglers fishing the water,that is difficult to gauge as I'm not there at night and this is when these guys are fishing it,when I've read Tony Miles's articles he believed in feeding four to six 18mm boilies into three or four swims and rotating them until he caught,this is at night on the Gt.Ouse and that's why two kilos seems a fair bit,but...

Tony baited like that on the days he was fishing, much more bait would have been introduced when he left the fishery. He even wrote about how him and a mate once stitched up a fishery by pre-baiting, the fish only wanted the bait.

2kgs dumped in one swim is probably a bit overkill.

thecrow

Reaction score
Breakdown time of the bait being introduced can make a difference to getting fish onto a bait, the bait being introduced might be having no effect at all if its breaking down before the Barbel find the bait.

steve2

Reaction score
The best catches we had on open day after prebaiting was around 150lbs of tench also 100lb plus bags of bream.These were on estate lakes. This was back in the days when 5lb tench were still consider big fish and in my eyes still are.

Reaction score
Prebaiting for tench and bream can be a totally different ballgame Steve,fishing on a relatively small river,with a small population of your target species creates its own problems imv.

steve2

Reaction score
Not really different, the idea of prebaiting is to attract fish into the area you are fishing. We all do it every time we go fishing.

Reaction score
If you pre-bait with particles,maggots or ground bait that's fine,boilies are very different I'm afraid and if fed in excess fishes feeding times may be cut drastically,excessive baiting is a problem within angling,especially if its pellet or boilies.