Leads or feeders ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As I'm a barbel novice and going to have a few trips on the Severn before end of the year I'm unsure where to take leads or feeders or both as I see lead approach you can hook pva bag with meat or pellets in .

Don't want to take loads of kit with me due to travel light to carry it all easily . Before you know it with leads upto 4oz and same with feeders your carrying a fair bit of extra weight .

Any advice on this As I see pva bags similar to feeders except you can put out more bait.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I usually use leads myself. I don't usually bother with ground bait either and catapult heavy pellets into my chosen area then just fish over the top with my own pellet/bait. Halibut pellets give off plenty scent as they are without messing about with all kinds of bits.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I usually use leads myself. I don't usually bother with ground bait either and catapult heavy pellets into my chosen area then just fish over the top with my own pellet/bait. Halibut pellets give off plenty scent as they are without messing about with all kinds of bits.
Thanks , I have got a mix of pellets 6 and 8mm in hinders little gemz and some large elips. But have got 8 and 14 for on the hair and take a few tins of meat .

To be honest I don't use groubdbait much only when when using a cage feeder for tench .

When using meat what sort of size lump of meat ? 2 " cube ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks , I have got a mix of pellets 6 and 8mm in hinders little gemz and some large elips. But have got 8 and 14 for on the hair and take a few tins of meat .

To be honest I don't use groubdbait much only when when using a cage feeder for tench .

When using meat what sort of size lump of meat ? 2 " cube ?

I don't use such large pieces of meat. I don't know why people keep on saying barbel have massive mouths as they haven't! I'd say for their size they are smaller than a lot of other species. If using meat the average sized piece i'd use would be an inch or so and half as thick.

john step

Reaction score
I have found the PVA stocking more convenient than bags for barbel. You can leave a tag, cut it down the centre to make two tabs and then tie it to the ring of a watch lead.
I have a bag of groundbait next to me to dry the lead off in when using PVA stocking.
Thats quite heavy which is probably why I have taken a bit of stick on here for the robust tackle I sometimes use:D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have found the PVA stocking more convenient than bags for barbel. You can leave a tag, cut it down the centre to make two tabs and then tie it to the ring of a watch lead.
I have a bag of groundbait next to me to dry the lead off in when using PVA stocking.
Thats quite heavy which is probably why I have taken a bit of stick on here for the robust tackle I sometimes use:D
Sorry , I should of explained better when say pva bags I did mean pva mesh . Not the solid bags . Tried to use solid bags but I prefer the stocking types and with hook bag on or thread down the hooklink

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I don't use such large pieces of meat. I don't know why people keep on saying barbel have massive mouths as they haven't! I'd say for their size they are smaller than a lot of other species. If using meat the average sized piece i'd use would be an inch or so and half as thick.
So an Oxo cube sort of size ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So an Oxo cube sort of size ?

Yeah, about that, maybe a little bigger.
Imo there's no point in making fish struggle to get a bait into their mouths which risks them leaving it because they've been pricked with the hook etc, something that fits into their mouths without too much of a struggle or better still is just sucked straight in is a far better option....jmo of course.

Graham....you must have plenty coin to splash about if you'd use half a tin of meat in one go :eek:.
Half a tin would be more suited to catfish fishing surely.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Yeah, about that, maybe a little bigger.
Imo there's no point in making fish struggle to get a bait into their mouths which risks them leaving it because they've been pricked with the hook etc, something that fits into their mouths without too much of a struggle or better still is just sucked straight in is a far better option....jmo of course.

Graham....you must have plenty coin to splash about if you'd use half a tin of meat in one go :eek:.
Half a tin would be more suited to catfish fishing surely.
Surly that be a while tin for a catfish or a 6lb carp !

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I reckon the carp would be the better option ;) :wh.
Or a pigeon !

Getting back , after a cast with a mesh bag on how long would you leave for re casts ? About an hour ?

thecrow

Reaction score
.you must have plenty coin to splash about if you'd use half a tin of meat in one go .
Half a tin would be more suited to catfish fishing surely

One of the anglers that I know uses baits of that size is very well known and catches plenty of very good fish on it, lots of them on a pin as well :)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Or a pigeon !

Getting back , after a cast with a mesh bag on how long would you leave for re casts ? About an hour ?

I don't like leaving my bait in for long before winding in and casting out again. Ten to 15 min's on average i'd say.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One of the anglers that I know uses baits of that size is very well known and catches plenty of very good fish on it, lots of them on a pin as well :)

Prolly catch more with a smaller piece on, and he'd save a wallet of coin n'all.....for his sausages ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I don't like leaving my bait in for long before winding in and casting out again. Ten to 15 min's on average i'd say.
Cheers , I see people use hooklings around a foot or 2 and more she would I use a shorter hooklink to a long one ? Different river conditions ?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Cheers , I see people use hooklings around a foot or 2 and more she would I use a shorter hooklink to a long one ? Different river conditions ?

As you say the conditions dictate the length of hooklink. For the biggest part i'd say I use about a foot. If I use a method then it's a few inches long.
Actually I forgot to mention using the method feeder and it is a great method for barbel. I use brown cumb as a binder and add corn, maggots and pellets etc. I make it very sticky and squeeze it hard onto the feeder, so hard that it's often left on the method when I wind in ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As you say the conditions dictate the length of hooklink. For the biggest part i'd say I use about a foot. If I use a method then it's a few inches long.
Actually I forgot to mention using the method feeder and it is a great method for barbel. I use brown cumb as a binder and add corn, maggots and pellets etc. I make it very sticky and squeeze it hard onto the feeder, so hard that it's often left on the method when I wind in ;).
That's interesting idea as would have to be very sticky not to wash off downstream

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
The power of the flow needs to be considered. At the moment, the Wye where I live is up to its banks and powering through. Anyone trying to use a feeder or a PVA bag in the fast water will just have it washed straight downstream. Putting groundbait in is a futile exercise - again, a washout straight away. The only purpose for it at the moment is to use as a vehicle to introduce heavy pellets, which are the only freebies with a chance of staying in the swim. Golfball sized balls rather than orange sized.
So I use a straight lead with a big bow in the line to fish the fast water in flood conditions. I might introduce free samples via ground bait balls and might not... Fish the slacks and the feeder or pva works fine.
I had two barbel in a 2 hour session this afternoon fishing just hookbaits.