North Western

hague01

Reaction score
Hi Guys.
Only come back to fishing after 50 years a few years ago on retirement. The North Western name is only known through looking at reminisces but I have acquired a new one. I should explain I have a friend with a tackle shop and collected 11 rods, all old stock but new.I plan to put the others on Ebay for him but the pick of the bunch is a brand new 3 pce Kevlite barbel 1 /14. It has 16 rings and is complete with bag. Anyone fancy it or at least can tell me what its possibly worth.I live in Essex where the barbel are scarce and I have 5 barbel rods already. Dont ask!
Anyway I think its too nice to use maybe and could be a collectors item. It has the N/W label with a price ticket marked £161.50. I recon its about 20 years old but any info I will be most grateful for.I have tried uploading a photo but don't think its worked.Alec

Attachments

• North western 1.jpg
    North western 1.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 510

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They're nice rods, i've had a few NW kevlites over the years. In fact I had their flagship dyneemas also. A m8 of mine still has some NW rods and two of them are brand new tench rods. The two new ones he has are 1 1/4 test but two piece. Appart from being two piece I think the tench rod blanks are exactly the same as your barbel rod.
The value can fluctuate dramatically, one week it might go for 40 or 50 notes and the following week it could go for 200!....It really depends on who's looking at the time.

hague01

Reaction score
Much appreciate the advice Tigger. Its really a lovely rod. Just listed it on ebay together with other other 10 I got. They are all run of the mill I think, no gems as far as I can see but I am tempted by this rod to keep but think its not for use but display now but that's just me. best wishes and appreciate your help.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Much appreciate the advice Tigger. Its really a lovely rod. Just listed it on ebay together with other other 10 I got. They are all run of the mill I think, no gems as far as I can see but I am tempted by this rod to keep but think its not for use but display now but that's just me. best wishes and appreciate your help.

Good luck with your sale, you never know if two or more want it you might do better than expected!

hague01

Reaction score
Just would like you to know Tigger, that what I say in the adds is all true. Last summer my pal with the shop handed over 3 drennans, all tench , all new in the triangular tubes. Amazed they fetched over 500.( so was he!)I went in on wed and said i was bored out of my skull. I am retired and my hobbies are fishing and gardening. He went and fetched the 11 and said "sort those out". Kept me busy for a day and a half so far. My club has its annual auction meeting monday week, the 5th ,so what doesn't sell i can always take down there.No chance there with the N/W but the others may get some coppers as a last resort. They are not mine and in truth are dead money to my pal so whatever they get he is in front.A bit of fun for me!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wish i'd known about the tench rods!

If your m8 finds any more gems give me the nod :cool:

hague01

Reaction score
I put the tench on ebay and got knocked over by the response. Could have sold them many times over.I would have kept them as they were without doubt the best made and looking rods I have ever seen.The finish was spectacular.I have hardy's and tournament pros and had free spirits but poor in appearance by comparison, but 2 were the 12.9 which were very long for the car being 2 piece. Amazed now the Fox pike I have now listed is getting all the watchers. Never have guessed it!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I put the tench on ebay and got knocked over by the response. Could have sold them many times over.I would have kept them as they were without doubt the best made and looking rods I have ever seen.The finish was spectacular.I have hardy's and tournament pros and had free spirits but poor in appearance by comparison, but 2 were the 12.9 which were very long for the car being 2 piece. Amazed now the Fox pike I have now listed is getting all the watchers. Never have guessed it!

I think i've owned pretty much all the drennan tench float rods bar the original and the latest green version, oh and the series 7, don't like them anyhow. Out of them all the super tench was my favourite so I kept that one :).

hague01

Reaction score
Hi Tigger.
Just posted some rods on .Don't know if any are of interest to you but let me know if they are and you will be 1st. regards Alec

Rich P

Reaction score
It's a nice looking rod, Hague. A through action, Avon-style? I have a NW Sealey 2lb specimen that I had refurbished a couple of years ago. Nice a soft and great with a 'pin.