Spopper

ben10

Reaction score
Saw this in Angler’s mail I think it was last week and looks a good idea. Anyone seen one in the flesh or thinking of getting 1?

Do you think you’d need an out and out spod rod and reel for it? Being that it’s designed to be used on rivers which are substantially narrower than carp lakes so the casts won’t be as big, then would you need such heavy gear? It all adds to the weight to be carried to the swim so if you could get away with a lighter, lower tc. Rod and a smaller reel then that must be a bonus?

Do think I may have to invest if they are found to be good!

Reaction score
Never heard of one,would it be possible for someone to get a link,I've used mini-spods on rivers,which can be put in relatively quietly and very accurately.

ben10

Reaction score
I like the idea that it doesn't deploy until it hits the bottom of the river. Basically a castable bait dropper meaning you can hit swims that are more than an underarm swing away.

flightliner

Reaction score
I, developed one about twenty five years ago--- an even better ont than the spopper as I can release my freebies at any depth I choose and be useful to both specie boys and match/pleasure anglers especially on commercials.
I asked a couple of tackle manufacturers if they would be interested but sadly they wer'nt (their loss).
I used it with great success on the Trent in the mid nineties but always when I was the only angler around (virtually none in those days) but as soon as the river became popular in the late nineties early noughties I stopped using it, Today it sits in my garage gathering dust.
I cant help smiling at the £22 cost of the Spopper as anyone with an empty silicon tube and a few other odds and sods can make one for £zip!!!

Philip

Reaction score
Aero dynamic bait dropper.

I love the way the same things are just re-invented over and over again.

Next version will have holes in it and they will say you can attach your hooklink an use it to deploy feed next to your hookbait, they will call it a Fweeder :eek:mg:

flightliner

Reaction score
Aero dynamic bait dropper.

I love the way the same things are just re-invented over and over again.

Next version will have holes in it and they will say you can attach your hooklink an use it to deploy feed next to your hookbait, they will call it a Fweeder :eek:mg:
I call mine a poundstrecher-- it gets me to the Trent and back about three or four times!

thecrow

Reaction score
I believe they were designed and are made by Christophe Pelhate, I had the chance to examine one when it was sent to me by mistake, they are very well made but I would think depending on the size chosen a rod that could cast one rather than relying on a 1.75 Barbel rod would be needed.

ben10

Reaction score
I believe they were designed and are made by Christophe Pelhate, I had the chance to examine one when it was sent to me by mistake, they are very well made but I would think depending on the size chosen a rod that could cast one rather than relying on a 1.75 Barbel rod would be needed.

Good to know. I may wait until it's more commercially available and see what sort of reception it gets as baiting up in a decent flow has always been a balancing act between weight of feeder and feeder capacity so that you can still cast it!

Philip

Reaction score
Something to be wary of ...using that on a deep flowing river as they suggest in the blurb may not be the best idea. There is so much surface area to it thats its going to be pushed a lot further downstream as it sinks than your feeder or lead so I think its going to be very hit or miss whether your fishing over your baited area after.

Better suited to long distance precise baiting on still waters I recon.

thecrow

Reaction score
Something to be wary of ...using that on a deep flowing river as they suggest in the blurb may not be the best idea. There is so much surface area to it thats its going to be pushed a lot further downstream as it sinks than your feeder or lead so I think its going to be very hit or miss whether your fishing over your baited area after.

Better suited to long distance precise baiting on still waters I recon.

They are quite heavily weighted Phillip, certainly over 5ozs if the one I saw was anything to go by, no idea what they would weigh when full, possibly 8 to 10ozs

Philip

Reaction score
You may well be right Graham, I have not seen one so if they have packed it with enough lead that would help. I imagine its going to need a pretty stout rod to lob it !!

seth49

Reaction score
The link I posted yesterday from the AT website recommends a spod rod and heavy braid to cast it out.

lutra

Reaction score
I wouldn't cast anything that cost £22 in may local river. Its a snag pit.

An over sized feeder made out of a bit of waste pip and roofing lead or PVA mesh does it for me.