Passing on a real find.

dicky123

Reaction score
Guy's the other day someone told me about a little edge he had found, honest i think it's a diamond and have never seen it before (bet someone tells me otherwise however)

It's using heavy tungsten tubing (like the carp boys use to sink their hook links) as shot when trotting or even laying on I'd guess. The tubing is not lead core, but tungsten based. I tried it on a 4 bb float and you need about 6'' to sink it. It can butt up against the hook link swivel and saves the need for any shot on the line. Clearly it's a one only bulk shotting method like when you shot an Avon float.

You just thread it trough the tubing and hay ho it's done. No messing about with tiny shot on the line. You could have several lengths cut ready to change floats.

What do you think?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ll try anything to avoid shot, seems an option to my use of Olivettes.

mikench

Reaction score
Believe it or not but I have some!!! I no longer suffer unduly from "kid in a sweetshop" syndrome and have more(relative) control over what I want and what I might need! I have never used it but will give it a try. Funnily enough it's in my tackle box for trotting hence why it hasn't been used!:wh

kevt

Reaction score
Hi Lads

I use a length of galvanised nail for trotting with big floats in the winter, I fine tune them at home and use rubber bands top / middle / bottom. If I snag up then I usually get my float back. The nail can be painted black if worried about flash, but I've never bothered.

KevT

laguna

Reaction score
Its been around for a while (Gardner, ESP etc) but I've never used it because I imagine you will need quite a long bit to hold bottom on a river?
On still water, with some undertow it might be okay but I tend to float fish more than ledger.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Each to their own, there's never a wrong way. One or two locals I know use rivets and nuts & bolts as bulk "shot". I have used small lengths of tungsten tubing but if the "shotting" is that fine I'm usually a tinkerer and move normal shotting around throughout the session. If it's a bulk shot day then the olivettes come out.

As for the "dark side", I have a bivvy session this weekend and hopefully these dainty things will see some action :eek:mg:

IMG_7185.jpg

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Each to their own, there's never a wrong way. One or two locals I know use rivets and nuts & bolts as bulk "shot". I have used small lengths of tungsten tubing but if the "shotting" is that fine I'm usually a tinkerer and move normal shotting around throughout the session. If it's a bulk shot day then the olivettes come out.

As for the "dark side", I have a bivvy session this weekend and hopefully these dainty things will see some action :eek:mg:

View attachment 4449
Bivvy on a beach session ??? :wh