RACG Advice for Low Dissolved Oxygen Levels

B

binka

This obviously applies to more species than Barbel but being as they are so susceptible to low dissolved oxygen levels I thought I should post this here...

thecrow

Reaction score
Good information, unfortunately some anglers are intent on fishing for Barbel in low DO conditions thinking they have swam off strongly, they can easily go belly up out of sight of the angler, what happens to a fish that is caught twice in a short space of time what chance has that fish of recovery?

flightliner

Reaction score
Good advice is simply not to fish for Barbel.
It was my first time on the Tidal Trent yesterday fishing for roach where during the day I saw two nice Barbel floating downstream belly up.
How many more will die before the penny drops?

lambert1

Reaction score
These are extraordinary conditions and normal summer activities have to be reviewed. It looks like we are literally sitting on a tinder box and the state of the lawns and gardens is more akin to much (normally) warmer climbs. I do not intend to go back to the rivers until we have had a really good spell of rain. I am so looking forward to some wetter cooler weather. Still the Ice Cream van that we get is doing a roaring trade!

theartist

Reaction score
Barbel recover differently in different rivers even different stretches, on the upper Lea it is almost impossible to rest them as they kick off strong every time whereas much further down the river they need much more recovery, that's the trouble with D.O. and overall water quality in that you just can't tell by looking at the water before you fish.

Use common sense whatever you are fishing for, think can I return a fish safe, preferably getting in the water with it, is the water too stagnant in the margins where I am for it to recover, or too fast, sometimes well oxygenated water can be bombing through and no place for returning fish.

I had a few of Barbel on the Severn last week whilst after roach, often you can't avoid them and because of this my gear was a compromise, much too heavy for roach just in case, bottom line is I took way longer than necessary to rest them in the net in the water, before and after and unhooking in the water if possible, folk on the other bank were probably wondering what I was doing but I didn't care, take as long as possible to rest any fish, you're down there long enough after all. :thumbs:

thecrow

Reaction score
This was posted by Phil Smith on FB, say's a lot about the selfishness of some anglers.

Report from the lower Trent yesterday gave water temp of 23C and dead barbel drifting past - Please consider if your moment of pleasure is worth a barbel's life.