transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
been fishing the river trent this season first in a long time , had to move away from my normal venue because of the demise of the barbel due to transgender problem, (not mine I might add before you start)

this season I have been amazed by the numbers of small barbel that I have seen , and its all down to an amazing relationship between the fishing club that controls these waters and a major fish farm . this in my opinion is the way forward regarding this problem in some of our rivers , its a pity that other clubs don't do the same ,

if you want to know more about this problem just type into google

transgender fish in our rivers

thecrow

Reaction score
Its just another problem that our rivers face, knowing the river you did fish and how quickly it has declined imo it was always on the edge and it took very little in the way of predators to tip it over the edge

Interestingly there are still Barbel in parts of the river that are more urban whether they are decreasing I don't know as I haven't been on the controlling clubs site for a long time.

O

O.C.F.Disorder

Doesnt putting farmed fish into a river muddy the gene pool?

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Doesnt putting farmed fish into a river muddy the gene pool?
no this is how they work it , brood fish , male and female fish of most types are netted and taken to the fish farm , there they are spawned , then the brood fish are marked , and returned back to where they were caught ,
if a club need barbel to re stock their rivers this is where they come from ,

The bad one

Reaction score
been fishing the river trent this season first in a long time , had to move away from my normal venue because of the demise of the barbel due to transgender problem, (not mine I might add before you start)

this season I have been amazed by the numbers of small barbel that I have seen , and its all down to an amazing relationship between the fishing club that controls these waters and a major fish farm . this in my opinion is the way forward regarding this problem in some of our rivers , its a pity that other clubs don't do the same ,

if you want to know more about this problem just type into google

transgender fish in our rivers
No.......the Trent isn't bucking the Trend. Intersexing (correct term) was first studied and discovered on the Trent by Prof Sumper and his team from Brunel Uni back in the early 1990s. Others since have looked at many other rivers and found the same and/or worse situations. As has been said, it Chemicals in the river water causing the problem and the name of the problem chemicals are collectively know as Endocrine Disruptors of which are up around 300 know ones. There may be many more coming from a plethora of point sources.

Stocking masks the problem and in no way corrects it. That can only happen if we stop them entering the river system in the first place. And most of us will be a longtime dead when that happens!

Sorry Stocking is perpetuating a "Put and Take System," We put them in at our cost and the chemicals take them out by making them infertile, so the perpetuation has to continue.

Last edited:
O

O.C.F.Disorder

Once we were at the mercy of nature, then we rose up.. We found new ways to play god and tame the earth. Now we have altered the land, water and the air with our poisoning, pillaging and putrefaction.. Forcing us to either betray our human nature and amend our wicked ways or to invent new, clever ways in which to play god (which lets face it rarely does anything more than mask the problem/become damage control/make stuff a whole lot worse). Lets face it most of us wouldn't give a rats sphincter about chemicals going into the rivers if we weren't interested in fishing.. It would be a story we might stumble across in the paper and we would forget about it by the time we got to the sports section. We are just a doomed little species.

thecrow

Reaction score
Lets face it most of us wouldn't give a rats sphincter about chemicals going into the rivers if we weren't interested in fishing

Perhaps if the none angling public were aware of what is allowed to go onto our rivers and what remains in the water they drink more would care, unfortunately most are not aware and view a clear river as being clean, its the unseen that is doing the damage.

Water is a finite recourse and I can't help but think that these chemicals will continue to increase in our water, I don't know if any studies have been done on the effects of them being in our water but I wouldn't imagine that they are beneficial to our health.

There are methods of removing these EDs but that would mean a huge investment by water companies and as profits are everything I don't see that happening any time soon.

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
No.......the Trent isn't bucking the Trend. Intersexing (correct term) was first studied and discovered on the Trent by Prof Sumper and his team from Brunel Uni back in the early 1990s. Others since have looked at many other rivers and found the same and/or worse situations. As has been said, it Chemicals in the river water causing the problem and the name of the problem chemicals are collectively know as Endocrine Disruptors of which are up around 300 know ones. There may be many more coming from a plethora of point sources.

Stocking masks the problem and in no way corrects it. That can only happen if we stop them entering the river system in the first place. And most of us will be a longtime dead when that happens!

Sorry Stocking is perpetuating a "Put and Take System," We put them in at our cost and the chemicals take them out by making them infertile, so the perpetuation has to continue.

yep , that's how it is but at least when the river gets re\ stocked at least we have the lifespan of a barbel to fish for them , just got to get to them before the chemicals do , to spawn them . if a barbel lives 15 years that will do for me,,

The bad one

Reaction score
What a very sad attitude you have to the sustainability of the river habitat and the lifeforms that live in it. :mad::mad:

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What a very sad attitude you have to the sustainability of the river habitat and the lifeforms that live in it. :mad::mad:

so what would you do then leave the rivers to the mercy of this chemical pollution and have the barbel and chub wiped out completely which is exactly what is happening , rivers without barbel and chub , wow that sounds great ,
as to the sustainability of the rivers I care very much about this and everything that lives in them, (oh and by the way you have totaly misunderstood my thoughts on this matter , but never mind it all ads to the debate )

The bad one

Reaction score
so what would you do then leave the rivers to the mercy of this chemical pollution and have the barbel and chub wiped out completely which is exactly what is happening , rivers without barbel and chub , wow that sounds great ,
as to the sustainability of the rivers I care very much about this and everything that lives in them, (oh and by the way you have totaly misunderstood my thoughts on this matter , but never mind it all ads to the debate )

I will continue to do what I’ve done for the last 20 years and that’s researching them, talking to anybody and everybody that will listen or can add authoritative information to solving the problem. Campaigning for the removal of such chemicals, and they can be removed (at a cost) by charcoal filtering of all waters entering the river systems from sewage plants.
Continue to keep a watching brief for new research in
to the subject and innovations that can bring about the eradication of them.
Raising awareness within the Angling community about the problems they are causing by writing articles and posts, many of which appear on here, to hopefully spur them into some sort of action to bring our rivers back to a fully sustainable state.
That’s what I have done and will continue to do, what are you doing? And if I’ve totally misunderstood your “thoughts” on this matter, I suggest you make them much clearer rather than make statements like this transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

If however, it was a question you were asking then it needs to end in a ? So the reader is left in no doubts or misunderstandings as to what you are writing. Notwithstanding whether it was a statement or a question the answer is the same “No the Trent is not bucking the trend.” Constant stocking is not solving the problem of inter sexing, its masking, hiding it and letting the powers that be off the hook of taking any action to solve it!

Last edited:

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I will continue to do what I’ve done for the last 20 years and that’s researching them, talking to anybody and everybody that will listen or can add authoritative information to solving the problem. Campaigning for the removal of such chemicals, and they can be removed (at a cost) by charcoal filtering of all waters entering the river systems from sewage plants.
Continue to keep a watching brief for new research in
to the subject and innovations that can bring about the eradication of them.
Raising awareness within the Angling community about the problems they are causing by writing articles and posts, many of which appear on here, to hopefully spur them into some sort of action to bring our rivers back to a fully sustainable state.
That’s what I have done and will continue to do, what are you doing? And if I’ve totally misunderstood your “thoughts” on this matter, I suggest you make them much clearer rather than make statements like this transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

If however, it was a question you were asking then it needs to end in a ? So the reader is left in no doubts or misunderstandings as to what you are writing. Notwithstanding whether it was a statement or a question the answer is the same “No the Trent is not bucking the trend.” Constant stocking is not solving the problem of inter sexing, its masking, hiding it and letting the powers that be off the hook of taking any action to solve it!

good god this man is amazing , all credit to you you are doing a fine job there , keep up the good work

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
good god this man is amazing , all credit to you you are doing a fine job there , keep up the good work

sorry cant wait any longer, for the senile old fool to reply , what it boils down to is this
this fool just likes to split hairs , transgender , intersexing , same thing , question mark or not ???? , does it matter , really what I think is that the bad one, isn't as intelligent as what he would like us to think , after all both he and i are fighting for the same cause , the pollution of our rivers , and he cant see this , what a muppet ,, oh and by the way interesting blogs pal , very interesting reading the work of a genius ,( oh there I go again pacifying the fool ) all the best ,( you muppet )

lets hope more clubs realise the only way forward is to re stock the rivers with barbel and chub , until this problem is sorted out ,

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
And what this cock can't grasp is that if we keep paying to stock the rivers the powers that be will NEVER sort the problem out EVER!

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think you have just proved what an idiot you are ,like I have said before a senile old fool! no matter what is said about the re/stocking of our rivers it will fall on deaf ears and will not register in your simple mind ,HOW long do you think people , clubs, have been putting barbel etc into the rivers and still are ,,, and will continue to do so eh ???

and now its even more important to do just that , (read this last bit very carefully ) until this problem is sorted out
(DID THAT BIT SINK IN )

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

just watched on you tube (the re stocking of our rivers with barbel ) the ea and Calverton doing a great job , at least there will be some barbel to fish for , , for a good few years ,

until they sort the problems out that is !!!!!!!! at least it beats no barbel or chub in the river at all and having to wait twenty years or so for it to sort itself out

oh forgot to say the river ribble is on there as well about it getting stocked back in the 70s

cant stand hypocrites can you bad one ??????????????

Last edited:
N

Neil Smart

Mainstream you really should not resort to using such belittling comments, especially when a member constructs a very reasonable and intelligent reply. He obviously has given great thought to the problem and deserves respect. You on the other hand...

mainstream

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Moderated . . . . please read the T's & Cs
Particularly the section regarding ‘not posting insults’

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Neil Smart

You really are a bit thick, never mind carry on...keep digging.