Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

been fishing the river trent this season first in a long time , had to move away from my normal venue because of the demise of the barbel due to transgender problem, (not mine I might add before you start)

this season I have been amazed by the numbers of small barbel that I have seen , and its all down to an amazing relationship between the fishing club that controls these waters and a major fish farm . this in my opinion is the way forward regarding this problem in some of our rivers , its a pity that other clubs don't do the same ,

if you want to know more about this problem just type into google

transgender fish in our rivers

Blog Entries

Default Re: transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

Its just another problem that our rivers face, knowing the river you did fish and how quickly it has declined imo it was always on the edge and it took very little in the way of predators to tip it over the edge

Interestingly there are still Barbel in parts of the river that are more urban whether they are decreasing I don't know as I haven't been on the controlling clubs site for a long time.
    •The crow may be caged, but its thoughts are in the cornfield

O.C.F.Disorder Guest

Default Re: transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

Doesnt putting farmed fish into a river muddy the gene pool?

Blog Entries

Nothing to do with the gene pool more to do with the chemicals being allowed into our rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.F.Disorder View Post
    Doesnt putting farmed fish into a river muddy the gene pool?
    no this is how they work it , brood fish , male and female fish of most types are netted and taken to the fish farm , there they are spawned , then the brood fish are marked , and returned back to where they were caught ,
    if a club need barbel to re stock their rivers this is where they come from ,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mainstream View Post
    been fishing the river trent this season first in a long time , had to move away from my normal venue because of the demise of the barbel due to transgender problem, (not mine I might add before you start)

this season I have been amazed by the numbers of small barbel that I have seen , and its all down to an amazing relationship between the fishing club that controls these waters and a major fish farm . this in my opinion is the way forward regarding this problem in some of our rivers , its a pity that other clubs don't do the same ,

if you want to know more about this problem just type into google

transgender fish in our rivers
    No.......the Trent isn't bucking the Trend. Intersexing (correct term) was first studied and discovered on the Trent by Prof Sumper and his team from Brunel Uni back in the early 1990s. Others since have looked at many other rivers and found the same and/or worse situations. As has been said, it Chemicals in the river water causing the problem and the name of the problem chemicals are collectively know as Endocrine Disruptors of which are up around 300 know ones. There may be many more coming from a plethora of point sources.

Stocking masks the problem and in no way corrects it. That can only happen if we stop them entering the river system in the first place. And most of us will be a longtime dead when that happens!

Sorry Stocking is perpetuating a "Put and Take System," We put them in at our cost and the chemicals take them out by making them infertile, so the perpetuation has to continue.

Last edited by The bad one; 21-10-2018 at 22:25.

O.C.F.Disorder Guest

Thumbs down Re: transgender fish in our rivers ( is the river trent bucking the trend )

Once we were at the mercy of nature, then we rose up.. We found new ways to play god and tame the earth. Now we have altered the land, water and the air with our poisoning, pillaging and putrefaction.. Forcing us to either betray our human nature and amend our wicked ways or to invent new, clever ways in which to play god (which lets face it rarely does anything more than mask the problem/become damage control/make stuff a whole lot worse). Lets face it most of us wouldn't give a rats sphincter about chemicals going into the rivers if we weren't interested in fishing.. It would be a story we might stumble across in the paper and we would forget about it by the time we got to the sports section. We are just a doomed little species.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.F.Disorder View Post
    Lets face it most of us wouldn't give a rats sphincter about chemicals going into the rivers if we weren't interested in fishing
    Perhaps if the none angling public were aware of what is allowed to go onto our rivers and what remains in the water they drink more would care, unfortunately most are not aware and view a clear river as being clean, its the unseen that is doing the damage.

Water is a finite recourse and I can't help but think that these chemicals will continue to increase in our water, I don't know if any studies have been done on the effects of them being in our water but I wouldn't imagine that they are beneficial to our health.

There are methods of removing these EDs but that would mean a huge investment by water companies and as profits are everything I don't see that happening any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    No.......the Trent isn't bucking the Trend. Intersexing (correct term) was first studied and discovered on the Trent by Prof Sumper and his team from Brunel Uni back in the early 1990s. Others since have looked at many other rivers and found the same and/or worse situations. As has been said, it Chemicals in the river water causing the problem and the name of the problem chemicals are collectively know as Endocrine Disruptors of which are up around 300 know ones. There may be many more coming from a plethora of point sources.

Stocking masks the problem and in no way corrects it. That can only happen if we stop them entering the river system in the first place. And most of us will be a longtime dead when that happens!

Sorry Stocking is perpetuating a "Put and Take System," We put them in at our cost and the chemicals take them out by making them infertile, so the perpetuation has to continue.

yep , that's how it is but at least when the river gets re\ stocked at least we have the lifespan of a barbel to fish for them , just got to get to them before the chemicals do , to spawn them . if a barbel lives 15 years that will do for me,,

Blog Entries

What a very sad attitude you have to the sustainability of the river habitat and the lifeforms that live in it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast