Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  62
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Barbel fishing on the River Ribble - discuss

Wish they would get into a few rivers here, naturally, of course...

I have been reading since I started fishing that the rivers are in decline. .they should all be fishless dry ditches by now.

Basically lets face it , anglers love to have something to moan about. Even if they bag up on whoppers they have to say its only because there are no fry coming through and the big old fish will soon die off and terminal decline is just round the corner.

You gotta love it !

Blog Entries

Well let's hope you don't get to see it happen on the Severn,how many guest houses would go to the wall,some famous barbel rivers are very,very difficult today,even with stocking,if the Trent hadn't received massive stocking in recent years it would be in the same boat too,what is one of one of the countries top barbel venues.

Blog Entries

Anglers are the eternal pessimistic optimists or optimistic pessimists!

Quote Originally Posted by The bad one View Post
    Anglers are the eternal pessimistic optimists or optimistic pessimists!
    Yes thats a good way of putting it.

Moaning about teminal decline in between smiling capture shots

We can eradicate most species without even thinking about it so why not cormorants? Mind you I'm amazed a cormorant can come close to a barbel or Chub let alone eat it!

Blog Entries

Ah,but Mike they're very partial to an 8-10oz barbel or chub,probably bigger...

Blog Entries

I was reading a fish breeders site some time ago and if you have a Cormorant problem the recommendation was to stock fish 4lb and larger!

I read a Cormorant eats on average 2lbs of fish per day. I counted almost 200 in the trees on a streatch of local river quite recently. If you do the maths its not so pleasant.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that holding spots for fish and in particular Roach which are Cormorant snack size par excellence are starting to become driven not so much by the river and its conditions but by the need to avoid predatation.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    I read a Cormorant eats on average 2lbs of fish per day. I counted almost 200 in the trees on a streatch of local river quite recently. If you do the maths its not so pleasant.

I am becoming increasingly convinced that holding spots for fish and in particular Roach which are Cormorant snack size par excellence are starting to become driven not so much by the river and its conditions but by the need to avoid predatation.
    If cormorants and otters, plus the other natural predators here in the uk ate what people say they do then there would have been sod all fish left yonks ago.
    The fact is the amount and the ssize of fish they eat is grossly exagerrated.
    How many people have had hold of a cormorant?
    I've had lots of them in my hands, dead from lead poisoning and some still alive with broken wings etc in my hands, they are far smaller when you get your hands on them than they look flying about.
    The fish you see being eaten in pictures are only relevant to the size of the birds. A small fish may look massive in the pictures but in reality it's only small.
    As i've said before, how can anglers moan about a bird doing what is has been designed to do over millions of years and yet condone the introduction of invasive species that are a genuine threat to the countrys flora and fauna.....wels catfish for starters!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast