Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  56
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Barbel fishing on the River Ribble - discuss

Not from my point of view, the suppression of the numbers is starting to pay dividends as per the silver fish being caught on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by liphook View Post
    Some interesting discussion above but to bring this thread back on topic if I may, are some saying that the cormorant issue is actually not an issue at all and that the river and it's catchment would be in similar or better position if we gave up their licensed control? I ask as someone who is named on several site specific (6 bird pa) licenses in the area.
    The OP had no mention of predation of any sort,just bemoaning the downturn in barbel fishing on the Ribble,a matter which cormorants have little bearing on as I see it,the point being the conversation is continually mutating,your question is as valid as any other...

Your quite right Witty, I should have written 'back on the topic of cormorants'. Out of interest do you fish the Ribble?

Obviously a long way from me unfortunately,as I'd love to,especially in these days of plummeting barbel fishing in the south,the furthest 'north' I've fished for barbel is the Trent,I bow to local knowledge and know Phil and Brian have that in spades on the Ribble,I have acquaintances who fish the river too,so it's nice to have gen.rivers such as the Wye,Severn,Ribble along with the Yorkshire spate rivers have the best chance of holding decent barbel populations imo,the rest I fear for unfortunately...

Quote Originally Posted by liphook View Post
    Some interesting discussion above but to bring this thread back on topic if I may, are some saying that the cormorant issue is actually not an issue at all and that the river and it's catchment would be in similar or better position if we gave up their licensed control? I ask as someone who is named on several site specific (6 bird pa) licenses in the area.
    I don't see how it could be better positioned? So that's half a no from me.

How much of the upturn in silver fish on the river is down to the licenses is a much harder question to answer. You would need to Know a couple of things that I don't think we fully do to answer that properly.

Firstly how much of an impact do the licenses have? There are still cormorants on the river and as they have wing so there always will be for me.

Second silver fish numbers are better than I have ever known them despite there being cormorants on the river. So how much impact do cormorants really have, if a river has healthy self sustaining stocks?

So yes I do have my doubts of how effective the licenses are.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789