Are barbel anglers extinct?

Reaction score
The Trent is still a stronghold,long may it remain so.

Reaction score
I think from now on,I will say nothing on site about barbel fishing,if people are holding back about,nobody expects venue information,but tactical speak and general findings would be nice on site,if it's becoming like carping it can l#as off...

It might even be better to close the barbel section,so as to leave it to more used parts of the site,after all,the last post was on the 14th of March,on a thread which I started because of the lack of activity,looks grim to me.

Last edited:

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Definately not extinct.
Disrespectful of most other species and leave to much evidence of their intentions by the waterside. Both extremes my neck of the woods.
Barbel snobbery and cliques/elitism (graduates of the Barbel university) mixed with the casual who uses pre-tied's and leaves empty cans about.
I don't seem to fit in on either side.

(Edited post) to many argumentitive experts and doubting Thomas' in this field. If you can get over your own expertise or choose a name that shows "all rounder" I might be able to help someone.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Your take on barbel fishing reads a bit like a caricature involving short-sighted individuals, driven by fashion and profit-seeking industry. You'll probably notice, as time goes by, that the barbel anglers on here tend to be all-rounders with broad angling interests and a good understanding of the bigger picture.

I'm not sure what to make of your claim that it proved easy enough to catch even the biggest barbel on 4 rivers......Didn't you post that you couldn't find roach in the Weaver? That would be like failing to find hay in a haystack :)

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im a terrible Roach fisherman!! I tend to look for Cormorants and borrow from their watercraft ;)
This is what happens when you do to much of one thing only, things go a bit one dimensional.
Anyway Carp and Barbel are fashionable and fashion has its victims :)

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Sensitive subject detection alarm? lol

I see that some people are expert in subsuming any different opinion into their own narrative......I don't have a sensitive subject detector, but I do notice over-statement and florid rhetoric.

I don't think of posts on here as "aimed at"....more a matter of who people think they're talking to. It's possible that others fish for barbel because, like you, they "just enjoy it" and might might wonder why you assume their motives are less righteous than yours.

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a good grasp on human nature and how advertisers use that to form trends and public opinion (like mans need for attention or societal/social approaval/acceptance)...me? I only have the personal experience of fishing in certain circles and observation of how that develops nationally to draw from being a loner (man gains nothing lying to himself but get a few Barbel anglers together....lol).
Funny how a man can be caught easily in the (net) profits of say Tesco but people doubt that same knowledge can be applied to a fish caught by a superior species alone (man).

Barbel fishing is/was for me in this order:

1: Location (includes permissions...)
2: Time commitment (intentionally greater with season)
3: watercraft (river ecology and nature of fish species, methods.....)
4: Bait (offering a free meal or "routine" for easier survival)
5: Adequately sufficient equipment (...you must..you need to...buy this one its better for....)

All costs money to achieve. Fact.
Sell someone a dream they can easily make reality but not to easy that they dont feel they "did it" all by themselves.

All of which is tempered by individuals who are only to happy to hand you the anecdotal or evidences of successes (which is human nature "look at ne"):)

Last edited:

Keith M

Reaction score
Your take on Barbel anglers seems a little far away from the Barbel anglers that frequent the streams and rivers that I fish.
However they are nearly all club owned and we keep the riff-raff out ;):)

There are large Roach, Dace, Perch, Chub plus the occasional good Carp and many other equally sought after fish in my local Stream/river as well as Barbel (thankfully otters have not yet taken up residence) and nearly all of us love targeting different species during different parts of the year including the smaller species like Dace and Roach, (mostly because they do grow fairly large in the stream/river anyway).

The club that owns the fishing rights has installed natural looking flow changing barriers along the length to ensure that the gravel bottom is not covered in silt during low flows (paid by our membership fees and donations plus our hard work) and the wild life in and around the river is abundant, and all the members have all put a lot of effort into making it a lovely place to fish.

:)

Keith

Last edited:

Weirdoh

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Your take on Barbel anglers seems a little far away from the Barbel anglers that frequent the streams and rivers that I fish.
However they are nearly all club owned and we keep the riff-raff out ;):)

There are large Roach, Dace, Perch, Chub and a few good Carp and many other equally sought after fish in my local Stream/river as well as Barbel (thankfully otters have not yet taken up residence) and nearly all of us love targeting different species during different parts of the year including the smaller species like Dace and Roach, (mostly because they grow fairly large in the stream/river anyway).

The club that owns the fishing rights has installed natural looking flow changing barriers along the length to ensure that the gravel bottom is not covered in silt during low flows and the wild life in and around the river is abundant, and all the members have all put a lot of effort into making it a lovely place to fish.

Keith

Jolly good show old boy!
Keep that riff raff out and hope the Otter doesnt mess things up ...being an Otter and all that.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are in Norfolk, as are the Barbel...well some about apparently but definitely not in the numbers they were before.

Reaction score
A 'Like' isn't really appropriate,but I appreciate your post,welcome to FM by the way....