The difference between

D

Dave Burr

The difference between FM and BFW is that over there the posts have continued over the festivities whereas on FM it has been a barbel shutdown since Crimble eve.

Why is that?

Could it be that on FM the Gentlemen Anglers of this establishment have been accompanying their families during this religious time and have spent their time in front of the fire wearing their new jumpers, playing with kids whilst sipping eggnog?

Could it be that they are using the time off work to go fishing?

Could it be that they are all too p.p.p. drunk to use a keyboard?

Discuss........... if you can be bothered.

Happy New Year all.

F

Fred Bonney

Dave, doesn't look like anybody is bothered.

The difference is that a greatnumber of the regulars on here, have no specific interest in barbel.

It's just another fish.

They've also seen the fallout amongst "barbel fishers" and frankly have lost interest in the way barbel fishing has travelled.

Who can blaim them?

Most of it has been a self selling exercises, or just plain willy measuring!

My guess is, that if the 'tinternet had been around in the early day's of carp fishing many people would have lost interest in the same way.

You will see from other posts about Christmas, the regulars have just been doing that,enjoying their families.

I'm sure even a few of them have been fishing, although I think sometimes the majority on here probably don't actually fish at all.

So, I've bothered a littlebit, and I will be fishing the Trent on monday.

Happy New Year to all FMers.

J

John H Member of THE C.S.G.. & The A.T.

Could it be the threat of a hammer through the laptop display by dearly beloved at the very mention of 'computers' over the festive days and that FM'ers are more sensitive to needs of others than the BFW'ers are?

Fred, even I should be out fishing next week one day, a mate has offered to carry my gear...in exchange for some cheese paste.

A happy New Year to all, even barbel anglers /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I certainly would be a lot more interested in your website Dave if it wasn't totally committed to barbel. As Fred says, barbel are just another species of fish and certainly not the most difficult to catch either.

I have caught thousands of them in my life, including a few African cousins of the barbel. They are certainly a nice hard fighting, exciting fish, but no more than many other species. Weight for weight, a fit rainbow trout will make a barbel look pedestrian.

But from an angling perspective, the humble roach appeals to me far more than those bewhiskered cyprinids many members of the BS seem to go barmy over. Not only that, a quality roach takes a whole load more skill to catch than the overgrown "suckers" we call barbel.

Recently I saw our Fred catch a lovely roach from the Idle. He didn't say soin so many words, but by crikey he was truly delighted.

Good onya Fred.

F

Fred Bonney

Thanks Ron I was, and shall be there tomorrow to get your one from 4 years ago/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

The trouble with irony Dave, is thatmost who use it, have the ability toput it across,you obviously don't.

D

Dave Burr

My web site? I haven't put a bid in Ron. And don't run away with the notion that I am a one species angler. I fish for all species coarse, game (except salmon) and sea. I've been piking the last few days albeit for little result, and I'm after chub later today. I've a couple of grayling trips booked for Jan, Feb and a few days promised for some roach of exceptional proportions.

If I catch a good fish of any species I, like Fred, am truly delighted.

I've consentrated on barbel over the last few years as I have the Wye on my doorstep and other circumstances have prevened me from travelling to far flung waters but I'm hoping that this wil change this year.

I totally agree that "barbel are just another species" and feel that we shall one day rue the fact that they are being introduced into just about every river to the possible detriment of other species especially the roach.

And Fred, meeeeow! again /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Dave, perhaps it's because it's been too cold for the barbs? And maybe FMers are wiser than BFWers and don't wnat to sit behind a pair of rods freezing their nadgers off?

I've been mainly roaching, tomorrow I will be roaching and piking not far from you /forum/smilies/dont_tell_anyone_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Happy New Year to all anglers, I wonder if there will be any barbel wars next year? /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

F

Fred Bonney

It can be arranged Steve/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Same from me too, to all my friends(and Dave) have a healthy, happy, a job & and a good fishing 2009

P

pons

Barbel wars in 2009 ?

Is the Pope catholic ?

Is the football back in the trenches ?

Peace and love .

Pons/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Matty, are you still down South?

I spent 3 hours feeding maggots into a freezing Thames for nowt!

It was a nice day though

Graham

Damian Kimmins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>pons wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Barbel wars in 2009 ?

Is the Pope catholic ?

Is the football back in the trenches ?

Peace and love .

Pons/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif </blockquote>

Is that a Ringo Star esque 'peace and love' Chris?

/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

phill mcguire

Reaction score
chubbing tommorow and piking thursday with a clear head/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Maggie

Reaction score
I was hoping to give my new Centrepin its first outing but with the temperature hovering just above freezing I'll wait till the weather is acouple ofdegrees warmer.

I'll probably be fishingfor Chub and Roach on the upper Lea untill the temperature passes 10 - 15 degrees when I might try to christen my new Pin with itsfirst Barbel. /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif