Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbel spawning

Blog Entries

Default Re: Barbel spawning

I've said this before,but the Ivel had good numbers of barbel,between 3/4lbs and upper doubles,with obvious year classes,with decent numbers of each,then the otter hit the stretch,which is not enormous,maybe a mile tops(the rest not being as barbelly),within around 4/5 years the population was decimated and with the EA stocking smallish fish in trying to cover up the damage to what was the apple of their eye,most fish that are seen are stockies,they used to successfully spawn because kids used to catch gudgeon sized ones on the shallows below the weir,I just think that otters deplete barbel severely on small rivers,for whatever reasons,the Ivel in many spots only had small areas where they lived,easy targets in afraid.

A lot of the boom and bust is down to stockings too, when Barbel fishing got big in the 90/00s it seemed they were popping up everywhere and in some pretty random rivers so maybe they are now finding their natural level? On my local rivers everyone seemed to be targeting them and a new type of angler was seen on the banks as opposed to when chub were the main quarry. Barbel are easy to catch and can suffer from poor handling more than some other species. It would be horrible if some missing recruitment years were down to late breeding where the spawning has been affected by poor fishing, of course there is no proof of this but it's possible, add to that poor flow levels and too much silt in the gravels, which some clubs are countering now by pumping the gravel clean with hoses.

More questions than answers but many of these rivers have suffered so badly due to abstraction in the last thirty years and that's something there's no denying. If you throw in proven cases of otters and poachers then the assumption would be that the distribution of barbel will never be at the levels they were at 20 years ago

Blog Entries

Rob,I've fished the Trent,Severn,Gt.Ouse,Kennet,Lea when they boomed,at different times,I remember the ivel fish going in and the Ouse,in fact I was at Biggleswade,Radwell,Sharnbrook and Milton Earnest the days they went in,I remember how long it took for them to start coming out on these venues,sadly I seen these venues become a shadow of their former selves,unless all you want is a handful of barbel a year with the chance of a monster,me,I'd rather have fair populations of average fish...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Rob,I've fished the Trent,Severn,Gt.Ouse,Kennet,Lea when they boomed,at different times,I remember the ivel fish going in and the Ouse,in fact I was at Biggleswade,Radwell,Sharnbrook and Milton Earnest the days they went in,I remember how long it took for them to start coming out on these venues,sadly I seen these venues become a shadow of their former selves,unless all you want is a handful of barbel a year with the chance of a monster,me,I'd rather have fair populations of average fish...
    I feel for you as know the Ouse and Ivel well and despite what others have said on the matter in previous discussions both you and I know the main cause of these rivers demise as Barbel waters, sure they became a bit of a circus when the big fish were coming out but now they have gone totally the opposite way, I too would have liked some middle ground regarding natural stock surviving in healthy numbers rather than just the odd fish here and there.

I would say that's nature but it was man's meddling that's caused both the ups and the downs in those rivers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12