Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default What do you call this fish?

In the U.S. we call this fish a sucker even though there are 79 species within the sucker category. (Is a carp in the sucker category?)

In any case this 3 lb fish put up one hell of a fight on light tackle!
    Last edited by spoonminnow; 11-06-2019 at 10:39.

Default Re: What do you call this fish?

I cannot see the mouth clearly. I doubt its a barbel as I cannot see any barbules. The tail does not appear forked enough.
    According to the web its a cyprinid which means somewhere along the line its related to barbel and has probably evolved along similar lines.

3. Default Re: What do you call this fish?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Cyprinidae is the largest and most diverse fish family and the largest vertebrate animal family in general, with about 3,000 species
    There weren't any barbules that I recall.

Suckers are essentially loaches. Not carp family but same order as carp Catostomidae - Wikipedia

5. Default Re: What do you call this fish?

I have seen US anglers catching these on YouTube and thought they looked like some kind of half way house between a Barble and a Loach, pretty cool looking fish.

On a side note, I really dislike the use of lip grippers and don't get why it's so common over the other side of the pond.

Blog Entries

On a side note, I really dislike the use of lip grippers and don't get why it's so common over the other side of the pond.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree mate,I might understand it with a tiger fish,pirhana,barracuda etc,but I believe a sucker has no sharp teeth to endanger the angler so it seems unnecessary,it may be a fashion accessory in the states.