Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: John Wilson Barbel Quiver Rod

Yes I know what you mean about beachcasting. Obviously there are places there where you can fish otherwise but so many places which are good are on the inside bends where the flow is greater and if using a ledger you simply cannot afford to let light terminal tackle roll into the tackle hungry rocks.

I have a few favourite places where I can get away with lighter leads particularly on the non tidal by casting bigger distances just over the nearside slacker water on outside bends but usually in summer when the boats stop in the evening. I know the barbel dont seem to take any notice of the boats but it doesn't feel right to me.

Last winter I finished the river season with a couple of nice doubles doing this on my Acy distance rod.

I know what you mean about more pleasure from closer in barbeling though. I make the effort now and again to go up to Nth Yorkshire to fish a narrow fast water where I can catch them under my feet against the bank. Thats heart stopping stuff.
    Tight lines.

Blog Entries

I've fished the Trent and there are places you can cast to the far bank and hold with three ozs,I don't get the buzz from big snaggy rivers as I do ones that have visible features,but I enjoy and have enjoyed catching them anywhere.

Blog Entries

James, I haven’t tried Barbel fishing on the Thames yet but I’ve fished three of its tributaries the Kennet, the Lodden and the river Lea many hundreds of times over the years for their Chub and Barbel using a link leger with little more than a few SSG’s up to about one ounce for longer ranges in normal summer flows, unless I am using a feeder; which isn’t that often as I’m usually fishing within loose feed range or using PVA stockings or bait droppers.

If I want to keep my bait occasionally moving downstream every few minutes then I’ll just use a few SSG for my weight then when I lift my rod tip slightly my rig will trundle a foot or more downstream, and if I need a more stationary bait then I’ll use a half ounce to an ounce flat lead.

75% of the time I’m using small link ledgers as in the diagram below:

During the summer months I’ll usually be using lines of around 8lb but in really low water during a really dry period I sometimes use 6lb line. If I’m fishing in flood water then I’ll step up to 10lb or 12lb line and use heavier leads to suit.

For normal flows I use rods of 1.5lb or 1.75lb test depending on the location and the size of the Barbel in that stretch, and for floodwater then Ill usually step up to a 2lb TC rod.

NB: In the autumn when the fish are putting on weight to see them through the colder months I will tend to leave my lighter tackle at home and will not go lower than 8lb test line and my 1.75lb rod as I have most of my better sized Barbel at this time of year.

James your 1.75lb J.Wilson Barbel rod should be fine for the Thames and its tributaries using similar tactics and these rivers are not too far from where you live. The hardest part would be finding your best fishing.

This is how I tackle up for Barbel on these rivers when I’m fishing on the bottom (and not Trotting of course) but of course others might fish differently.

tight lines.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 27-06-2019 at 17:06.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Quote Originally Posted by James.Wray89 View Post
    Hi guy's,

Bought the 'John Wilson Barbel Quiver Rod' a few months back have only used it once. I just need a bit of help with any suggestions in regard's to set up.

I am using it with it's Avon tip which is rated at 1.75lb along side Shimano Alivio 4000 R match fishing fixed spool reel with Drennan ESP Syncro XT Fishing Line.

I just wanted to know reel wise if that's good enough for general fishing as well as what lead's i should be using etc? i'm use to fishing with a more 'beefy' set up for carp but want to start getting in to using my barbel rod.

Any suggestions, please fire away!
    Are looking at the travel one I'm tempted for my perch fishing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12