Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Wilson Barbel Quiver Rod

Hi guy's,

Bought the 'John Wilson Barbel Quiver Rod' a few months back have only used it once. I just need a bit of help with any suggestions in regard's to set up.

I am using it with it's Avon tip which is rated at 1.75lb along side Shimano Alivio 4000 R match fishing fixed spool reel with Drennan ESP Syncro XT Fishing Line.

I just wanted to know reel wise if that's good enough for general fishing as well as what lead's i should be using etc? i'm use to fishing with a more 'beefy' set up for carp but want to start getting in to using my barbel rod.

Any suggestions, please fire away!

2. Default Re: John Wilson Barbel Quiver Rod

The reel will be fine.

Use a lead that easily allows you to cast the distance you need/want to cast. As a rule of thumb for every LB of test curve you can cast an ounce of weight.

Blog Entries

Default Re: John Wilson Barbel Quiver Rod

Imo it depends on the rivers being fished,then ranges on these rivers,the reel is fine for general barbel fishing on most rivers until flood water is encountered,or big feeders are used,3-4ozs upwards,plus bait.

Some of this will depend on the type of river you want to fish - can you tell us that? Maybe give us some examples?

Also, you don't mention the b/s of the line you're using. Generally, most opt for 10 to 12 lb line for fishing somewhere like the wye, though some of that strength is based on the rigours that the river will place on the tackle (current, weed, rocks etc).

I use a 1.75lb tc rod for nearly all of my barbel fishing on the wye, it will cast a loaded 3oz feeder ok but I have to be careful... its a bit of a lob cast rather than a full-blooded over-head thump. I suspect my range whilst doing so is about 30m comfortably and 40-ish-m pushing it... so well short of what you might be used to casting whilst carp fishing

I have one of those. I have been abusing it for about 10 years. As Jim says it will lob rather than heave a big feeder. Having said that it has a lot of poke lower down.
    !0 or 12 lb b s is quite OK to go up to if you need to although with that line I would feel more comfortable with a 50 or 60 reel size. If you are fishing lighter at close range with perhaps 8lb bs then the 40 is fine.

Judging by your stated location I doubt there is any really strong current flows near to you on the Thames, Lea or Kennet so the 1.7 will be fine.
    I abuse mine on the Trent in normal/low conditions until the water really gets going through.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    I have one of those. I have been abusing it for about 10 years. As Jim says it will lob rather than heave a big feeder. Having said that it has a lot of poke lower down.
    !0 or 12 lb b s is quite OK to go up to if you need to although with that line I would feel more comfortable with a 50 or 60 reel size. If you are fishing lighter at close range with perhaps 8lb bs then the 40 is fine.

Judging by your stated location I doubt there is any really strong current flows near to you on the Thames, Lea or Kennet so the 1.7 will be fine.
    I abuse mine on the Trent in normal/low conditions until the water really gets going through.
    I've fished the Thames a fair bit,Jim a lot more than i,most barbel fishing is done later in the year(unless weirpool fishing),then the Thames is a different beast needing three ounces to hold ten yards out,in summer an AA shot could often hold,this never used to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I've fished the Thames a fair bit,Jim a lot more than i,most barbel fishing is done later in the year(unless weirpool fishing),then the Thames is a different beast needing three ounces to hold ten yards out,in summer an AA shot could often hold,this never used to be the case.
    Yes indeed, it used to flow substantially more year round... I can't help thinking that some of the decline in the thames barbel population is due to that decreased flow (managed through the weirs no doubt)... and then just when the fishing might get good with a bit of extra water, its turned in to an absolutely charging torrent, again I suspect by careful management of the weir system to ensure that nowhere gets flooded. Thought I might have a chance of a very early season barbel at the opening but the river wasn't anything like as high as it could have been. I've been told that some of this might have been due to filling up farmoor reservoir...

Blog Entries

In summer they don't let much water over the weirs,saving it for the countless lock operations in a day,this the flow one minute,standing the next....

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    then the Thames is a different beast needing three ounces to hold ten yards out,.
    OK then, a tongue in cheek retort from an ex Thames fisher now a Trent fisher.................Yes 3 ozs to hold, thats what I meant by a slow benign flow

Blog Entries

I must add,I don't like using beach gear for barbel fishing,so three ounces is my limit,thus limiting me to slacks,or insides of bends,not the best places for barbel in the main,so fishing within the yards of the bank is,or was my domain,I've nothing against the use of heavy leads/swimfeeders,just don't enjoy using them myself.
    I tried to put a smile on the the beginning of the above post and a never seen heading came up,I believe page 403,not allowing me to post with said emoji,so....
    Last edited by whitty; 25-06-2019 at 03:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast