Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pellet mash

Default Re: Pellet mash

Quote Originally Posted by Mrnab View Post
    unfortunately i can't see the bottom. I did consider just freelining also
    Freelining and touch ledgering can give you an idea of what's going on although barbel can be nomadic, so it's a case of building up a picture of the stretch you are fishing and finding what works when and where with a smattering of why.

Good luck with your journey

Blog Entries

Could be worth a try, unfortunately i can't see the bottom. I did consider just freelining also
    Freelining can result in foul hooking,it's difficult to judge unless you feel the fish tightening up...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    Freelining can result in foul hooking,it's difficult to judge unless you feel the fish tightening up...
    Very true, especially with hair-rigs. Good reminder.

Blog Entries

Great replys, some good info here. The river i fish is the anker and it isn't particularly fast. So i may just plug the ends of the feeder with groundbait and stick the pellets in dry.
    I’ve never even seen the river Anker but this is how I would most probably start fishing it for its Barbel.

Feeding:
    It would depend on the width of the anker but if it is beyond easy loose feeding I would either be using PVA stocking filled with small pellets and/or Hemp attached to my lead or hook, or by using a feeder and if fishing within easy reach I would be feeding small pellets and/or hemp by catapult or by hand or by using a bait dropper (if I was needing to lay a bed of feed).
    But make sure that you know where your feed is hitting the bottom; this is very important especially if you are unsure of the depth)

Fishing methods:
    My choice would probably be ‘Touch legering’ using either the smallest of leads which will hold still in the current; from a few SSG shot on a small link of line up to a half ounce or more if necessary so that with a gentle lift of your rod tip you can let your lead trundle downstream a little, or a feeder if you decide to use one (see pic)

I would also be coating my bait (usually meat or pellet) in a softish fishmeal paste to create a flavour trail leading upstream to my hook.

Touch legering is a brilliant method which as well as being able to tell you the moment your bait is being taken, with a minimum of practice it also enables you to feel the difference between a fish moving over and mouthing your bait and streamer weed brushing against your line and you can also feel whether your lead is on silt or gravel or on a rocky river bed; and all by touch. However you can only use one rod to do it correctly so if you are going to use two rods then I would forget it.

That is how I myself would start to attack the Barbel on a new stream or smallish river if I wasn’t going to be trotting for them with a float anyway.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 25-08-2019 at 19:05.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I just read this thread with interest as I just got back from a trip after Barbel, 20 Barbel as well as the obligatory Bream & Chub over a couple of days and while I would normally dropper out bait and then fish a straight lead & hookbaits over it, I had some groundbait left over from another session so decided to stick some of that in a feeder on one of the rods as well. By the end I had all the rods on groundbait feeders as I got the distinct impression it was helping the fish home in on the hookbait on the bed of bait....sometimes within seconds of being cast out.

I'd like to say I carefully plugged each end of the feeder with a super duper mix and put micro pellts in the middle etc etc but the reality is I just bunged everything into the groundbait mix at the start and then filled the feeder with that. I just squeezed it harder or softer into the feeder depending on the swim I was in. The deeper the swim the more I squeezed it together to make sure it made it to the bottom. I also always have at least some hemp in there as I think this keeps fish rooting around more than just about anything else.
    Last edited by Philip; 25-08-2019 at 19:16. Reason: and

Just going to add to this that, flow allowing, there's actually two very distinct things you can do with a feeder in regards to how the feed is going to come out.

When I start a session, before I've even attached a hooklength, I will often mix some groundbait on the dry side, and then use the smallest plug possible either end of the feeder to get out a mix of particles. I will use pellets (of differing sizes), corn, hemp and maybe a few crushed up bits of boilie. When you cast this, if you feather the cast down and then keep your finger on the line (so it's taught to the feeder), not only will you feel the moment when the feeder hits the bottom, you'll also feel the moment when the bait is released from the feeder. As the plugs "burst", you'll get a slight release of tension and the feeder will drop back a touch (because it isn't as heavy any more). If I get the consistency of the groundbait plugs just right, the burst will be happening 10 or 15 seconds after I've cast - which is just what i'm looking for. With the line clipped up, I will now put between 5 and 10 feeders out quickly... getting down the bed of bait.

The next bit is the hardest. DON'T FISH!! I will spend the next 15 or 20 minutes making sure I've got exactly the right hook length tied up, sorting my kit so I have everything relevant to hand, getting my chair and rod rest arrangement just right, generally organising myself (call of nature maybe!)… and I will also take some of that dry groundbait mix and adjust it so that the mix is a just a little heavier and now also has a load of the mentioned particles added to it.

In conclusion - in the first instance, I want feed out of the feeder as quickly as possible. In the second, I want it to trickle out, keeping the swim ticking over as it does so.

Blog Entries

Jim,I don't think it matters much in normal circumstances,if all the bait is gone,the barbel(or anything else)will work the way up the swim to a point just above where the feed was introduced,then drop back to their hidey hole and start again and again and again,this is common practice and I've watched it on rivers like the H.Avon,where I would feed every 1.5hrs,fish would still be searching until just before time was up,I don't think much was left apart from an odd grain of hemp,if that,only on rivers like the Trent,Wye,Severn etc do fish put up with continuous casting and feeding,these days when fishing boilies I use small pva bags and cast(if I can)every 40 minutes,my fishing has changed as I used to feed loads of bait,often that just doesn't work today,on the Trent I hear guys I know who fish it saying nobody was catching,it was off,I know others who fish casters and catch plenty,barbel are not as simple as some anglers think,apart from in darkness...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12