Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pellet mash

Default Pellet mash

Thinking of trying it for barbel soon on my local river, just wondering if anyone has experience with it. Planning on using it with a cage feeder. Or should i just stick to simple pellets and plug the ends of the feeder. I was considering trying this: Dr Paul Garner's 10- minute make | Pellet mash — Angling Times

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pellet mash

Mate,take a tip from the match lads,put a pint of either micros,or three four mm carp pellets in cold water,soak them for 1 minute for each mm of pellet(this is a rough guide,some may need less so try a small amount first),drain them,put the lid on for say fifteen minutes,done,they should bind well enough to plug the feeder,use 6mm halibuts/trouts/carp pellet dry in the feeder,as dry pellet stay in the swim longer,wet pellet has slight bouyancy,hope that helps.

Depending on how deep or strong the flow is in your local river. If the current is strong and you suspect the bait empties too quickly or before it reaches the bottom try adding a little method feeder mix to the gunge you are plugging the feeder with.

Blog Entries

I often wonder about that,a feeder hasn't got to empty slowly in a river imo,the main object is getting feed in the right spot,I normally would recast a feeder every 20 minutes or so,I usually fish pva have and I cast around every 40/45 minutes,seems around right according to catches,an hour in winter if possible,I wouldn't hesitate to do the same with a feeder,which I think takes longer to release bait,also if bait dribbles out smaller fish get more of a look in,if bait is released in a whoosh,a bed is created,which in my book creates the best option for bigger fish,a bed of bait...
    Last edited by whitty; 25-08-2019 at 11:00.

I think you are right in that a bed is ideal. I was thinking of my local river the Trent where the the flow is pretty strong at times.
    I dont think there is the scope always to create a bed. I feel the flow just takes it away. I cant be sure of course.
    I often use bigger pellets (8mm) or half mini boilies in the feeder. My thoughts are that a scent trail and a few bits rolling down might make the barbel swim upstream to investigate.

Sometimes there is no action for ages then suddenly I get 3 or 4 fish in quick succession all of similar size. I have often thought the fish travel in similar year group shoals and scent is going to attract the wanderers.

I may be completely wrong of course. Thats fishing.

What I have done on the tidal is wait until that short period where the flow is negative either in or out and then fill it in! That has worked at times.

Among the many permutations, I've been told about using warm water with molasses in as a soak - put your pellets in a large plastic bag and add the liquor and then give them a good shake, drain off the excess - I haven't tried it myself self though as I've never felt the need to try it.

I would imagine a plastic box with a suitable lid on it would do the trick?

Blog Entries

I agree with the trail,if you fish fast flowing river,sometimes more regular casts(accurate)especially in the first couple of hours,accelerate the fish finding the source,that's summer,also small pellets get stuck in gravel/stones easier,making a scent trail. I caught a few fish in a very turbulent shallow gravel run on the tidal Stour,without doubt the bait gets moved along,especially when small fish are abundant,even minnows can move baits along,but their last interest attracts barbel to investigate...sometimes large beds don't work as well as small ones.
    As for year classes wondering together,in rivers I can see into I haven't found that to be the case,with fish from 2lbs-15lbs plus feeding together,that's on four or five rivers,maybe more,it could well be different on the Trent or even the tidal where you fish.
    Last edited by whitty; 25-08-2019 at 12:15.

Great replys, some good info here. The river i fish is the anker and it isn't particularly fast. So i may just plug the ends of the feeder with groundbait and stick the pellets in dry.

Blog Entries

Could you get away with loose feed then,feeders disturb fish on smaller rivers at times,also if you can see the bottom you can gauge how much feed and how often which will get a better response...

Could be worth a try, unfortunately i can't see the bottom. I did consider just freelining also
    Last edited by Mrnab; 25-08-2019 at 14:51.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast