Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  11

Default River Lot, France in Febuary

After three (fishless) weeks holiday in Spain (the Med!) on our return I wasted no time getting back to fishing my home river Lot. After two short sessions I still could not find a fish! I thought the exceptionally warm temperatures (21c a couple of days ago!) would have woken the fish up, but no!

The daytime temperatures dropped to 9c today but it was still sunny, so an afternoon 4 hour session looked attractive.

Down at lovely Larnagol today and finally a fish! Plucky little barbel that had a turn of speed when returned to the river.

River Lot, France in Febuary-img_20200205_152938916_2.jpg

River Lot, France in Febuary-img_20200205_152308656_2.jpg

River Lot, France in Febuary-img_20200205_152314151_burst000_cover_top_2.jpg

The river Lot is proving a challenge, fish have not been trained to eat boilies, but I am working on them - they will learn!

Default Re: River Lot, France in Febuary

Back down at the same swim this afternoon with a friend. First cast (like last time!) a bite within a few minutes resulted in a fit 5 pound barbel.

Just like the last session no further fish!

River Lot, France in Febuary-img_20200208_143307447.jpg

The water is very clear and I only used the feeder to place groundbait, but it seems the barbel are very spooky here.

Most barbel I have managed in a session here is four. I have also had a bag of 2 barbel, one 6lb+ bream and a small carp in a four hour session.

I am sure there is a shoal in this stretch and multiple fish come if I put groundbait in the evening before a fishing session. Not sure if there is anything I can do to get a better result out of this swim.

The depth is around 6', moderate current (2ozs usually settles well) Fallen tree 30 yds downtream of my pitch and boulders in the middle of the river. I put my bait between the tree and the boulders, varying the exact position over a few square yards.

River Lot, France in Febuary-barbel-ideal.jpg

Swim is downstream of the far bank slipway (just out of the left of this photo), where a tree branch is in the river.

How would you approach this swim?
    Last edited by pelamid; 08-02-2020 at 19:33.

What a lovely looking place to fish!

I'd float fish it.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    What a lovely looking place to fish!

I'd float fish it.
    So many scenic stretches along my local 10 mile stretch of the Lot. I landed lucky when I found a place to live here!

With the river as it is just now you are probably right. I have not float fished for barbel yet but I recently bought a 12' 1.5 TC rod that should do that job well.

Will try it next time

Quote Originally Posted by pelamid View Post
    So many scenic stretches along my local 10 mile stretch of the Lot. I landed lucky when I found a place to live here!

With the river as it is just now you are probably right. I have not float fished for barbel yet but I recently bought a 12' 1.5 TC rod that should do that job well.

Will try it next time

Good luck with your float fishing but if I were you i'd use a match float rod, anything from 13ft to 15ft and a line rating of about 6lb.
    I'm not slating your rod, but I reckon your 1.5lb test rod won't be a joy to trot with.
    Last edited by tigger; 08-02-2020 at 21:46.

Arf lovely native France!

Thanks for the pics.

Not sure if it may be relevant to you, but almost all barbel I've had on the natural meuse were using either a string of Dynamite Swim Stim Match Mini's or a string of corns.
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

Quote Originally Posted by sylvanillo View Post
    Arf lovely native France!

Thanks for the pics.

Not sure if it may be relevant to you, but almost all barbel I've had on the natural meuse were using either a string of Dynamite Swim Stim Match Mini's or a string of corns.
    Thanks for the bait tips. Next time I make a tackle order I will get some of the match Mini's.

When I first used boilies it was on the Lot. Decathlon own brand .......nothing ate them! Went back to using worms and prawns which most fish seem to like here,

I have a friend in Scotland that now runs a small bait making company. Glad I trusted his judgement as the boilies he supplied me had instant success with chub to over 5lbs and then many barbel.

Now I have been experimenting with various paste baits. That last barbel came on a "fibre paste" with some of my friends ground up boilie added. Not sure if I am allowed to use the brand names on this forum.

Pastes generally get more confident takes, but with so many small species in the river you cannot be sure how long they stay on the hook. The fibre paste resists the attentions of minnows and gudgeon quite well.

Great fun experimenting with baits!

Interesting that fibre paste option!
    I don't think there's any issue with posting brand names.

Re. the boilies I've noticed something similar but with pop ups. I haven't been able to test on barbel since my move back to oxford, but on chub I can definitely say that some work some not at all. I've put them on a hair, with a shot a few cms from the hook.
    Whether on canal or river, the chub has (without prebaiting) liked the Ron Hutchinson 14 mm - Tiger nut (yellow), the Chapel Baits Tutti Frutti 12 mm (orange), Ron Hutchinson 14 mm - Strawberry (red), but I've never had even a single bite on High Visual milky toffee (white), High Visual Tutti frutti (orange)!
    You've never seen dawn. The real dawn. Only the angler knows the exact taste of the morning, the taste of a dawning spring day's bread and coffee. He's the only one having the exorbitant privileges. (René Fallet)

If brand names are OK then it was Sonubaits Fibre Paste in Krill flavor. I ground up my friends Slayer Triple S boilies to add to that mix. Triple S is krill and green lipped mussel, I believe.

At another swim further down the river last year I found a large shoal on the feed. This paste mix brought about 15 mainly small barbel to the net. There were a couple of decent ones though, topping at about 7lb.

These fish seem to move around a lot, there are so many stretches you cannot get at!