Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilled bullets

Default Re: Drilled bullets

As an aside I have a vague memory of a story I read as a kid that sort of stuck with me about drilled bullets..…it may have been Peter Stone or Dick Walker talking about Pete Thomas…I cant remember but it was story of that era ... anyway …the story was basically the guy hooked a record sized fish, Tench I think, his setup was a drilled bullet stopped by a shot above the hook. Anyway there he is reeling this fish in and at the net the shot falls off and the bullet slid down the line to perfectly knock the hook out of the fish.

I'd be interested if someone else recalls the story better than me but I do remember that put me off using drilled bullets and coffins as a kid. Funny how some things stick :-)

2. Default Re: Drilled bullets

Doesn't sound like a good idea for the snag strewn Ribble.

I drilled a few out a little to around 2.5 mm and put a bit of silicon tube through to save the line ; I wouldn't use them in a snag pit but they work ok on the Severn

Does anybody really think that they actually rolled?

Quote Originally Posted by browndog View Post
    Does anybody really think that they actually rolled?
    They deff'o roll on a table top!

Roll out of my hand into long grass easy enough

Not sure they actually roll but they end up under overhanging willows often enough for me.

I still have some drilled bullets, sometimes used. But rolling baits is not new or even newish. A drilled bullet and lobworm rolled along the river bed was our standard method for fishing the worm for sewin, back in the early 60s in my case.

I don't use them for Barbel fishing but wondered if you had seen these. Very cheap from The Range.
    I use them as a basic leger rig with the quiver tip on stillwaters. Free running on the line with a rubber stop bead or swivel as a stop if using a hook link.
    Simple but effective.
    Attachment 8756

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    As an aside I have a vague memory of a story I read as a kid that sort of stuck with me about drilled bullets..…it may have been Peter Stone or Dick Walker talking about Pete Thomas…
    Oddly enough, that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread - it was indeed Dick Walker's account of Pete Thomas losing an almost-certain record tench. It still haunts my dreams...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast