Drilled bullets

Aknib

Reaction score
The method of rolling baits for Barbel has evolved just as everything else has, I remember coils of wire being added to hook shanks and various other adaptations of the theme.

But what about the traditional drilled bullet, anyone remember them or even use them still?

If I can get hold of some I quite fancy giving them a go again this Summer.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Drilled bullets, coffin leads and barrel leads were all quite common in this part of the world at one time. Along with bubble floats, they were frequently used at this time of year by those worming for trout. You don't see them being used quite so often now, but you can usually get them in the local tackle shops.

lambert1

Reaction score
Showing my age here Steve, but I use them quite a bit much as Ian describes and as he says Dinsmores sell them. I find that for some reason, Brownies like a rolling bait and I have caught them whilst pursuing Chub and most indignant they get too!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I still have them but wouldn't recommend them unless the bottom is snag free! If you get snagged you'll loose all your end tackle. I prefer to use a rotton bottom link with a few large shot. You can add or remove weight as you wish and if snagged up the shot will slip off the link or the link will snap off.

Keith M

Reaction score
I still have them but wouldn't recommend them unless the bottom is snag free! If you get snagged you'll loose all your end tackle. I prefer to use a rotton bottom link with a few large shot. You can add or remove weight as you wish and if snagged up the shot will slip off the link or the link will snap off.

I’m the same, you took the words out of my mouth Ian :)

I used to occasionally use some lead wire wound tightly around the shank of a size 4 hook but haven’t used this for years.

If I’m Piking I do occasionally use a drilled bullet under a Pike float to make it sit up, but not usually when I’m trundling a bait for Barbel.

Keith

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Like Keith I use them under a pike float. I dont know what size you are after but as you are not a million miles away you may have a shop called BOYES which we have in these parts. A sort of reincarnated Woolworths.

They do rubbish fishing tackle but one or two items I buy which are OK. One item are drilled bullets and the other is a line in stainless steel banks sticks which are good value.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a nice collection in the man cave, I have a larger collection on the bed of my local river Stour.:eek:mg:

Philip

Reaction score
What always put me off old style bullets and coffin leads was the line was going through a hole in the middle & touching “raw” lead if I can put it like that & I didn’t like the idea of plastic rubbing against metal. I have quite a few of that sort and only use them as a source of additional weight..so extra lead I stuff inside feeders for example. The newer versions have silicon or plastic through the middle and I occasionally use these for Pike float & drifting setups as its neat and keeps everything aligned.

For trundling I would more go with just shot or putty/plasticine

Philip

Reaction score
As an aside I have a vague memory of a story I read as a kid that sort of stuck with me about drilled bullets..…it may have been Peter Stone or **** Walker talking about Pete Thomas…I cant remember but it was story of that era ... anyway …the story was basically the guy hooked a record sized fish, Tench I think, his setup was a drilled bullet stopped by a shot above the hook. Anyway there he is reeling this fish in and at the net the shot falls off and the bullet slid down the line to perfectly knock the hook out of the fish.

I'd be interested if someone else recalls the story better than me but I do remember that put me off using drilled bullets and coffins as a kid. Funny how some things stick :)

fred hall

Reaction score
Doesn't sound like a good idea for the snag strewn Ribble.

ian g

Reaction score
I drilled a few out a little to around 2.5 mm and put a bit of silicon tube through to save the line ; I wouldn't use them in a snag pit but they work ok on the Severn

browndog

Reaction score
Does anybody really think that they actually rolled?

bullet

Reaction score
Roll out of my hand into long grass easy enough:D

ian g

Reaction score
Not sure they actually roll but they end up under overhanging willows often enough for me.

Molehill

Reaction score
I still have some drilled bullets, sometimes used. But rolling baits is not new or even newish. A drilled bullet and lobworm rolled along the river bed was our standard method for fishing the worm for sewin, back in the early 60s in my case.

d.owens

Reaction score
I don't use them for Barbel fishing but wondered if you had seen these. Very cheap from The Range.
I use them as a basic leger rig with the quiver tip on stillwaters. Free running on the line with a rubber stop bead or swivel as a stop if using a hook link.
Simple but effective.
View attachment 8756

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
As an aside I have a vague memory of a story I read as a kid that sort of stuck with me about drilled bullets..…it may have been Peter Stone or **** Walker talking about Pete Thomas…

Oddly enough, that's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thread - it was indeed **** Walker's account of Pete Thomas losing an almost-certain record tench. It still haunts my dreams...