Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drilled bullets

Default Drilled bullets

The method of rolling baits for Barbel has evolved just as everything else has, I remember coils of wire being added to hook shanks and various other adaptations of the theme.

But what about the traditional drilled bullet, anyone remember them or even use them still?

If I can get hold of some I quite fancy giving them a go again this Summer.
    Born to mow... Long grass is our enemy!

Default Re: Drilled bullets

I use them now and again , they're great for getting under over hanging trees and other likely chub haunts

Dinsmores Ball Legers

Drilled bullets, coffin leads and barrel leads were all quite common in this part of the world at one time. Along with bubble floats, they were frequently used at this time of year by those worming for trout. You don't see them being used quite so often now, but you can usually get them in the local tackle shops.

Showing my age here Steve, but I use them quite a bit much as Ian describes and as he says Dinsmores sell them. I find that for some reason, Brownies like a rolling bait and I have caught them whilst pursuing Chub and most indignant they get too!
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

I've been using these:

35 x mixed 1/2,3/4,1oz egg drilled bullet coarse game fishing sinker weights | eBay

and even down into the 3-6gm sizes as "olivettes".

I still have them but wouldn't recommend them unless the bottom is snag free! If you get snagged you'll loose all your end tackle. I prefer to use a rotton bottom link with a few large shot. You can add or remove weight as you wish and if snagged up the shot will slip off the link or the link will snap off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    I still have them but wouldn't recommend them unless the bottom is snag free! If you get snagged you'll loose all your end tackle. I prefer to use a rotton bottom link with a few large shot. You can add or remove weight as you wish and if snagged up the shot will slip off the link or the link will snap off.
    I’m the same, you took the words out of my mouth Ian

I used to occasionally use some lead wire wound tightly around the shank of a size 4 hook but haven’t used this for years.

If I’m Piking I do occasionally use a drilled bullet under a Pike float to make it sit up, but not usually when I’m trundling a bait for Barbel.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 30-03-2020 at 21:51.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Like Keith I use them under a pike float. I dont know what size you are after but as you are not a million miles away you may have a shop called BOYES which we have in these parts. A sort of reincarnated Woolworths.

They do rubbish fishing tackle but one or two items I buy which are OK. One item are drilled bullets and the other is a line in stainless steel banks sticks which are good value.

I have a nice collection in the man cave, I have a larger collection on the bed of my local river Stour.

What always put me off old style bullets and coffin leads was the line was going through a hole in the middle & touching “raw” lead if I can put it like that & I didn’t like the idea of plastic rubbing against metal. I have quite a few of that sort and only use them as a source of additional weight..so extra lead I stuff inside feeders for example. The newer versions have silicon or plastic through the middle and I occasionally use these for Pike float & drifting setups as its neat and keeps everything aligned.

For trundling I would more go with just shot or putty/plasticine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast