3 piece rods

dalesman

Reaction score
I lad in the village has just retired and wants to go barbel and chub fishing once this is all over.

He looking for a 1.5tc 3 piece rod as hes has a small Ford Ka, 6' sections dont fit

Can you lads help

Reaction score
The only rod I can think of(in three equal sections is the Harrison triptech. Dont know if they are still made,but think they are...

Philip

Reaction score
He could look at some of the travel rods. I have an ABU one that is about right for Barbel, 11 foot 6inch & breaks down to 5 equal parts. They do others that break into 4 parts.

Diawa did some rods Avon type rods that broke down into 3 parts but they were not equal length.

nottskev

Reaction score
If he's not set on a barbel-type rod, he might think about something at the heavy end of feeder rods. I know the action is not ideal for big barbel, and they don't usually come with test curve ratings, but if he finds there are more chub than barbel about (quite likely in many places) then a feeder rod might suit. The option of using tips which are more sensitive/revealing about bites that don't pull your rod round could be an advantage. I've got barbel rods, but I'll happily use a feeder rod (a Daiwa Spectron 11/13 Extra Heavy, lines 3-10lb, two tops, one hollow, one carrier plus tips) for fishing where I get lots of chub and a few barbel that aren't huge. The two lengths make it quite versatile and it packs down the same as a 13' float rod.

john step

Reaction score
There are John Wilson Travel Barbel rods on Amazon and the Ebay.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Hi, I was just about to list a rod that may just be what your friend is looking for. It is a Daiwa12' - 3 piece feeder rod in excellent condition. Should be ideal for barbel/chub. If you think it might do the job I can email over some pics if that would help
Regards - Kevin

seth49

Reaction score
My two greys prodigy barbel rods in 1 1/2 lb test curve are both three piece,

He wouldn’t be disappointed with one of these, I wouldn’t part with mine.

Rich P

Reaction score
The 11' Harrison 4-piece Avon is perfect for the job, if your friend doesn't mind an extra piece? I've landed barbel over 14lb and it's more than good enough. The test curve is 1.5lb, and the rod has a through action.

Molehill

Reaction score
I have a Harrison Tryptic in 3 pce, built it many years ago as my first decent barbel rod. Eventually I built others and it was hardly used for years. Then took it out again last year and thought "Why the hell was I not using this"? It is a good all round rod, a mate has one and wanted another a couple of years back but couldn't source one from Harrisons, possibly one of the custom builders (have a blank in stock) could help but expensive. Harrisons would be able to roll a blank up, just a matter of getting them to roll a single rod blank!

Also have their Avon 4 pce which is nice and very handy rod, but overall I would go for a Tryptic which has a bit more grunt imo.

terry m

Reaction score
My two greys prodigy barbel rods in 1 1/2 lb test curve are both three piece,

He wouldn’t be disappointed with one of these, I wouldn’t part with mine.

Agree with this. I have 2 x 1.5 tc also, they are brilliant. Whilst they may struggle on large rivers in flood, for all other conditions they area joy to use and the feedback during big fish fights is outstanding.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
JW Young Travel Barbel, it's a 5 piece and every now and then they sell for pennies on eBay.

I picked up their 13-15ft trotter for literal pocket change, it's decent for what it is. I wouldn't have been too happy had I paid the full RRP though.

valetudoguy

Reaction score
JW Young Travel Barbel, it's a 5 piece and every now and then they sell for pennies on eBay.

I picked up their 13-15ft trotter for literal pocket change, it's decent for what it is. I wouldn't have been too happy had I paid the full RRP though.

Just checked my eBay history, I got it for £11.50 brand new

TrickyD

Reaction score
Not sure if it's too late, but I got one of these in 13', lovely look and feel, sure it will handle barbel, but not used it yet.