a decent bag for roving

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi folks

ay ideas for a good roving ruck sack that will take the fox clear tackle/lure boxes?

most of the ones i have seen so far have been to big and geared towards carp anglers!

i undestand that gardener have just bought one out...anyone know if they are any good?

thanks guys

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
I've just bought a Dean Macey "Bait Bucket"; takes a medium sized fox clear box perfectly and only £12.99 (honestly!!)from Climax fishing tackle /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif. Perfect for roving for barbel on small rivers (I've bought mine for fishing the River Rother) and enough room left to carry areasonable amount ofbait as well asscales, camera, flask, leads etc.

For the money its unbeleivable value and will I believe, become a bit of a cult item for serious river anglers with low disposable income.

Bought the rod quiver from the same range too but the pockets aren't deep enough to cover the reels/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
thanks for that tony,

will have a look in climax when im in dronfield in a couple of weeks.

where on the rother are you fishing...been meaning to give it a go for ages...you might have seen my posts about fishing the ribble in preston but thats because my girlfriend lives there, i actully live in pilsley near clay cross...rother street...the sorce of the rother!! so there you go...lol!

cheers mate

Red Army

Reaction score
Don't know know what too big would be for you but I find the Korum Ruck Bag just about perfect for roving and you can even clip a Korum lightweight chair on it.

Stuthebroo

Reaction score
I looked on Climax tackle yesterday. Dean Macey bait buckets have sold out. I have some other items from the range and find them good quality and well made as well as being sensibly priced. I use the Korum rucksack, probably a bit big if you want to rove but it very comfortable to carry and plenty of room.

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
I do a lot of roving on the middle severn and try the chub bag but was a bit to small. The ruck bag is too big and once you put a chair i was not moving as often as i should. I have try 3 of what peope have told you and the best by far is Korum tackle and bait bag . Well worth it mate

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hi dean,

cheers for that mate, will have to have a look.

i think people have diferent ideas about what size bag to use but i don't mind humping a large bag about with me so long as i can carry tackle and enough food with me. its just that most bags/rucksacks never seem to fit the size of tackle box that i like, most are made to fit a certain box...ie, the fox box in fox and korum in korum, etc...get my drift!

been looking at the gardener barbel rucksack and thet does look a nice bit of kit for the price.

Alan Roe

Reaction score
This may be something of a first but I agree with Fred Bonney the Korum Tackle and Bait bag is the way to go a top piece of kit. I have had one since they first came on the market and I haven't seen anything that betters it

Specihunter

Reaction score
having got all the korum range i won't swap anything for the world plus get there tackle boxes and you get even more space.

Lark

Reaction score
Mark,

I can't comment on many of the other brands but I bought the new-ish Gardner roving rucksack about a year and a half ago and cannot fault it.

It's the best designedand most comfortable rucksack I've ever used.

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Depends on the definition of roving - do you mean walking then staying put for a while or making a few casts into a swimthen moving on to the next? As this is the Barbel forum I would think the former, which is what I'm faced with.

Having tried various combinations out I have now firmly settled on the Korum Ruckbag. Easy to carry, comfortable, quite spacious, lays flat for really great access to gear, loads of pockets - I could go as I just LOVE this piece of kit.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

F

Fred Bonney

Having not known, we didn't agree on somethings Alan, I'm glad you agree with me.

At least on somethings./forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Fine piece of kit, apart from that silver liner, oh and their badge is working loose!

DEAN ASTON

Reaction score
When i roving i only stop in a swim 20 mins or so the gardner is to big for that but if i was only going to fish one or two swims then it be fine .

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
The chub tackle rova bag suggested by woody the wolfman looks about the right size but at £27.99 (probably get it cheaper if you shop around) was too expensive for me.

The Korum Tackle & Bait bag looks a nice piece of kit but again, for a tight arse like me it was a bit on the pricey side for me.

My definition of roving is moving pretty regularly; say every 15 - 30 minutes depending on my gut feel. I've found that when I take a chair, however small and lightweight, it becomes a bit of a chore fastening it on to the bag after you've done it a few times. I just have a small fold up mat that I use to sit on if the swim I'm fishing in is muddy; most of the time I just sit on the floor.

I'm a big believer that if you get too comfy when your fishing, you tend to drop into chill out mode and not move swims as much as when you're "chairless". Great if you've gone fishing solely to chill out, but not so good if you've gone out with the intention to search for and (hopefully!!) catch fish.

It's an individual thing Mark; one man's meat is another man's poison and all that...

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I had the Korum rucksack, which I then sold and replaced with their ruckbag. I've been using it for approximately a year now, virtually every week, and I just love it. I find it a bit on the heavy side, particularly when fully loaded, although perhaps it would help if I didn't take three flasks with me!

However, for quick sessions I also have the Aldi bag, and as Titus said, very well made and an absolute steal at £6.99.

Tony Cummings

Reaction score
The Aldi bag looks sound!! I wish I'd seen it before I bought the Dean Macey bag; I could have bought two and had one for rovingpike fishing too./forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Stuthebroo

Reaction score
I missed out on the bag but my missus bought me one of the landing nets. It's a cracking piece of kit for the money and great if you like roving. I'll be keeping my out for them again this year when Aldi put the out again.