hooklink braid

• Thread starter alan whittington
  • Start date
A

alan whittington

ok fellas i read an article in the cft mag by tony miles about a braid that he uses for maggot barbeling called sufix herculine which he uses in 11lb bs,i would like to try it myself between 8-11 lb but have been unable to find any,any ideas,i have e.mailed g.marsden esq. and he advises drennan microbraid(i dont get to a decent shop that often so i havnt got any yet).cheers

A

alan whittington

many thanks johnny, just been on and the lightest available b.s. is 15lb i wonder if tony had a missprint in his article,i dont know exactly whats going on but ive heard a strong rumour that shimano have took over the marketting of sufix products,cheers again im becoming obsessed with finding it now

S

Sean Meeghan

Alan

Give 10lb Drennan sinking microbraid a go - I use it for maggot fishing and it's fine. You'll need a hook with a big eye for braid so try tying a hook before you go to avoid frustration.

A

alan whittington

sean,many thanks i will if i can ever get out of my road again(bloody snow),cheers alan

fred hall

Reaction score
Personally I find Kryston silkworm in 10lb b/s reliable for my barbelling on the Ribble.

A

alan whittington

ric,ive always used mono but reading the afore mentioned article was interested,which lines do you use for hooklinks ric.looking forward to your reply alan

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Alan Whittington wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>many thanks johnny, just been on and the lightest available b.s. is 15lb i wonder if tony had a missprint in his article,i dont know exactly whats going on but ive heard a strong rumour that shimano have took over the marketting of sufix products,cheers again im becoming obsessed with finding it now</blockquote>

The lightest is 15lbs, but it's not a hooklink braid. It's a mainline, mainly.

No reason why you can't use it as a hooklink, mind.

Sufix is/was (?) disrtibuted in UK by Gardner Tackle, but the Sufix company was taken over by Rapala last year and Rapala products are distributed by Masterline. Can't see Shimano getting involved in it but there is a question as to whether Gardner continues with it or not.

A

alan whittington

woody, the mystery deepens.only problem about using it as hooklink is a little heavy for my needs,interesting though,alan

W

Wolfman Woody

Well, have a look at Kryston's Silkworm in 8, 10 or 12lbs or Supernova in 12lbs.

You might like Fox's Mega Silk 10 or 12lbs.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
Alan

I use either Daiwa Sensor or Maxima for all my heavy line fishing, including hooklengths.

These lines are reliable and won't part if the scrape on a rock. Barbel are not line shy, so I don't feel the need to use anything that's supposedly 'high tech'

It would be interesting to hear from those of you that use braid hooklengths for Barbel: what advantages do you think it has over mono?

The bad one

Reaction score
15 and 25 lb Super matis for me every time. It eats the rocks on the Ribble /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

S

Sean Meeghan

I use braid because, strange as it may seem, I don't think that its a visible in water as a mono hook length. This is because it's much limper and (providing it sinks) it will hug the bottom. I'm also fairly sure that it looks a lot more like weed than mono does and so doesn't attract attention and possibly spook fish. Having said that, I don't use it where it's likely to get any abrasion.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I have lots of power pro braid... Is this any good as a hook length?? when used in conunction with a combi rig, or other.

Having never used braid as a hooklength.

P

Phillips Jerry

Try leslies.luton.co.uk if you don't find what your looking for,there are plenty of alternivtives service is good to.

Found reading your thread on braided line a bit worrying, I don't understand why you would want to get a fish in as fast as possible the last thing Iwould want is a fish going nuts in the net while try to unhook it.I have only done a little river fishing and I haven't caught a Barbel , so farbut I have caught Chub Roach Carp and bream and none of these managed to take line of my clutch,to date only a Seatrout has managed to take line of my clutch.

jcs

Reaction score
Myself in find ESP Streap Teaze 12lba good braid for snag fishing.

And this last season for spooky fish have done very well on Sufix Kameleon 12lb

But i know it not Braid but i find Korda IQ great for clear water fishing spot on.