What temperature will barbel feed at?

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Is there an optimum air temperature below which it is a waste of time barbel fishing?

My mate reckons about 4 degrees C, below that he reckons barbel dont want to know.

Anyone had consistant results when it is below that or is about water colour and location.

Anyone care to speculate on the best temperature band to trigger feeding?

chub angler

Reaction score
at one time they used to say that if it was bellow 40f on the bank barbel would stop feeding but I don't know I'm sure someone can help my barbels are caught by accident.

F

Fred Bonney

There is a view that 42f water temperature and going down is not condusivefor catching barbel, but a rise in water temperature from below 42f going up quickly will bring them on the feed.

Didn't work for me this week on the Trent, but it did for others.

I can also say that barbel were caught in single numbers, with just one bite in a session at temperatures well below 42f.

So the answer is keep trying no matter what. You just need to find where they are.

As the saying goes you don't stand a chance in front of tele.

S

Sean Meeghan

I believe that saying that barbel don't feed belowa certain temperature is a bit simplistic. There are a lot of other factors involved such as time of year, colour of river, when the barbel last fed, etc, etc. At this time of year I certainly believe that barbel will feed at almost any temperature providing it is steady or rising. 2 weeks ago I had a barbel with the water temperature at 3.8C - see my article.

The problem with barbel at low water temperatures is that they don't seem to want to move very far so you need to know where to fish for them. This makes it difficult on large rivers like the Trent, but if you know a stretch well on a smaller river then it is well worth having a go. One tip is to use maggots as in my experience they are much more effective at low water temperatures than pellets or boilies. I still feed a few pellets as I feel that they attract barbel into the swim, but I tend to fish a maggot feeder.

If you're not too confident that Barbel are in the area then fish a maggot feeder for chub at the top of the swim and a pellet lower down the swim. Switch to maggot on the pellet rod if you get small indications, but no definite takes.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Great stuff Fred and Sean. Real food for thought. As I alluded to in my first post its as much about water and location.

johnnyfby

Reaction score
I fished last Tuesday(Trent), the river was 41 degrees when i got there rising to 42 as i left. I ended up with 5 barbel and pulled out of 2, and one snagged me on a far bank snag. So 8 fish on during this time. I arrived at 6am to a well know stretch and caught all my fish before 1300, i didnt have a bite after that. This i think was due to the amount of anglers who turned up, there was in the end 8 anglers on a 400yard stretch.... i dont think i will fish this area anymore now. apologies for my little rant, but yes i think if temperatures are rising you will catch and in the 40's is the feeding point.

johnny

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Different rivers can run at different temps depending on the terrain the water has run through and the latitude. Generally the further North you go, the colder the average temp so while 4.5c and stable isok on my local River Don, you might be looking for 5.5c on the Kennet.

It's worth taking the temp each time you fish so you can work out a picture ofwhich temperatures your river is affected. This takes time but is worth it.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Funnilyenough Matt it was the Kennet that I had in mind when I asked the question.

Trying to work out if the barbel would feed if I were to make the journey in air temperatures of 2-4 degrees maximum.

One thing, are we talking air or water temperatures? I always log the air temperature and wind direction in my log, but not water which I presume would be a degree or so colder?

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Wont catch them sat at home. I've had them on days when its been brass monkeys and ice forming on the river! To be honest i have no idea on a 'best' temp but even in dire conditions they can be caught. Scaling right down to three micro, yes micro pellets on a tiny tinyhair and a small pva bag thumbnail size produced some winning fish when no other bugger was on the bank.

E

EC

Pete, have a look at John Conway's reports on the Ribble here. John always takes the water and air temp, so am sure there will be some data of interest to you.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Most illuminating Ed, but Johns records show little success with Barbel beneath 4.5 degrees.

J

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Bear in mind that I'm not actually fishing for Barbel but for Chub, so I'm not sure if I could do a wee bit better if I tried just targeting Barbel. Like Wol says scale down and location are probably important, when its very cold it's probably harder to pull them up river into your swim.

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Peter,

The water temp and its trend is what counts. By following the air temps (often dictated by the wind direction) you should be able to work out how it's likely to effect the water temp.

Nothing would warm up a cold river quicker than warm rain, so that's often the best time on many rivers. However, I'm happy if the temp is stable and around 6C.

Check on the weather forecasts everyday, fish as much as you can and take the water temp each time. You can learn so much for only little effort.

As Wol says, you'll not catch sat at home, but I like to follow the weather trends before deciding which venue and which species I'm going to target.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Well I have caught Barbel with ice on the water, and sod all when its been warm. I have had 16 Barbel in one session River Ouse with warm weather, and 11 Barbel in the middle of December in freezing weather, River Lea.

I don't bother with the weather so much, I don't think there isa perfect time , temp,etc, etc, for me it's if the fish want the bait or not. Fish have to feed at some time, that time could be any time.

POLO

Reaction score
To be honest I like the answer matt Brown has given in terms of wind directon and air temp. I been fishng for Barbel as my main target species for arond 12 years n the Ribble and never caught one under 9C. Youmayneed to be top of them to catch them at any lower temps other then trying to get them into your swim. When it's cold I try to go to deeper water and use the roving approach to find them in swims that i've caught the, sometimes elusive prince of the river. Good luck and keep us informed.

Andy B

Reaction score
I can't really add much more to the excellent posts already made but i would agree with the temperature trend theory whole heartedly. In my experience a temperature of 4C and rising is better than one of 8C and falling. Knowing the temperature of the water and its trend helps to decide on your fishing strategy. If the temp is falling you know they won't be feeding much so cutting right back on the loosefeed may be the answer, likewise if the temp is rising you could assume they are feeding and step up the amount of freebies offered. In very cold water i want the only thing they eat to have my hook in so tend to fish a single attractive bait like a HNV paste or similar. As others have mentioned it still needs to be put right infront of them to enjoy any success. For the record the lowest water temp i have recorded barbel captures is 4.7C this winter. Hope this is of some help.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Thanks Guys for all your tremendous answers. Overall I think my mate is probably right about a steady or falling air temperature of 4C being the cut off point beyond which barbel fishing in the north will be an act of faith....

Of course, there will be exceptions and for those of you lucky enough to live close to your chosen river you have the opportunity to monitor and respond to any changes in condition. For me it is a 70 mile hike, but I can switch to other species like Grayling further upstream.

I will get my self a thermometer for the water. Anyone have any idea of a reasonably priced product one can lower into the water to take a reading?

E

EC

I recently got one from China off ebay Pete, £5 incl postage, I've checked it in work and it seems fairly accurate.

Ibought a Micronta from Tandy inabout 1990, it was ace but 'broke' a whileback,but suddenly it works again, if you can get one of these, they're ace.

S

Sean Meeghan

Get the Maplins aquarium thermometer for about £10 peter - small and reliable, reads in booth old and new money. has internal (air) and external (water) readings